All patches through BiTorrent? oO

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Reading through this US thread, it looks like all WoW patches will need to be downloaded through the Blizzard BT client, or even worse.. from Fileplanet oO

Seems like using a private .torrent will be the only way :/

Mishy

One of Freddy's beloved
this imo is the one thing wrong with WoW atm. I can understand downloading the client via bittorrent, but really cant see why they are using it for patches aswell since they are alot smaller in size. Im not aware of any other mmorpg which does this, so bliz can hardly blame bandwidth costs.

If they are going to insist on this, then they really must update that pos downloader they use.

Vesuvius

Fledgling Freddie
downloaded the whole EU beta client from a DAoC m8 at 230 kbs(2.4gig), apparently only a few mbs download once the beta is active... if its accurate i'll post the torrent. :clap: :clap: :clap:

btw i'm extremely bladdered so dont rely on what i say cos it might be alcohol/christmas related.

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Think its still the ingame patcher? Maybe thats an option for people that dont want to use it for some reason...

Nirawen

Fledgling Freddie
Escape said:
Reading through this US thread, it looks like all WoW patches will need to be downloaded through the Blizzard BT client, or even worse.. from Fileplanet oO

Seems like using a private .torrent will be the only way :/
Whats wrong with fileplanet lol, i get over 1mbs from their founders servers, and 500kbs from the normal ones :twak:

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
1mbps isnt all that much tbh..
I found the fileplanet servers steady but slow

Shrye

One of Freddy's beloved
Yep, it's really sad... Took a couple of hours to get all the patches from the Blizz downloader for the US version the other day =\

Guess Blizzard is just too greedy to bother invest in a little more bandwidth, so people can actually download the patches at a decent speed -.-

Poag

m00?
Client versions are through .torrent [didn't have anytrouble myself got the Eu Client at 80Kbs overnigh]

Game patchs [not client revisions] are like daoc, game has a inbuilt patcher.

Also the EU Beta is now on 'Final' which is the client version that the US went live with and are currently running...aka Retail 1, although it appears as 1.2 etc :)

As the patchs come out they may follow the DAoC version of renaming the game with each game patch....1.70 1.71 etc.

I seriosuly doubt there will be any other client revisions tho, we are about 2 months from launch [ish] so getting another revision out would be a bit of a trouble.

Anywho thats my take on things

/me goes off to enjoy some more Xmas spirit.

-Gale

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Gale said:
Game patchs [not client revisions] are like daoc, game has a inbuilt patcher.
Just a heads up for you. The ingame patcher is a torrent client.

That being said, I'm kinda glad they're spending the money they save on bandwidth on improving the game. If you don't like torrents, wait for someone else to download it and download it from them.

If you want to use another torrent client, just extract the torrent from the patch and off you go.

But it's more fun just to whine, isn't it?

Khale

Fledgling Freddie
LOL why is everyone so pissed about a torrent patcher? The patcher went even better then the non-blizzard torrent.

Fin

Fledgling Freddie
fileplanet works great here, 200K max d/l so whats prob with that ?
if u dont like waiting lines in FP, then sub in and no waiting, simple as that, and i find 20min wait not so long.

Poag

m00?
Whisperess said:
Just a heads up for you. The ingame patcher is a torrent client.

Ah cunning

TBH never had much trouble with torrents...maybe because i don't expect them to be blindingly fast.

Got good speeds on the Blizz torrent for US Open Beta, got not quite so good speeds on the EU client [downloaded with BitComet] think i got the whole client in less than 24 hours...well i started it when i got home from work..next day when i got home from work it was finished.

Key is not doing like the yanks do and set there upload to 1kbs, and setting ur router up correctly :) but thats a whole other thread waiting int he wings.

-Gale

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Whisperess said:
But it's more fun just to whine, isn't it?

It's kinda cheeky to abuse your subscriber's bandwidth to distribute patches... and this, without even telling them.

Shrye

One of Freddy's beloved
What exactly makes you think they're going to spend anymore money on supporting the game, than other companies? They got one objective, to earn alot of money - and just like any other company, they won't be offering excessive extras 'for free', just because they're saving bandwidth on patches. Rather, I can't see how it won't be extra profits for them instead, especially seeing as there's been no public notices about <insert x feature> in exchange.

... talk about being naive, heh.

(and Gale, tyvm but it ain't exactly rocket science to configure firewalls/routers)

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Nevermind, after downloading and installing the WoW US client, I now have to download the 1.2.1 patch at crap speed. This is indeed a silly method, give ingame patcher back :(

Belorfyn

Fledgling Freddie
Escape said:
It's kinda cheeky to abuse your subscriber's bandwidth to distribute patches... and this, without even telling them.

Huh didn't know the patcher was torrent thingy too.. I thought they used it only for the beta client downloads. That sounds silly.

I tried downloading beta client sometime with the Blizzard downloader. Was getting 20KB/s (I get around 800KB/s from normal servers if they're good) and uploading 80-90KB/s and jamming my connection with the uploads without possibility to limit it with the Blizzard client (not that I could find, I didn't look much I cancelled it after while). :(

The fileplanet sounds like somewhat usable alternative but registering there just to be able to download those and waiting to start the download maybe (was fileplanet the silly place where you sit in queue for downloads if you don't pay?).

Wonder why they haven't made it like DAoC patcher anyway... You start game, it notices some amount of files have changed, you download them new files and you play. Patching took 30 seconds..

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Well, i downloaded the latest EU client in a non-bliz torrent client (ABC) and got between 40-100k. Then when i patched it by loging in it used the bliz downloader to dl the patch and with that i got my full speed 1000k+ so it seems they have more seeds for patches.

Belorfyn

Fledgling Freddie
Fana said:
Well, i downloaded the latest EU client in a non-bliz torrent client (ABC) and got between 40-100k. Then when i patched it by loging in it used the bliz downloader to dl the patch and with that i got my full speed 1000k+ so it seems they have more seeds for patches.

Perhaps it leaves the uploader on when you're patched and go to game, that'd explain hehe. Ah well, that'd be going bit too far I fancy :)

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Shrye said:
What exactly makes you think they're going to spend anymore money on supporting the game, than other companies?
History.

Starcraft was released in feb. 1998. They're still, nearly 7 years later releasing free maps monthly. Latest patch was released this year. This while providing Battle.net for free.

Present.

Blizzard is setting up camp world wide to provide as localized support as possible. Others either have centralized support or sell the game to others (Mythic > Goa for instance). That's quite a lot of money spent.

No doubt a lot of money are going into the company, but there's also quite a lot going out as well. (salaries, for one, server and office costs (setting up 40ish new servers on demand) and publisher cuts another - seeing as how Vivendi has had it quite rough up until Q3 this year - I'm pretty sure they will want their share as well.)

Any added incomes they receive will ensure that they are able to continue supporting this game for quite some time, while at the same time giving them the freedom to create new games worthy of the Blizzard label. Fan boy? Nope, but having worked on games that I wouldn't want to play myself I can only wish that the same will never ever happen to Blizzard.

If you're going to toss around labels, atleast try to have something to back it up with.

Tasslehoff

Fledgling Freddie
I downloaded the beta once with a steady 2 kb/s, then sometimes jumping up on 36 kb/s. (using the torrent of course)

And I normally have great download rates.

Shrye

One of Freddy's beloved
Whisperess said:
History.

Starcraft was released in feb. 1998. They're still, nearly 7 years later releasing free maps monthly. Latest patch was released this year. This while providing Battle.net for free.

Yep. Except, Battle.net isn't really much more than an IRC server which helps people finding each other, thereby adding to the success of Starcraft. However the games are P2P, they ain't hosted by Blizzard. Even today, people are still buying that game - you really think they'd do that, if MPlayer wasn't supported and available without having to find obscur places like Gamei to play vs each other? Not to forget, there's quite some issues with updating the game list on battlenet for sc/bw games.

You say, even tho they released a patch this year; But what'd it fix? Flying drones/templars, which has been around since the release of the game back in 1998 - if you played the game on a reasonable level, just maybe you'd realize how bad those two particular bugs were.

Even then, it's probably fairly reliable to guess that it's the koreans which had something to do with making Blizzard releasing that patch, as they stated 1.09 (1.10 was creep->sunken colony bug fix, iirc) would be their last one for SC.

Whisperess said:
Present.

Blizzard is setting up camp world wide to provide as localized support as possible. Others either have centralized support or sell the game to others (Mythic > Goa for instance). That's quite a lot of money spent.

No doubt a lot of money are going into the company, but there's also quite a lot going out as well. (salaries, for one, server and office costs (setting up 40ish new servers on demand) and publisher cuts another - seeing as how Vivendi has had it quite rough up until Q3 this year - I'm pretty sure they will want their share as well.)

Where's that different from any other company? It takes money to make money. I'm quite sure it costs alot for Mythic/GOA too to provide servers/support for DAoC, just like it'll cost alot for Blizzard to provide the same. But if it was such a bad deal for them, how come they haven't just shut down the servers instead? Heck, they create new servers too, when there's a high enough demand to warrant it - i.e. nothing different there from Blizzard.

Whisperess said:
Any added incomes they receive will ensure that they are able to continue supporting this game for quite some time, while at the same time giving them the freedom to create new games worthy of the Blizzard label. Fan boy? Nope, but having worked on games that I wouldn't want to play myself I can only wish that the same will never ever happen to Blizzard.

Or maybe that extra income is spent on Vivendi for instance? You mentioned yourself they had a rough year...

Naive, really.

Z^^

Can't get enough of FH
Escape said:
well do you have upload per month limit, anyhow torrent is only active when your actually patching then your upload is closed when its done so I really dont see the problem for blizzard to do that, really helps out all gamers to get the patches faster.
ps. they probably got afew comps from fileplanet as seeders also

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom