Help Alternative to Photoshop Album Starter Edition

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Hi,

My mum has had version 2 of this on her computer for years and it is perfect for what she needed (downloading pics from camera, organisation, slideshow etc). She opened it yesterday and it said "version 3 is available" so she updated. Version 3 installed, then opened and said she needed to register in order to unlock it. She did that, then she got an email saying that it had been discontinued and that she should get Photoshop Elements 9 (which is not as free as Album Starter Edition). So now she can't open v3 and it has nuked the install of 2 during the update process. :\

All her pics are still there ofc and there's nothing valuable lost from the program's catalog or anything (she never rates images or anything like that).

So I'm after some freeware (or paid if it's good at what she needs and simple, intuitive and sixty-something-year-old-mother-friendly :) ) alternative just for cataloguing and viewing images. No "proper" editing required whatsoever.

Any ideas? Cheers.

Edit - from the wiki...
A Windows-only freeware version, Photoshop Album Starter Edition 3.2, was provided until June 30, 2009. Support was provided until the day after. Photoshop Album Starter Edition includes features like red-eye correction, brightness adjustment, calendar view and image tagging.
So wtf was it doing just offering me the update now when it knew full well that it was discontinued 2 years ago. :\

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Oh yeah I forgot about Picasa. Thanks!

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
AcdSee is awful.

Try XnView, it's free.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I liked ACDSee Pro about 5 years ago but that was a pretty straight editing app (good for batch resizing and stuff). I tried a trial or something of their Photo Manager and found it a bit muddled and not very intuitive.

Woo, XnView looks pretty nifty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom