Allmusic.com and it's alternatives

shanks

Fledgling Freddie
Activity has been done abit lately so guess ill start a few helpful threads. Starting with this one:

So what do you do when you have found an artist you really like that happends to belong to a genre that you know absolutely nothing about? You wanna hear more similar music ofcourse but how? What im trying to do in this thread is trying to make a list of those sites that feature the "similar artist" search option. Feel free to add sites that you feel I have missed.

www.allmusic.com
The daddy of these sites. It has gotten worse recently though due to redesign and from what gathered change in management. Huge archive of albums but the similar artist option is abit too wide for my taste. Still a nice place to start.

gnoosic.com
Great page I only recently discovered. It works like this: you enter three artists you like and the server suggests ten other bands you can rate by like, dont like or have'nt heard. I find it's not as informative as allmusic.com but the recommendation aspect is alot better.

http://www.musicplasma.com/
Pretty cool maplike drawout of similar artists, again not as informative as allmusic and the recommendations does'nt go as deep as id like them but still it's pretty cool to get a overview like this.

Have I missed anyone of these? Feel free to help out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom