Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Heard the new Prodigy album the other night.

Other than 'Spitfire' and the gloriously funked-up electro of 'Girls', the album is [deep breath]...... Unlistenable dogshit.

The only good thing to say about it is that not many of the tunes are as bad as the resible 'Baby's got a Temper'. Damned indeed by faint praise.

Opinions?

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Awful.

Abolutely awful, no keith flint I think or the other bloke?

Sounds abolutely nothing like the old stuff which was good and im very disappointed.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Liam has spent the last 4 years with his fist placed firmly in his arse.

Worst Prodigy album doesn't even come close, genuine bollocks.

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
Only heard a few of the tracks all the way through, the rest are just samples.

Heard Girls on a music channel and thought it was really good, spitfire sounds ok aswell from the sample. Not sure if I'll get this though. I don't usually buy albums for 2-3 songs.

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Dillinja said:
Heard Girls on a music channel and thought it was really good, spitfire sounds ok aswell from the sample. Not sure if I'll get this though. I don't usually buy albums for 2-3 songs.

Girls is by far the best track. They're releasing it as a single, so no need to waste your money on the entire album.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Sharma said:

Sounds abolutely nothing like the old stuff which was good and im very disappointed.

I've quoted Sharma but this isn't a dig at him.

I've heard the new album and my first reaction was "awful" as well. After discussing it with a few mates I was suprised to hear them echoing Sharma - no Keith Flint OMG OMG.

The Prodigy was always Liam Howlett - Keith, Maxim and erm that tall one ;), were just accessories. Maxim was a decent MC but Keith and Mr Tall were just dancers. Experience and Music For A Jilted Generation were top albums and strictly IMHO the Prodigy started on the rocky road to oblivion when Liam had the bright idea of letting Keith "sing" on Firestarter which I have always thought is a piece of shit. I thought about half of Fat of the Land was crap...Smack My Bitch Up however is class.

Ranting here a bit but my point is that a lot of people forget that before Keith and co came to the fore there were two fantastic albums - my mates had never heard of Voodoo People or No Good for example :(

I couldn't give a shit about Keith not being around - he was the showman at gigs and thats it imho.

Liam was always the "man", but after seeing him recently on MTV2 (interviewed by bellend extroadinaire Zane Lowe) I was gobsmacked at how up his own arse he had become and thought Always Outnumbered was probably going to stink.

I think Spitfire is pretty cack personally, Girls is "ok" but I quite like one of the middle songs - Hot something.

Overall - shite album, one or two diamonds sticking out of the turd.

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Xtro said:
I've quoted Sharma but this isn't a dig at him.

I've heard the new album and my first reaction was "awful" as well. After discussing it with a few mates I was suprised to hear them echoing Sharma - no Keith Flint OMG OMG.

The Prodigy was always Liam Howlett - Keith, Maxim and erm that tall one ;), were just accessories. Maxim was a decent MC but Keith and Mr Tall were just dancers. Experience and Music For A Jilted Generation were top albums and strictly IMHO the Prodigy started on the rocky road to oblivion when Liam had the bright idea of letting Keith "sing" on Firestarter which I have always thought is a piece of shit. I thought about half of Fat of the Land was crap...Smack My Bitch Up however is class.

Ranting here a bit but my point is that a lot of people forget that before Keith and co came to the fore there were two fantastic albums - my mates had never heard of Voodoo People or No Good for example :(

I couldn't give a shit about Keith not being around - he was the showman at gigs and thats it imho.

Liam was always the "man", but after seeing him recently on MTV2 (interviewed by bellend extroadinaire Zane Lowe) I was gobsmacked at how up his own arse he had become and thought Always Outnumbered was probably going to stink.

I think Spitfire is pretty cack personally, Girls is "ok" but I quite like one of the middle songs - Hot something.

Overall - shite album, one or two diamonds sticking out of the turd.

Amen!

Sar

Part of the furniture
Fucking pity. I love the Prods, ever since MftJG originally came out. I still remember my mate teaching me how to do that crazy dance to No Good...

PS: Just shows how good MftJG was, as it still sounds relevant today. And Fat of the Land was superb as well.

WTF happened?

:/

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Sar said:
WTF happened?:/

I think Xtro summed it up pretty well to be honest. Liam started hanging around with his rock star mates and disappeared, nose first, into his own gaping, wincing rectum.

The sad thing is that they really had something. 'Experience' was the soundtrack to a generation. It is one of the albums that pushed dance music into the consciousness of people who, otherwise, would have been quite happy to sit around masturbating over the Wonder Stuff or some other such bollocks. 'Music for The Gilted Generation' proved that they could do more than just ride a wave and they they were not a mere flash in the pan.

That Liam now thinks it's important to have guest artists on every single bloody track is apalling. Keith Flint is an irritating wanker, but him being pushed to the forefront with 'Firestarter' was the right thing at the right time. At least Liam has had the sense to ditch him. The fact that he [Keith] went off and formed his own band called 'Flint' is proof of how huge and unmanageable his ego had become. Maxims' flopped attempt at 'going solo' is just further proof that The Prodigy is now more ego than band.

'Baby's got a Temper' woke Liam up to how shit The Prodigy had become. And he was right, as we all know it was a travesty of a single. The story goes that Liam realised this and scrapped all of the songs that he had done toward his next album. But why then choose to keep The Prodigy going? Why not scrap the whole band and start totally from scratch?

Answer? Because he knew that people would buy the name and not the music. What a self-important wastrel. What an absolute gutless streak of piss.

RIP The Prodigy. Nice knowing you.

Edit: The other one was called 'Leroy' :)

Sinnica

Fledgling Freddie
I loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooved it, this one's a keeper

Debaser

One of Freddy's beloved
Gurnox said:
'Baby's got a Temper' woke Liam up to how shit The Prodigy had become. And he was right, as we all know it was a travesty of a single. The story goes that Liam realised this and scrapped all of the songs that he had done toward his next album. But why then choose to keep The Prodigy going? Why not scrap the whole band and start totally from scratch?

Answer? Because he knew that people would buy the name and not the music. What a self-important wastrel. What an absolute gutless streak of piss.

The change of direction from "Fat of the Land," to "Always..." sort of echoes the transition between "Experience," and "Music for the Jilted Generation."

'Wind it up,' the last single release of experience, was a similar wake up call to, 'Baby's got a Temper.'

'One Love' (which was such different kind of record to anything on the experience album) was actually circulated as a white label before released as the first single from MftJG, not revealed to be Liams work until the good reviews and feedback came rolling in.

So, from another perspective, at least he's had the balls this time round to just do it. And why shouldn't he?.. it's his name and music.

Personally, I think it's an average album :p

Sar

Part of the furniture
Got it.

Listened to the whole thing, well tried to in one sitting - the album gets very tired about halfway through. It's like he thinks up about 12 bars of music for each track then sits it on repeat for 4 mins, with the occassional breakbeat.

You'll be under my wheels, Spitfire, Girls, Medusa's Path and that's it. The rest are a bit shit tbh.

:(

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Sharma said:
Awful.

Ok i'm gonna take this back, the albums actually starting to grow on me a bit and is becoming more well, listenable. :p

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Sharma said:
Ok i'm gonna take this back, the albums actually starting to grow on me a bit and is becoming more well, listenable. :p

Unlike me then mate. Played Girls and Hotride a few times, now consigned to dustbin.

ReActor

Fledgling Freddie
Sharma said:

Even so, it's still pretty sad that this is a Prodigy album you're talking about. A few years ago I would have considered this an essential purchase, but now I've just lost interest, and based on what you guys are saying I won't bother.

There's a lot of great music out there I have to buy, no point wasting money on this kinda thing. It's just like with Orbital's Blue Album and Underworlds' A Hundred Days Off - seriously disappointing in both cases. It really makes me sad that classic dance groups can't produce the goods anymore. And where the hell are their replacements?

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
ReActor said:
It really makes me sad that classic dance groups can't produce the goods anymore.

The genre is getting very tired. Leftfield had the right idea by getting out when they did.

Primal Scream are still rocking though. Not exactly comparing like with like though admittedly.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Hmmmm. I didn't source a copy of this for a while given the reaction on this thread. Then a ladyfriend of mine brought round the remix album (from ProdigyRemixed.com), I listened to a few tracks and thought they were O.K. Not brilliant by any measure, but still O.K. So I bit the bullet and got a copy of the original album and gave it a couple of listens. My verdict?

This album fucking rocks. It's got everything I look for in a Prodigy album, phat beats, well chosen samples and as little filler as possible. I get until bout track 7 before I feel the need to skip tracks, and tbh that's only cos track 7 (I may be wrong on the number, dunno) sounds a bit like Seriel Thrilla off Fat of the Land.

All in all, top album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom