American Servers

Gotrag

Fledgling Freddie
Well I'm Considring moving over there...... but having to start all over again from levle 1

i know a few people where getting pissed with the 'Lag' and where thinking about moving over there did anyone actulyl go through with it?

And are there any guilds that would recruit a lowbie chracter and help them out and make the grind alittel easyer.... im not asking for Power levling just a nice friendly guild who can help if i need it

although i havnt decided what realm and class to play... any Suggestions?

Thanks in Advanced for the help

cemi0

Can't get enough of FH
Well there is always Catacombs you can have a great laugh with while getting to 50 in totally new zones :)
I only know people who moved to the Coop server so cant help you there.
But I heard alot of EU players play on Mid/Merlin, but I dno if this is true or not.

Gotrag

Fledgling Freddie
cemi0 said:
Well there is always Catacombs you can have a great laugh with while getting to 50 in totally new zones :)

Yeah thats true but i would still need a nice guild to help me along they way and nice people to chat too..... i would also like to know what would be a nice class to play not sure i really want to play on Midgard again

cemi0

Can't get enough of FH
Gotrag said:
Yeah thats true but i would still need a nice guild to help me along they way and nice people to chat too..... i would also like to know what would be a nice class to play not sure i really want to play on Midgard again

People cant tell you what class to play though. Imo you should try a new class you feel like trying. Maybe some of the new Catacombs classes?

Gotrag

Fledgling Freddie
cemi0 said:
People cant tell you what class to play though. Imo you should try a new class you feel like trying. Maybe some of the new Catacombs classes?

Yeah i Downloaded a great Movie yesterday for the Vampire looks very nice.... although im not sure how the class works... they guy goes into poc pulls a mob then like 5 people come after him he takes all the people down the kills the mob... although he seems to always be low on power not sure how the class works :p

Where is it all the people from the amrican server post?

cemi0

Can't get enough of FH
Gotrag said:
Yeah i Downloaded a great Movie yesterday for the Vampire looks very nice.... although im not sure how the class works... they guy goes into poc pulls a mob then like 5 people come after him he takes all the people down the kills the mob... although he seems to always be low on power not sure how the class works :p

Isnt that the fun part about the game? Trying out new things discovering how it works? Noone says when you start a character you have to level it to 50 :)

Americans post on VN Boards - http://vnboards.ign.com/Camelot_Class_Boards/c14566/

Mr.Brand

Fledgling Freddie
Gotrag said:
he seems to always be low on power not sure how the class works :p

The vampiir starts at 0 power, and gains through melee. There's also a bolt
spell, for pulling, that taps an opponent for power until it starts to fight. Yes,
this works on enemy players with power :)

Power also seems to make health regenerate much faster on my vampiir.
Health goes up many percent, power drops fast outside of combat. This
class has a reverse power system, in other words.

Gotrag said:
WhineBoards, it seems, although there should be occasional realm+server
specific boards, much like Hib/Prydwen has its own somewhere.
The WhineBoards are full of battlegrounds/RvR whines, even on the
roleplaying servers' boards. I wouldn't bother going there.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
As most of the lag has vanished, cant see what youre whining about anymore. And going to the states, will give just as much to any european player.

Then your comment on the VN boards, better get used to it, as thats what most of the players there are like too.

Joining a guild there, seems again VN boards are your best bet.

Void959

Fledgling Freddie
I've played both on ADSL, and i've played Euro on 56k. I never had significant probs with lag either. US servers have slightly less internal *latency*, but this is made up for by the route latency (they're further away). I found that playing lancelot I had around 500ms constantly - very approx, measured by timing how long it took an item to sell after i pressed shift-s and other similar tests.

The only times I get very high ping and LDs on euro servers, inc TOA, are on the rare bad days, a couple of times per month (when everybody gets bad lag), and hasnt happened once since patch. I've almost never gone LD apart from those occasions, on ADSL or even 56k.

Personally I think most lag is down to hardware, as when I ask most guild/group members who frequently go LD or get huge spikes about their specs, it turns out they have a rubbish/mediocre system. Mythics fault for sloppy engine programming? Certainly. But my point is, most lag is not server related, so if you have significant lag probs I doubt you will see any gains by going US servers.

That said, if ur desperate, you could try out the free 14 day trial. Just remember to cancel or u'll start being charged :)

Gotrag

Fledgling Freddie
The lagg wasnt the problem for me... i said it was for other people... the reason i want to move to US servers is i need a change

Tomtefan

Fledgling Freddie
Hmmm well, I didn't find it hard to get 1-50, I recently rolled a vampiir on mordred where I had nothing in the first place, dinged 50 after 5 days and 4 hours of /played. I did almost all of my exping inside catacombs areas as well... ;) The catacombs areas features 100%+ camp bonus, some nameds with static drops of high quality (usually 96%+) and they are usually soloable as long as you have proper equipment for your level. The "WoW inspired" catacombs miniquests is also a nice addition to the game which tends to remove most of the grinding for any given level. I had fun exping at least, it only went marginally grindish around level 47+

The main problem which I have found with playing on the US servers is the timezone difference, you might find yourself in the middle of raids which start around 04.00-06.00 etc etc.

Disregarding that factor it's quite nice really, I haven't been playing any on any 'normal' server yet so I'm not entirely certain on how you would be affected when it comes to finding RvR action :)

I haven't really encountered any specific server lag either but I very rarely find such lag on the EU servers as well so that might not be a deciding factor.
I still have a certain feeling that the american servers are slightly more casual then the EU servers (more clueless people, less optimizied characters etc etc). But that's just a personal opinion :)

HF playing there if you decide to convert, I'm still faithful to good old EU servers mostly... :m00:

Afuldan

Fledgling Freddie
The lowdown on Cats classes:

I'm from the american PvP server mordred. due to the extremist values many of our players uphold, we were seeing lvl 50 toa/arti'd out ml5+ cats toons one, two days after release.

Vampires: Hugely overpowered, especially when engaged with a tank. ANY tank. stealthers cannot kill them. Archers can,but have a difficult time of it, since their powtap interrupts. casters are pretty much the only characters that can deal with a vamp 1 on 1, and even then a vamp has collasal hitpoints and longrange interrupts.

Warlocks: Not much to start, but 43 hex spec rapes at 50. Garunteed to always get at least a single kill before dying.

Valks: Really nice tanks. Don't see em much tho cuz they're not all that overpowered.

Banshees: You will NEVER see these on a pvp server. Just not all that great for pvp OR pve :/

Heretics: Very kewl toons with more than one method of spec. be creative! Mine is 29shield 50 whip rest buffs for the engage/block/stun/levi. it pwns.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Afuldan said:
Vampires: Hugely overpowered, especially when engaged with a tank. ANY tank. stealthers cannot kill them. Archers can,but have a difficult time of it, since their powtap interrupts. casters are pretty much the only characters that can deal with a vamp 1 on 1, and even then a vamp has collasal hitpoints and longrange interrupts.

A big part of this is that a Vampiir is effectively always buffed - not top buffbot buffs but their stats are silly. There was also a bug where vamp's could use bounty potions and power pots to get power - a fully powered vamp at the start of a fight is just evil.

However reports are that a buffed tank will kill them.

Kirnan

Fledgling Freddie
Moved to Mid Igraine, started just over a week ago and hit 44 on my warloc already all solo using catacombs areas/ quests and ID task dungeons. Would be 50 if I wasn't working all week.

Catacombs is a lot of fun, the graphics are fantastic, and you really need to roll a new toon anyway to fully appreciate it as there is not much 50+ content.

Igraine is pretty low population but it shouln't be a problem in rvr as server clustering should be live in about a week. This meens that on low pop servers two will share the same rvr zone and if you wish you can port between pve areas on the two.

Tomtefan

Fledgling Freddie
Afuldan said:
The lowdown on Cats classes:

I'm from the american PvP server mordred. due to the extremist values many of our players uphold, we were seeing lvl 50 toa/arti'd out ml5+ cats toons one, two days after release.

Warlocks: Not much to start, but 43 hex spec rapes at 50. Garunteed to always get at least a single kill before dying.

Valks: Really nice tanks. Don't see em much tho cuz they're not all that overpowered.

Banshees: You will NEVER see these on a pvp server. Just not all that great for pvp OR pve :/

Heretics: Very kewl toons with more than one method of spec. be creative! Mine is 29shield 50 whip rest buffs for the engage/block/stun/levi. it pwns.

Just to clarify some of your misguided beliefs about the vampiir class as a whole:

1. The only 'ranged' interrupt with any range worth speaking of is either using charges or using the powertap (which is a quite strange spell because it doesn't put you in combat but it does interrupt). The powertap is however on a 30s timer and requires you to not participate in combat for the last 10s (hello stealth timer), so no, vamps do *not* get more interrupts then any other regular class really unless you actually count on *always* jumping people.

2. I personally think tanks are harder to kill then your average given caster (including warlocks unless they are ToAed against my silly 9% matter resist *curses unfinished SC*) but then I'm a trispec 45P/37D/21VE/21SM which allows me to have decent melee/magic resists should it be required.

3. The main reason tanks are hard to kill is due to that vampiirs base their powergain on hitting someone with a 1h weapon (DWing reduces evade & block chance by roughly 50% while a 2h weapon reduces parrying with roughly 50%) although my dex is currently uncapped *yet again curses the guild SCer for never being online* so I'm lacking some of my effective weaponskill. The 30% fumble debuff works like a charm though but tanks are still a tough nut to crack as vampiir defenses are unaffected by stats (xx% evade/parry buff == xx% chance to parry/evade instead of the added effect of stats which other classes has as a bonus).

4. If a stealther manages to jump the vampiir then I would say that the stealther has a quite high chance to win (the SL buff only lasts 1m and it's not realistic to keep it online all the time considering the 'cap' for running around power being 14-15%). Vampiirs are bound to have (as any other leatherwielder out there) a 15% reduction to their heat resists, that including viper3 (which for some reason is hugely popular among the decent assassins of mordred). Our AF isn't higher then any other character in leather and thus even unbuffed infs/sbs/nses manages to land decent PAs on us and due to having no constant selfdefense (block/parry/evade) they are bound to land CD.

5. As a summary to all this I would like to point out that *yes* the vampiir class is nice but you cant just look at what their relative speclines offer and then go "OMG NERF THIS DEY R LIKE BUFFED AND GET SHITLOADS OF ABILITIES". The low +hit bonus on the followup called shots are quite hard to land against any form of constant selfdefense and a vamp which doesn't land the followups wont do any damage worth talking about. Also the irritating factor of the armor debuff that it might recast itself on the same armorpiece if you cast it twice during a fight and not to mention that vampiirs dont get Mastery of Focus and lets not forget that vampiir claws are being resisted at a extremly high rate (unless you are gimp SM spec, those claws are close to impossible to resist).

Flimgoblin said:
A big part of this is that a Vampiir is effectively always buffed - not top buffbot buffs but their stats are silly. There was also a bug where vamp's could use bounty potions and power pots to get power - a fully powered vamp at the start of a fight is just evil.

However reports are that a buffed tank will kill them.

Necro powertransfers still work, I haven't tried the alternative ways of gaining power... yet.

And yes buffed tanks usually wipe the floor with me :)

Afuldan

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah, um, I'm talking because I've 1) played a 50 vamp and 2) fight them all the time. don't try to defend it if you spec is goofy. The spread looks interesting, but it lacks the whallop most single or duel-line vamps carry. if you're on-par with a stealther, something's wrong with your toon. I've been in legends stealther grps where rr6+ infs twinked out will get owned by rr3 vamps in rog.

Tomtefan

Fledgling Freddie
You seemingly hadn't when you performed your silly arguement about archers getting interrupted by 'ranged' attacks from a vampiir but sure claim whatever you wish :)

And well, legends hasn't really impressed me with 'th3ir m4d ski11z' considering the fact that they run around with all melee relics etc so yeah probably, any clueless stealther should lose against a vamp ;)

Void959

Fledgling Freddie
Afuldan said:
if you're on-par with a stealther, something's wrong with your toon. I've been in legends stealther grps where rr6+ infs twinked out will get owned by rr3 vamps in rog.

Agrd with that, the general consensus on infil boards seems to be that a decent player can only take out a vamp if he's several RRs below or doesn't really know what he's doing... must be even harder for shadowblades. (not whining, just commenting)

Back on topic, here's my personal opinion on US servers, some may disagree:

Pros:
-Access to a test server, even simpler now w/ char copier
-Roleplaying servers, if that's your thing
-More players on at peak, 'peak' exists for about 6 hrs because of westcoast/eastcoast
-You get to play catacombs NOW :worthy:
-Patches are released 1-3 months earlier
-Somewhat better in-game support, not that the staff are lazy here, just too few
-Server clustering for smaller servers

Cons:
-Cats will be released here in a month anyhow
-You have to tollerate all the patch related bugs for a few days/weeks, whereas here they will be already fixed
-Server clustering is only a halfway measure to more smaller servers viable, it was intended to stop people leaving them for the larger servers, but as a new player you have nothing to lose by joining a lager server anyway.
-If you are playing from europe and have a good connection and computer, you will probably see MORE lag in US servers overall.
-You have to use the VN whine-boards instead of staying here ;)
-*MOST IMPORTANTLY* Time difference: US east coast is 5 hrs behind, west coast is 8. So when you sit down to play DAOC at 8/9pm they will be hard at work in the office, or having lunch. Even by midnight here, the majority of US players have not logged on. By choosing one the two large servers you will still see a significant number of players on at anytime of the day, but unless you can regularly play at midnight to 5am, you'll miss out on all the guild/realm events and raids, and decent RvR.

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
US is really great ;p

8 ppl from guild moved there and still intact and closing 50

Not even been 2 weeks. havin a blast rly.

Loads of scandinavians tho kinda surprising :)

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie
1. Ordinarily the suggestion would be to pick a high population server but remember the time difference. Low population sucks if you want anything other than solo. Maybe going where there are other Europeans would be the way to go. Most of the US is 5-8 hours behind

2. Server clustering: how it is going to work is as yet an unknown. You may want to wait until its announced. About half the servers have low, low populations even at peak US time. If server clustering goes wrong ....

3. Guild Wars is getting close to launch as well - no I am not saying it will 'kill' DAoC but if you chosse a server and subsequently some of the guilds on that server leave en masse - like Stigmata above - the server you opted for may be less desirable (although I reckon the time difference will dominate these considerations).

Jardar

Fledgling Freddie
Gotrag said:
Well I'm Considring moving over there...... but having to start all over again from levle 1

i know a few people where getting pissed with the 'Lag' and where thinking about moving over there did anyone actulyl go through with it?

And are there any guilds that would recruit a lowbie chracter and help them out and make the grind alittel easyer.... im not asking for Power levling just a nice friendly guild who can help if i need it

although i havnt decided what realm and class to play... any Suggestions?

Thanks in Advanced for the help

I play Hib/Merlin, 50th Vampiir, unguilded, solo and loving it :)
Imo, you should deffinetely try the new classes in Task Dungeons, i did 1-50 in a few weeks only.

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
we moved a FG to alb/merlin, had really fun so far tbh. If you go Alb/Merlin, give my merc Imidor a shout, will hand you some cash to start with. Usually on in the evenings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom