AlienWare!! puters

Llixeraxu

Fledgling Freddie
Ive just come into £2200 to buy a new computer.

Now.. i want a lap top to do college work at my part time job. BUT i also want to play DAOC ( duh) I dont really play that many other games. but i do ( or will) be playing daoc ALOT. I also download alot of music etc.

NOW

I dont think i have the ability to build my own computer .. let alone a lap top.

And i think the alienware lap top looks ( i hate this word) **bling**

But will it run daoc super fast.. fast or will it lag as its a lap top.

www.alienware.co.uk

Take a look. Advise is soo welcome its untrue. I was just gonna buy the laptop but .. i thought id look to the community on Bw.. err FW for some advise. Although in off topic .. i know there some seriouse people out there. Prove me right lads prove me right :D

Aldrian

Fledgling Freddie
Dunno what laptop you meant, there are loads, but one thing is for sure, that lap-tops wont have the high-end gfx card, not even near and thats gonna bring you problems with games (usually intergated sht).

But i could be wrong too.

Llixeraxu

Fledgling Freddie
Area-51m Chassis with 15.4" WideSXGA+ 1680x1050 LCD Display - Saucer Silver
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 3.2 GHz 800MHz FSB w/Hyper-Threading
SiS648FX + SiS963L AGP8X Chipset
1024MB DDR PC-3200 - 2x512 SO-DIMMs
60GB 7200 RPM ATA100 with 8MB Cache - Hitachi
Alienware® USB 2.0 256MB Flash Drive
AREA-51M ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 PRO Module with 128MB DDR
Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy® 2 NX USB External
24x10x24 CD-RW / 8x DVD Combo w/Software
Belkin 802.11b/g Wireless Notebook Network Card
Integrated 10/100Mb Ethernet NIC
56K Modem with V.92 Technology
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition UK
Mobile Keypad - English
Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer USB 3.0 - Saucer Silver
Alienware® Premium Backpack
Alienware® T-Shirt - Black - L
AlienAutopsy: Automated Technical Support Request System
Aliencare Free Phone 1-Year 24/7 Warranty

Order Total: £2,040.98

FoxeH

One of Freddy's beloved
Arnt alienware computers build by gamers, for gamers? I don't think you would get a better gaming laptop anywhere else, go for it

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Llix,
if you want a very good reply to this, and possibly some options (alienware are apparently bloody expensive) you may want to post this question in the Technation forum here on Freddyshouse.
Those people are the dogs at this type of question :worthy:

Later

Conchabar

Fledgling Freddie
alienware = very overpriced..

i completely despise laptops for playing games.. they r truely wank for it.. imho make ure own pc far more cheaper.. or get a friend to .. not that hard tbh.. although u say u cant well id recomend buying a desktop pc instead of a laptop.. unless u NEED a laptop... and if u just want a LAPTOP to look like the cool kid at college lol its a waste of money and ure more likely to get it nicked ;)

Cyfr

Banned
Alienware is certainly one of the best gaming laptops there is, but I would never pay that much for one.
I know laptops are not simple to build etc, but maybe try from a different place..
Some magazine managed to build a PC for £900 that was just as good as a £2,500 Alienware one :p

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
That is expensive, but then laptops are.
That spec is very high so 2200 isn't that bad.

My only concern is all that high end kit, you'll need a car battery to power it all for more than 1/2 an hour.

You could just buy a so-so one from a discount store and upgrade with a mobile graphics board.

The graphics board and loads of memory are more important in DAOC than the fastest chip.

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Their 5 hr battery life models are so nice. Seriously, who do I have to kill to get one of those? Just point me in the right direction and he is soooo dead!!

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Alienware laptops are just rebadged overpriced shit. :)

If you really do need a laptop, then i would go with a nice Dell Inspiron.

Can get one specced slightly better then that alienware, and of course the big plus. You don't have a fucking big fat ugly grey alien head on it. Added to that the fact it will be a Centrino chip, which means you may be able to turn it on and log on without the battery dieing.

Espec as DAOC is about as graphics intensive as paint on windows 3.1 there really shouldn't be any problems. ;)

Cyradix

FH is my second home
I play DAoC just fine on a Compaq NC8000 after a bit of tweaking.
It has a Pentium M 1.4 GHZ, 512MB Ram and an ATI 9600 mobile.

Serbitar

Fledgling Freddie
Get a cheap ass laptop for college work then spend the rest of the money on a souped up, ass slappin, mean bitch of a desktop PC :)

Purchase a PMCIA wireless network card for the laptop and a PCI wireless card for the PC and hey presto :D

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Serbitar said:
Get a cheap ass laptop for college work then spend the rest of the money on a souped up, ass slappin, mean bitch of a desktop PC :)

Purchase a PMCIA wireless network card for the laptop and a PCI wireless card for the PC and hey presto :D

Agree, buying a laptop to play to play daoc and do college work is like buying a combine harvester when all you need is a tractor and and a scooter.

Laptop only needs to run MS Office I imagine? If so, a laptop aound 600-700 mhz should easily be sufficient.
I used a 450 mhz P2 at work for 3 years, and it was good enough for the day to day jobs, writing letters, surfing, etc. Just make sure you get 256MB of RAM in it, or preferably 512mb

Shouldn't cost you more than £600.
Then spend £1000 on a machine, and the remaining £600 beefing it up with extra ram or whatnot.

For a good system, these guys are pretty good:
http://www.buyanicepc.co.uk/product.asp?pc_id=127

They're Fujitsu Siemens PC's... apart from a heatsink fan that died (and was replaced within a week, free of charge), I haven't had any problems with them since we got our first pc off them in 1999. You'll probably need to buy another 512MB of RAM, but it's not that expensive.... The GFX card is only a GF5200, but that will be good enough for a year or 2.... If you really want a super gaming system, ditch the monitor, and get a flatscreen (see technation forums for a good one), buy a decent sound card, and get some decent surround sound speakers... and you'll be having your neighbours asking what those strange noises are... :)

You'll probably end up with some money spare.... blow it on booze, or stick it in a PC upgrade savings account for when you next need a new system :)

Serbitar

Fledgling Freddie
SilverHood said:
hehe, I feel the same.... I had 850 quid to spend on mine :)

I just buy bits as and when i can afford them... more RAM and a new soundcard are next on the list :)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
No matter how good a laptop you buy it will be obselete within 2 years, it is the nature of the beast and always has been since the days of 286 Toshiba laptops. You are tied into fixed hardware that has very limited upgrade options and don't buy into this bullshit of moblie graphics boards either, you are buying proprietry hardware that is very rarely supported with upgrades beyond 18 months. I speak from experience (IBM/Toshiba/Dell/Compaq/HP approved laptop engineer) that laptops are great for office applications and for remote access. Beyond that they are expensive toys that cannot compete performance-wise with a desktop that cost half the price and gives a multitude of future upgrade options. Your 2200 would be much better spent on a top of the range desktop AND mid-range laptop with a decent graphics chip that can still handle DAoC.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
As far as I know, he wasnt interested in playing DAOC at work, just do college work.... so an el cheapo laptop should be fine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom