AMD vs. INTEL

A

adams901

quoted from Embattles Link
But due to a mandatory voltage regulation spec change from VIN 1.0 to VIN 1.5, these Socket 478 Prescott processors will not be compatible with any Socket 478 motherboards.

quoted from Asus website for the P4C800
-Socket 478 for Intel Pentium 4/ Celeron up to 3.2 GHz+
-Intel Hyper-Threading Technology ready
-New power design supports Intel next generation Prescott CPU

http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4C800 Deluxe&langs=01

Asus claim the motherboard can support prescott chips because the power design on the board allows it to, if this is not the case then they will be on the receiving end of many lawsuits, and I will be amongst them. (I have to get something out of them even if it is a new motherboard), I have a SS of the page just incase they try to change it :)...

E

Embattle

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10438

And if the report is true, as we've now confirmed, some motherboard companies and some buyers will be faced with a big problem. For example, Asus claims its P4P800 has a new power design that supports the Intel next generation Prescott CPU

Later versions of Prescott use a completely different mounting method, in which the number 478 will be just a distant relic of the past, like 423 pins.

A

adams901

by the time the "later" versions of prescott are out, the AMD 64bit CPU should be at an acceptable price, then I can once again say goodbye to intel.

A

adams901

What motherboards can I test PC100 Memory on?, I have loads of PCs at work I can test it on, but I dont feel like taking it to work with me.

A

Anasyn

After having read this thread, cried, cringed, and cried some more, with a little despair thrown in, I have come to only one conclusion.

I hate you guys.. :(

I was planning upgrade in the not too distant present (well, decided on the case an stuff).. dunno if it's even worth it now (ok, I know it is.. can't run on a Athlon 800 forever now can I?) and even then, what do I get if I do upgrade.. dammit!.. I don't have that much money, so I reiterate

you made my life an indecisive nightmare :help: :wall:

J

Jonty

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure
hehe. To be honest, I'd wait until around September/October time. By then, AMD will have launched their Athlon64 CPUs, and Intel will be getting ready with their Prescott processors.

The general consensus seems to be that it would be unwise to upgrade straight away, since prices are going to be high, and motherboards and other products not as stable as existing product families like the nForce2, for example. However, existing products will fall in price as these newer items roll out. They'll still be every bit as powerful as they are today, just cheaper.

Kind Regards

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by Anasyn

if you live in holland I have a 2800 barton I'm willing to part with :)

T

Testin da Cable

*cough*you pay? plus insurance? fine with me. cash in advance pls*cough*

A

Anasyn

I was only gonna go to a 2600, I don't go for top of the range, I go for stuff that's slightly below and people know how to get working best, it's cheaper ;)
had this thing 2 years now, and it can't run Desert Combat, so I can't wait until sept.. hang on yeah I can.. I can't AFFORD september/october though, that's the problem.. I just can't justify £1,000+ on a chip smaller than the palm of my hand.. and I'm not a very tall person, hence small palms...

A

adams901

If you cant afford the Pentium 4 3GHZ Get the 2.6GHZ 800MHz and overlcock it to 3GHZ.

I was gonna wait for the 64bit Processor but I doubt if I could afford it when it comes out anyway, so I ended up going with the 3GHZ Penitum.

C

Clowneh!

Originally posted by Testin da Cable
*cough*you pay? plus insurance? fine with me. cash in advance pls*cough*

aint that how its done thru ebay too? :)

A

Anasyn

I was thinking more Athlon 2600, cos then I can get a beautiful NForce 2 mobo, and have a viable excuse to have a case so full of fans that it sounds like a small jet plane taking off.. hance the decision for a GeForce FX ;)

E

Embattle

Originally posted by adams901
Asus claim the motherboard can support prescott chips because the power design on the board allows it to, if this is not the case then they will be on the receiving end of many lawsuits, and I will be amongst them. (I have to get something out of them even if it is a new motherboard), I have a SS of the page just incase they try to change it :)...

Small update but Asus may have to change the design:

http://www.warp2search.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=13450

F

flownalk

The barton 2500s are great overclockers just about all of them will clock higher than a 3200xp on a abit nforce2 mobo

Ive got one running at 11.5 * 210(2415mhz) atm, I believe the 3200xps run at 2.2gigs

mhz for mhz amd are faster :D just cant clock one anywhere near to the top end intels :D

could be wrong :D

ps

default speed for the barton 2500xp is 11x166 (1826mhz)
should keep me going till the amd64's come down below a 100quid a chip

V

vofflujarnid

Intel P4 3.2Ghz ownz 3200xp in every benchmark available as far as I know :D I'd go for Intel too since the upcoming of Intel P5 'Prescott'.

Prescott will have new processor platform interface (socket 775) with LGA ( Land Grid Array) pins. It will be same FSB clock as Northwood processors, 200MHz with 16Kb L1 cache and 1025 L2 cache; which is twice as more than the older ones.

The circuit density will be 0.09 µm which is extremely low and makes the processor smaller, stable and cooler. The core voltage is down to 1.25 Volt which provides insane overclocking whilst maintaining rock solid stability and lesser heat generation. With extended Hyper-Threading technology, it enables prescott to perform multi-threaded software applications to execute threads in parallel. And finally there is one new instruction extension: PNI = Prescott New Instructions, which serves to accelerate video encoding and improve thread synchronization.

J

Jonty

Originally posted by Embattle
Hmm, someone swallowed the marketing book.
True, though :D Just one thing that is becoming apparent: Prescott CPUs may not be compatible with many of today's latest Intel motherboards as previously hoped for. Certainly it seems to get the most out of the new CPU, you'll be best off buying a new motherboard once Intel confirm their new lineup :(

Kind Regards

P

PR.

Originally posted by Jonty
True, though :D Just one thing that is becoming apparent: Prescott CPUs may not be compatible with many of today's latest Intel motherboards as previously hoped for. Certainly it seems to get the most out of the new CPU, you'll be best off buying a new motherboard once Intel confirm their new lineup :(

Kind Regards

I have to say this didn't surprise me at all. How many times have motherboard manufacturers promised that they are future proof only to be made obselete months later?!

B

Big G

When it comes down to "what cpu" and "what graphics card", the discussion isn't worthwhile having until Doom 3 and HL2 are released - that day will be the judegement of all.

It's kinda funny when you look at tomshardon.com and see that the 3200+ runs Quake3 at 300 fps, but the P4 3.2 GHz with HP runs it at 390 fps (fabricated figs). Like my PC (2700+ and GF4), there isn't anything that makes me think "ooo need to upgrade": only when i run HL2 will i think that then it will be time to look at the hardware options - Hammer and Prescott + whatever the latest GFX.

Gaz

V

vofflujarnid

I think it's worth buying a GeForceFX Ultra-Td 5900 to play Doom III and Half-Life 2 since Doom III, (don't know about HL 2), will support UltraShadow™ Technology :D

Would also be nice to see the the new CineFX™ 2.0 engine with v2.0 Vertex- and Pixel Shaders.

Users who are viewing this thread