Albion Alliances

Weylander

Fledgling Freddie
Has anyone noticed on Duskwave, in the top alliances on Prydwen server (looking at all 3 realms here), Hibernian and Midgard alliances consist of between 8 to 17 guilds whereas Albion alliances consist of 4 to 7.

just an observation but maybe we need bigger alliances? anyone any thoughts on this?

Lubbock

Fledgling Freddie
I prefer smaller alliances, this creates a more tight aloiance where you know who are in the alliance and it makes it easier to control an alliance, and makes the /as more pleansant when you know who is on it.

And when you see the history of the Albion alliances you will notices almost all of the major alliances has fallen apart so ill stick to smaller alliances where people know each other ;)

Smurflord

Fledgling Freddie
I reckon this will start to change once NF arrives.

Then it is truly REALM vs REALM, and the whole realm needs to work together.

A

Aoln

With big alliances you get more stupid people and annoying guilds who want rules to make everything boring (eg. the old PL alliance)

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
Hib has a very good way of doing this
At least there Alliances are almost full (Eclipse/SP etc)

Belgorian

Fledgling Freddie
Long Live the smaller Alliance!! They are great for friendly Hunts and smaller RVR raids! There shouldnt be a need for the larger Alliances if Guilmasters and Officers take the initiative to PM other alliance leaders when needed.

Weylander

Fledgling Freddie
Also why have the bigger more experienced alliances not gone to get our relics back? do you see them as unimportant as you wait for NF to be released? Do you envisage the need for greater alliance cooperation when NF arrives?

Haha questions questions. Good job i finish work soon :)

Krissy

Fledgling Freddie
Alot of albion has been burnt by an alliance at one stage or another, kinda puts people off.

Specialyly when its members expect interalliance events and to tag along on other members events.

Alliances are a death trap for any active guild unless clear guidelines are setout first :p

Mairghead

Fledgling Freddie
Having been in the old PL alliance (Unity) no way would I ever want to be part of a large alliance again. Smaller, more cooperative, friendly alliances are infinitely preferable.

In any case, putting everyone into one alliance doesn't mean that people would necessarily work any better together. Chances are in fact high that there'd just be more arguing, usually about the use of /as.

Straef

Can't get enough of FH
Can spread the word about a relic raid etc in a couple secs anyway.
And personally don't see any other use than that to a big alliance :eek:

Case

Fledgling Freddie
Stop spamming FFS1!!1 Who`s your GM!1!??! OMFg Your so getting abnned from /as for asking for a group FFss!!11

i`m going to hunt down and kill your children for trying to sell seals on /as !1!11 you`ll regret making that plat scumbag!1

yeah i was in unity too :(

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
The guilds who formed Unity agreed /as access would be strictly controlled and only used appropriately. This kinda worked because some guilds didn't give /as access to all members. Some people abused the system etc, but generally the alliance channel worked as intended.

Later when Unity merged with 2-3 other alliances, it was harder for the people who came from relaxed alliances to be told off via PM, if they weren't serious about /as usage. This wasn't PL's fault, the guilds who joined Unity knew the conditions before joining. All of the rules weren't devised solely by PL either, there were maybe 5(?) guilds who formed Unity and all agreed to the same rules. So PL shouldn't be blamed for the hardcore stance on /as usage.

Players no longer like the military style of control in /as, and prefer social alliances. Something like that only woks with smaller alliances, unless you like shitloads of spam :p

A big alliance wouldn't work again in Alb, but there should be an inter-alliance forum somewhere for planning/discussing realm issues.

Amanita

Part of the furniture
No, the big problem with /as on unity wasn't the people who asked questions over it, it was the people that said things like:

Case said:
Stop spamming FFS1!!1 Who`s your GM!1!??! OMFg Your so getting abnned from /as for asking for a group FFss!!11

i`m going to hunt down and kill your children for trying to sell seals on /as !1!11 you`ll regret making that plat scumbag!1

...over /as instead of politely PM'ing the offender. After that ofc arguments started.

The rules of the alliance chat there weren't out of order, but the way people chose to enforce them were.

Having said all that its still naughty of me to be post-morteming <rolls eyes>

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Escape said:
The guilds who formed Unity agreed /as access would be strictly controlled and only used appropriately. This kinda worked because some guilds didn't give /as access to all members. Some people abused the system etc, but generally the alliance channel worked as intended.

Pretty much how it happened. In the early days the guilds who came together to form Unity had agreed the /as rules from the start and problems were few and far between. The rules got eroded over time through new guilds joining, or new members joining existing guilds and with the best intentions those who had originally formed the alliance faced increased pressure for the rules to be relaxed. Giving in to the pressure then led to a more extensive breakdown in /as use and consequently more and more problems... problems which those who only remember the bad times seem all to happy to emphasise without balancing the discussion by pointing out some of the significant impact that the Unity of Albion alliance also had for Albion in RvR, both in terms of successful relic raids and also realm defence.

I always had reservations about increasing the size of Unity, and in my view those reservations were subsequently justified with it's eventual breakdown. On a personal level I was deeply disappointed to see this happen having spent many many hours behind the scenes trying to keep things together. However, that said, I also realise that the game changes, the group dynamics change, and players needs for entertainment also vary. I'm an advocate of smaller like-minded alliances on the whole and hope that with some of the better chat tools available now you guys can put Albion back on the top of the Prydwen ladder :)

Morimdin

Banned
Weylander said:
Also why have the bigger more experienced alliances not gone to get our relics back? do you see them as unimportant as you wait for NF to be released? Do you envisage the need for greater alliance cooperation when NF arrives?

Haha questions questions. Good job i finish work soon :)
why don't you go get dem relics yourself or make a relicraid? why let someone else do it? that's why albs has only 1 relic, people like you expect someone else to do it and you just go on crafting farming cybering or whatever you do when playing.. SHADDAFAGGABB JO MAGGERFAGGER :(

Ivan

Fledgling Freddie
Mairghead said:
Having been in the old PL alliance (Unity) no way would I ever want to be part of a large alliance again. Smaller, more cooperative, friendly alliances are infinitely preferable.

In any case, putting everyone into one alliance doesn't mean that people would necessarily work any better together. Chances are in fact high that there'd just be more arguing, usually about the use of /as.

So what the heck has changed then ? since the old alliance lead dropped ? pray explain ?

Weylander said:
Has anyone noticed on Duskwave, in the top alliances on Prydwen server (looking at all 3 realms here), Hibernian and Midgard alliances consist of between 8 to 17 guilds whereas Albion alliances consist of 4 to 7.

just an observation but maybe we need bigger alliances? anyone any thoughts on this?

since when did u start making sense :p:p

Oro

Fledgling Freddie
Weylander said:
Do you envisage the need for greater alliance cooperation when NF arrives?

I think you'll find inter-alliance cooperation is alive and well.

Mairghead

Fledgling Freddie
Ivan said:
So what the heck has changed then ? since the old alliance lead dropped ? pray explain ?

The problems experienced in Unity had nothing to do with the fact that it was led by PL and everything to do with the fact that the size of the beast simply became unmanageable. Instead of the member guilds being horses that ran in the same direction, they turned into a series of charging elephants - in opposite directions.

The newer alliance that we share with PL is, to my mind, infinitely preferable because it's friendly, small enough to remain truly cooperative and yet large enough to achieve things when we want to. /as pretty much polices itself and the environment is chatty, responsible and fun.

Krissy

Fledgling Freddie
I have to agree with the statement above, alliances arnt "made" by their leaders, and rarely do the leaders have any real say over the destructive power of the force the alliance can muster.

Friendly alliances are what makes them worth it, a mutual respec, a nice working envonment and a level headed person on all sides able to deal with this in a mature and understanding manor.

Large albion alliances just arnt practical in a realm that has proven its just not ready for the responsibility which comes in toe.

^ sad but its true, once alliances become to large, some pig headed arogant kid tries to takeover while using guilt trips and threats :(

Lead us albs alone to be who we want to be :touch:

Bubble

Can't get enough of FH
LoE and sotl alliance Held for a long time, both guilds raided together and Rvred together (sometimes anyway :p)

LoE members didn't have alliance talk rights ^^ was funny how Tyrion left the alliance :D

Revz

Fledgling Freddie
There are many different types of alliance. They range from the big ones set up purely for the purposes of gathering intelligence in RvR and nothing more to the "super guild" types where lots of smaller / less active guilds join up together and /as becomes an extension of /gu. Everyone just has to be aware of what they are getting into and not suddenly find themselves in an alliance of a type they didn't join as its focus changes over time. That is what causes the death of most of them.

Unity started off alright (only officers of SotL could speak on alliance chat although the whole guild could read it) and did provide some reasonable info on RvR. There were some grumblings because of the number of "leaders" who liked to talk an awful lot, make big speeches, set up meetings but not actually follow through with action. I think this was partly to do with a lot of high hopes for how RvR would be conducted which were perhaps naive in hindsight :) It really started to go sour when guilds who were active and could organise themselves felt pressured (guilt tripped?) by the less organised or active guilds into taking part in things they didn't really want to and modifying the way they played to suit other people. This wasn't really what the alliance had been set up to look after and it spiralled out of control as more guilds were added. Eventually SotL left.

The real problem with Albion is the number of peope it attracts who have dreams of leading a glorious army through enemy lands. You see posts crop up from time to time attempting to analyse and fix the realms problems in RvR. The thing is the people who can actually fix it are in game trying, not posting on FH about it :)

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
*waves to Gideon* :)

Lexa

Fledgling Freddie
Was a long dead idea of mine to create a guild called "The Hub" that lead the alliance of all alb guilds, it had no members just acted as a hub of communication, will never work though.

Dreami

Fledgling Freddie
Cos big alliances are shit, tight rules about talking and so on.

Dreami

Fledgling Freddie
Case said:

yeah i was in unity too :(

Hahaha, so true.

Dreami

Fledgling Freddie
Krissy said:
Alliances are a death trap for any active guild unless clear guidelines are setout first :p

Not rly, I've been in a real relaxed small alliance for over 10 months and there are no guidelines.. Still I think most of the people in it enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom