Aliasing

O

old.Goatblower

Why can't peeps just stick to their original nick when playing?
Whenever you look at the qw servers there alway seems to be some lpb (or good modemer)with an unknown nick owning all.
Now there could be two reasons for this:

a) Theres a lot of good Quake players out there who only drop in for a game once a year so no-body really remembers their nick.

b) Some good players still think its fun to drop into a server using an alias and own everyone. (or use the really original "unnamed" with a white base skin)

Which do we reckon?

Basically WTF is wrong with letting people know who they are playing against so as not to waste their time :)

Goatee (owned many a time)

T

throdgrain

i've never playd quake online but the same is true of q2.why? i have no idea and agree with you its a waste of time!

O

old.FlameTop

I have been a vocal opponent of aliasing right from the old QuakeWorld days :)

Why do poeple do it? There are many 'reasons' players give if you corner them on the subject. These include:

a) I'm just pissing around
b) I'm not playing well at the moment so I dont want to damage my 'real' name.
c) Everyone else does it.
d) I'm a quake god and if I use my real name nobody will play on a server with me.

However, i have likened alising to wearing a 'mask'. Why so people want to mask their identities:

a) I alias to get more more league games by playing for more than one clan.
b) With my mask on I can behave in a stupid/offsensive manner on servers.
c) I can cheat without being branded as such

FT

H

HangTime

personally i view aliasing as childish, and 'pride myself' on always using my real nick (except when messing about with some ppl i know etc :). in ffa i dont really give it much thought, what does it matter what your opponents are called, its just more ppl to kill. in duels it can be pretty offputting, when u have no idea what u are up against. Aliasing in teamgames however there is no excuse for, especially if pretending to be somebody else, or using it as a way of playing for multiple clans. In pickups it sucks for picking the teams if u dont know who ppl are, and in clanwars its just plain insulting to the other team.

some players have well known aliases which they use on ffa or wotever, which again is a bit childish but there are much worse things ppl can do.

at the end of the day aliasing is part of the game, and has to be accepted as such even if its pretty lame. there is almost total anonymonty in quake, just type in a different name and ppl cant recognise u, unlike real life. Of course when they get caught, said aliases try to pass it off with some excuse, and then pick another name to use.

In a way the old world ranking system in qw had some good points; if a player used an alias then they wouldnt gain any points to their total.

O

old.logic7

BAH!!! Screw 'em all... Those l337 Quake players don't wan't people to know who they are in the event that you destroy them. Many a deathmatch has ended with some clown asking me if I want to join his clan cause I won a few maps he was on.

l337fr4g0r - "Hey, you wanna join Clan l337|\|355 ? log off and come back as [CL]logic7..."

logic7 - "Piss off clown!"

O

old.SpookyD

Ahh my favourite Quake-based pet hate.

As far as I'm concerned people who alias have one of the following personality tracts - they have a massive ego OR they like annoying people for the hell of it.
The ego thing is well documented above ("I can't stand losing with my proper name", "I'm just too good to use my proper name, it will scare people away") and the idea of an alias doing so just to piss people off is a bit sad, but it happens. When people don't know who they are losing to, they get annoyed. And probably start playing worse. Hey maybe it's a secret strategy? Good thinking dicks.

What concerned me is that some people also started aliasing just for the hell of it. All the l33t players did it so why shouldn't they? The result was a load of crap players using different names just because it was 'fashionable'. How completely stupid, although crap aliases are more funny than annoying so maybe that's one benefit. :)

O

old.SpookyD

Originally posted by logic7
BAH!!! Screw 'em all... Those l337 Quake players don't wan't people to know who they are in the event that you destroy them. Many a deathmatch has ended with some clown asking me if I want to join his clan cause I won a few maps he was on.

How is aliasing supposed to prevent that? It only makes the matter worse - if someone (usually a newbie) sees a person they don't know 0wn a server they will probably assume that person is clanless or new. Hence the "you want to join...?" requests.

If it's such a big problem, get famous. Alternatively use a clan tag.

C

cosmos

Hang around an empty barrysworld server are ure sure to come across an 'unnamed' within seconds :(

O

old.logic7

Originally posted by SpookyD
Originally posted by logic7

How is aliasing supposed to prevent that? It only makes the matter worse - if someone (usually a newbie) sees a person they don't know 0wn a server they will probably assume that person is clanless or new. Hence the "you want to join...?" requests.

If it's such a big problem, get famous. Alternatively use a clan tag.

I think you missed my point here. The point I was making was that players that are in a clan will come to a server aliased. When you whoop their ass on a map, they come at you and ask if you want to join their clan. These aren't newbies asking, but seasoned pro's.

O

old.andy0r

Even worse than the aliases are those anti alias fanatics like most of you seem to be (or pretend to be). Same goes to the cheaters and anti-cheaters. Compared to ppl who do f_modified all the time and still call you a cheater even though yours is clean, aimbot users are my best friends.

I do hate players who pretend to be someone else in teamgames or duels but there's nothing bad about an unnamed in an FFA game. Take a look at today's FFA servers, most players use plain white names and names that don't make too much sense. I find it really strange that everyone moans at aliases in FFA games here but most players in FFAs are aliases anyway. So who are they?

The players i dislike most are the hypocrits who go "DAMN CHEATS, FUCKING ALIASES" all the time but when then they're not moaning they're aliasing.

Respect to all of you, you've never aliased nor cheated.

O

old.Goatblower

I can honestly say I've not aliased. It didnt take long to realise that my (lack of)style would show through any name change :)

W

Wij

Don't alias myself. I can see why some ppl do it on FFA though. No hassles. Just pop on, frag, pop off. A bit annoying when 'unnamed' wh00ps yer arse and u wanna know who but at least u can dream it was Thresh or something and ur not shit after all :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom