Music albums of the year?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
here's my top ten list of fave '11 albums. ofc I could make the list pages long but that is too much like hard work! what's your list like fh music fans?

1. Mogwai – hardcore will never die, but you will
2. Ben Howard – Every Kingdom
3. Elbow – Build a Rocket Boys!
4. Radiohead – The King of Limbs
5. Sóley – We Sink
6. The Joy Formidable – The Big Roar
7. My Brightest Diamond – All Things Will Unwind
8. tUnE-yArDs – w h o k i l l
9. Death Cab for Cutie – Codes and Keys
10. Bon Iver – Bon Iver

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
WHHHHAAAAT?

HCWINDBYW is Mogwai's worst album. It's poor. So much better this year. Sadface at Teedles. I'll try and do a list soon but I have a hard time recalling what came out what year and I have so much music it could take a long time...

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Bon iver, joe coles friday night lights mixtape, watch the throne (kanye and jay z)

TdC

WHHHHAAAAT?

HCWINDBYW is Mogwai's worst album. It's poor. So much better this year. Sadface at Teedles. I'll try and do a list soon but I have a hard time recalling what came out what year and I have so much music it could take a long time...
tbh Hawk is Howling is Mogwai's worst, and HCWNDBYW strikes a chord with me, therefore it's on #1. and it's MY list of 2011, not My List Of What Wazz Likes of 2011 :p:p:p

eksdee

FH is my second home
How about a bit more expansion on why you like these records/some songs?

Royal Headache - st

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44Pf2WpELgY

Absolutely outstanding, by far and away the best punk record I've heard in years. So much good stuff coming out of Australia recently and I'm guessing Royal Headache and Eddy Current Suppression Ring are just the tip of the iceberg. Possibly the catchiest punk record I own.

Future Islands - In Evening Air

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8H6bOqKkF8

One of the oddest sounding vocalists I've heard for the style of music, but it totally works. Great lyrics, catchy tunes. Great album.

Beach Fossils - What A Pleasure

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsj2iipPPts

This is technically an EP, but it has 8 tracks and it's too good to be 'just' an EP. I loved their first LP to bits, but it was a solo project and it kinda came through at times with the songs being a bit samey, this EP is Beach Fossils as a full band and the way the song writing expanded is mind-blowing. Every track is an absolute belter and it melds the current lazy reverb indie pop sound that has been popular in 2010/11 incredibly well with overtones of The Cure.

Girls Names - Dead To Me

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrqrNmKwxVY

Utterly miserable. Brilliant.

Neon Indian - Era Extrana

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Q_JwOqko4

Shameless trendy synth pop. Not quite as good as last year's LP, but still damn good.

Medications - Long Day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4-jO5hPl8E
You usually know pretty much anything Dischord release is going to at least be worth checking out, especially when it's members of Faraquet. This album is just incredible. Reminds me of music I loved when I was a teenager but don't listen to so much now, but grown up. I'm listening to the song I linked now and I still can't get over how good it is.

Will add another four when I can cast my mind back a bit more over the year. I know I'm forgetting some stuff!

TdC

I know I'm forgetting some stuff!
yeah I know how it is. I literally banged this list out in five minutes because I had actually forgotten to send in my entrants to the (Dutch) music site I occasionally work for, and the deadline was the 24th lol. I have a whole stack of 2011 releases but these are the ones I had spring to mind, but I have probably missed out some lovely ones from Little Dragon, Lykke Li, Beirut, Destroyer to name but a few. Anyway, I'll give it a go:

1. Mogwai – hardcore will never die, but you will
I like Mogwai a lot, but the reason this album is on my number one spot is because it had it's inaugural listen in my car on a long, meandering and pointless night drive through woodland roads in the rain, with the stereo on loud and that was a complete goose pimple fest from start to finish. Also, it sounds really sweet on my hifi, espesh when accompanied with a lovely glass of the creature.
2. Ben Howard – Every Kingdom
This album makes me think of summer. I've only just acquired it after hearing Ben play live at Haldern Pop music festival (while it was belting down with rain btw). Also, I spoke with (and desperately tried to pull) a blonde girl from the UK who was living in Germany, and after failing miserably spent the entire festival trying to remember her name, which I had insta-forgotten much to the amusement of my photographer (and friend) who took the piss out of me for three days because I had made the mistake (again) of not giving the correct answer when she asked me who I wrote for. The correct answer being either NME or Vanity Fair depending on the type of girl, and the incorrect answer being the truth, eg a Dutch indie music blog thing that nobody's ever heard of.
3. Elbow – Build a Rocket Boys!
I love Elbow. Yes, it can be that simple.
4. Radiohead – The King of Limbs
I love Radiohead. See above :)
5. Sóley – We Sink
She's a member of Seabear (which I love) but on her own she also rocks. She giggles and tells her audience she talks too much, interspersing this with deceptively simple songs that deeply describe everyday and not-so everyday things. I first saw her in Harpa at the Iceland Airwaves festival in a boiling hot room with about 150 people who were so quiet you could hear a pin drop.
6. The Joy Formidable – The Big Roar
I would like to spirit Ritzy away and do unmentionable yet fun things to and with her. If I die, I want to be reincarnated as her guitar. Yes, I am that shallow, also TJF totally, manically and convincingly rock your face off.
7. My Brightest Diamond – All Things Will Unwind
Shara Worden is one of the more awesome people I have had the pleasure to meet. I was at the festival where she first played All Things Will Unwind, and it was one of the most physically uncomfortable yet beautiful moments of my life.
8. tUnE-yArDs – w h o k i l l
Merrill is an extremely awesome stage presence with an equally awesome voice. While I do not like everything she's done, w h o k i l l simply has to be on my list because it's one of the more awesome releases of this year and I hope she can back it up with more. Also, she completely destroyed NASA in Reykjavik at Airwaves, which won my heart forever.
9. Death Cab for Cutie – Codes and Keys
I love DCFC. See Elbow :)
10. Bon Iver – Bon Iver
Actually, imo this Bon Iver is not really strong enough to make it in to the top 10. For Emma is waaaaaaaaaaaaay better and I basically just put it there to piss off my photographer who hates it. Told you I was shallow :)

TdC

fuck, just realized I left Fleet Foxes out :(:(:(

put Helplessness Blues in at 5, pop Bon Iver off of 10.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
10. Bon Iver – Bon Iver
Actually, imo this Bon Iver is not really strong enough to make it in to the top 10. For Emma is waaaaaaaaaaaaay better and I basically just put it there to piss off my photographer who hates it. Told you I was shallow :)

For Emma is my favourite Bon Iver album, as it's more accessible, however Bon Iver - Bon Iver is a fantastic album that grows on you, and you find more in from each listen.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I only bought one new album, as in one produced this year, err this year if you see what I mean. Unless Wasting Light by the Foo Fighters was this year, in which case that, and Light Me Up by the Pretty Reckless.

Both great albumss fwiw :)

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Let England shake by pj Harvey was best album of the year for me. Every album she puts together is new and different and every one is a piece of beauty.

Amon Tobin - isam. Another stand out one for me.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
I agree with Zarjazz, it's been a shit year for good music.

Also what's with the impossible to read grey writing, TdC?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Also what's with the impossible to read gay writing, TdC?

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe :\

TdC

Also what's with the impossible to read grey writing, TdC?

pasting from a document I guess. it really freaks this editor out :-/

DEEEEEEEEEEBS! Default font please! :eek:

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Use the eraser on pasted content to clean off any formatting ffs noob etc :eek:

TdC

Use the eraser on pasted content to clean off any formatting ffs noob etc :eek:
wtf is this eraser you speak of?

and btw: if it didn't allow frivolous things like lame internetz formattingz then there wouldn't be a NEED for something a ridiculous as an ERASER button. I mean, like COME ON :eek:

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Eraser is the top left icon on the tool bar teedles. Highlight offending text and press it once. Deebs already said he's looking into a plugin to stop font changes.

TdC

bah humbug!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom