albums of the year!!

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
no I don't. if I write an album review (I have actually, but not for PF) it's valid only for me. if any poor, misguided souls happen to agree, then I will gather them and train them to be my minion army of doom. DOOM I SAY, DOOOOOM :eek:

eksdee

FH is my second home
Coming from the person who called a subjectively good album subjectively piss poor.

Do you have a point here or are you just upset because someone disagrees with you?

eksdee

FH is my second home
no I don't. if I write an album review (I have actually, but not for PF) it's valid only for me. if any poor, misguided souls happen to agree, then I will gather them and train them to be my minion army of doom. DOOM I SAY, DOOOOOM :eek:

Ha. Music reviews have their place, but in general I'm inclined to agree with you.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Do you have a point here or are you just upset because someone disagrees with you?
I don't remember addressing you in any way whatsoever, but if you insist on an answer...

I couldn't care less; in fact it wouldn't be a good forum without disagreement. I merely highlighted his blatant hypocrisy :)

eksdee

FH is my second home
I don't remember addressing you in any way whatsoever, but if you insist on an answer...

I couldn't care less; in fact it wouldn't be a good forum without disagreement. I merely highlighted his blatant hypocrisy :)

To be clear - both those accounts are me, had some problems logging in on this one so signed in via Facebook and now this one works again.. blabla, boring.

Anyway, to your 'point'. You're questioning me for saying an album is "piss poor" - a subjective criticism of an album I don't like - because I deride Pitchfork's bad writing. I simply don't see the connection, hence why I'm questioning whether you simply didn't understand what I wrote before. It's not 'blatant hypocrisy' because at no point did I say (or do I think) that people shouldn't have opinions on music one way or the other. The point I was making is that Pitchfork try to pass themselves off as an authority on music, but in the case of what I quoted they had objectively got the wrong end of the stick to the point of hilarity.

I actually read an interview with Tim Kinsella the other day which has a great quote about one of his bands that perfectly sums up how I also feel about music and why reviewers for Pitchfork should be a lot more clued up than whoever wrote about Parquet Courts in what I quoted. It was the following:

"I feel embarrassed when I see bands, and all they have to say is they want to be liked. We're not for everybody. It'd be embarrassing to try to be for everybody. We're for ourselves and the people that get it."

There's far too much backslapping in music. I couldn't agree more with you that, on a forum or wherever in life there should be healthy disagreement. All I take opposition to is being misrepresented. ;)

leggy

Probably Scottish

Agreed :) ... and in actual fact I agree with you on Pitchfork. I respect (mostly) their promotion of new bands but I generally dislike their style of criticism; It reads like cliquey, insider back-slapping.

I still think 'piss-poor' was harsh :)

eksdee

FH is my second home
Well, to put into context rather than a throwaway comment such as that, I'd say it completely failed to deliver given how good the singles are/were. I really like Haim, but was disappointed massively by the album.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
pitchfork's top 50 is interesting this time around. I think they're trying to ditch the meh feel they have of late. I like that Majical Cloudz is in the top 10, although I am unsure about their #1.

Some good under the radar stuff in there. Rhye at #42 for instance. I liked Deafheavens album but #6 seems a bit high.

eksdee

FH is my second home
That Rhye record is nice, but it just makes me think I'd rather be listening to How To Dress Well for that kind of 'vibe'. Also into the Deafhaven album, but kinda agree it's probably not top 10 of the year worthy, though it is a pretty unique sound so I guess that pushed it up on a list like Pitchfork's purely for that.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Just looked on spotify and judging by the plays Rhye aren't under the radar at all! Felt so hispter for a while then :( I did post the video to Open in the what are you listening to thread way back when!

eksdee

FH is my second home
Was a few things I was really surprised they didn't have on their list (maybe I missed some of these?) like Makthaverska - II, Peter Broderick - Float 2013, Veronica Falls - Waiting for Something to Happen and Mark Kozelek + Jimmy LaValle - Perils From the Sea.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I can't believe I forgot to add Deafheaven's album to my list :(

mooSe_

FH is my second home
I didn't! Seems like lots of people who usually have nothing to do with black metal at all are into that Deafheaven album.

Oh yeah I wanna stick Light Bearer - Silver Tongue and maybe Inquisition - Obscure Verses for the Multiverse on my list too. Dunno how many albums I can keep adding before it goes from top 2013 list to just 'albums I heard this year'.

eksdee

FH is my second home
There's been quite a lot of more 'accessible' black metal this year - thinking stuff like Young And In The Way, who are actually pretty fucking great imo, but I know next to nothing about BM. Deafheaven is almost Shoegazey though, really into it.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Yeah black metal seems to have really opened up and diversified in the last few years. It always used to be very elitist and bands had to have like a specific sound to be taken seriously. It's different now though. Lots of bands like Deafheaven, Alcest or Les Discrets. Actually Alcest used to be shoegaze/black metal but on their most recent song they seem to have dropped the BM entirely. Still sounds good though.

eksdee

FH is my second home
I definitely prefer Deafhaven's take on that sound, I find Alcest a bit cheesy. Any recommendations on stuff similar to Deafhaven would be really appreciated. :)

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Hmm well tbh I think Deafheaven is kinda unique but maybe stuff like Woods of Desolation or Austere. They have a bit of a 'colder' sound, but that's to be expected really. Not many black metal bands could get away with an album called Sunbather lulz. Also there are a few other American bands that are pretty good. Try Wolves In the Throne Room and Agalloch. The guy from Alcest is in a few other similar bands (Amesoeurs and Lantlos) that are maybe a bit more metal than Alcest.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3FkU-hX-Ys

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTnfzWehaGg

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uicrw38bh-I

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Based on why my library says I've bought this year:

The 20/20 Experience - Justin Timberlake
Brand New Machine - Chase & Status
The Marshall Mathers LP2 - Eminem

I'd probably go with JT just because the other two have tracks that don't really do it for me.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Yus it's that time again! Here's my list of personal faves for 2013:
  • 1 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds Push The Sky Away
  • 2 Sigur Rós Kveikur
  • 3 65daysofstatic Wild Light
  • 4 The National Trouble Will Find Me
  • 5 James Blake Overgrown
  • 6 Daughter If You Leave
  • 7 Boards of Canada Tomorrow's Harvest
  • 8 London Grammar If You Wait
  • 9 Ólafur Arnalds For Now I Am Winter
  • 10 Fuck Buttons Slow Focus
  • 11 Phosphorescent Muchacho
  • 12 Mogwai Les Revenants OST
  • 13 Sleigh Bells Bitter Rivals
  • 14 Laura Marling Once I Was An Eagle
  • 15 Villagers {Awayland}
Anyone else got fave albums for this year?

Despite being aware of most of these releases, I haven't had a chance to listen to much. Today I am mostly using your list as a study guide for 2013.

TdC

heh you'll turn in to a post-rocker :)

There's also an Explosions in the Sky I can recommend you iirc.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Oh I gotta listen to newest Explosions in the Sky album still. New Alcest album came out today too!

TdC

I've got Wild Light on atm and it's smashing imo :D

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Ah yeah I didn't really get round to listening to it enough so it didn't make my list. Having another go now; it's great. Pretty good for background music while working too.

TdC

Hmm I notice I am actually confusing 65 days of static and Explosions in the Sky pfff. Too little sleep 0_o

Anyway, I hear you. If I'm programming I tend to listen almost exclusively to Tool, but if I have to write it's post-rock all the way. I've also recently rekindled my love of G!YBE.

TdC

Hmm I notice I am actually confusing 65 days of static and Explosions in the Sky pfff. Too little sleep 0_o

Anyway, I hear you. If I'm programming I tend to listen almost exclusively to Tool, but if I have to write it's post-rock all the way. I've also recently rekindled my love of G!YBE.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
http://candlenine.bandcamp.com/album/lost-directionless

a3595404758_2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom