All Xp Users Read Now, Important

S

ShavedApe

THIS IS A MAJOR SECURITY ALERT FOR XP

Biggest Security Hole Ever ....read This

it is very simple to execute this. Someone could easily delete your windows folder just by you visiting a webpage.

If you can't install SP1 do the following

1. Perform a search for a file on your C drive called "uplddrvinfo.htm."

2. Once you've found the file, delete it or rename it. Doing so will not hinder your ability to use Windows XP.

Attention Windows XP Users

A little-known but critical vulnerability exists in Windows XP.

It has recently been repaired in Service Pack 1.

This vulnerability allows the files contained in any specified directory on your system to be deleted if you click on a specially formed URL. This URL could appear anywhere: sent in malicious eMail, in a chat room, in a newsgroup posting, on a malicious web page, or even executed when your computer merely visits a malicious web page. It is likely to be widely exploited soon.

This vulnerability is so dangerous that it would be irresponsible for me to say more. Microsoft has known of this problem for months and has, inexplicably, done nothing before now. Although XP's Service Pack 1 is not small (approx 30 MB for express installation or 140 MB for the network install), and even though a much quicker and easier solution to this problem exists, the only thing I can safely recommend (without revealing too much) is to urge all XP users to somehow obtain and install Service Pack 1 immediately. (If you have a slow Internet connection, perhaps a friend can download the executable Service Pack file and burn it onto a CD for you?)

This problem does not affect any systems other than Windows XP. If you have any friends or co-workers running Windows XP, please urge them to update their systems' too.

the file is in this location.

*:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\system\dfs\
Replace * with the correct drive letter.

Info from national tv airing at.

http://www.techtv.com

Makes me glad I never made the switch to XP but thought it was worthwhile passing on the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom