Motoring Air con

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
Ok as I've previously mentioned my car is a Honda Civic sport 1.6 55 plate, and the AC hasn't worked since I've had it. Took it to a friend of mine who works at Halfords for regasing, no problems with the gas, the compressor is working (well it makes a lot of noise) yet there is no cold air coming out.

Anybody else had similar problems and how much does it normally cost to fix. Normally I wouldn't bother but I've gotten used to having AC in the van at work and it's magic :)

Starman

Part of the furniture
Heh yeah the AC in my work transit makes you not want to get out :D

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I thought Japanese cars were bullet proof and nothing went wrong with them? So the myth says anyway...

But seriously, i'm not sure Dave - It depends on what is wrong with it. If the compressor is fucked then it could be £300-£400 for a new compressor plus fitting which won't be cheap either as it's a reasonably big job.

You could try ebay and save yourself some cash and get a used one. A quick look reveals:

HONDA Civic 1.6 Air Con Pump FREE P&P on eBay, also, Honda, Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 24-Jun-09 11:25:42 BST)

00dave

I thought Japanese cars were bullet proof and nothing went wrong with them? So the myth says anyway...

The car itself is bulletproof and indestructible but the aircon must be made in taiwan.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home

Honda are much better at making engines than they are anything else. Toyota are superior in the build quality terms in my experience.

00dave

I just glanced at this on the thread list and wondered when I'd made a thread about Con air. :twak:

old.user4556

Honda are much better at making engines than they are anything else. Toyota are superior in the build quality terms in my experience.

Shame my sister's Type R needed an engine rebuild after a cracked cylinder head which took Honda 5 weeks to fix. Another Clarkson pile of shite myth that "not one" of the VTEC engines have ever failed.

Kryten

Old Cow.
common sense with reliability - just like *anything* mechanical or electrical, there is *always* room for failure, regardless of who manufactured it.

As for the air con - sitting the car still at idle in neutral, does turning the air con on drop the revs ever so slightly?

Lollie

Loyal Freddie
we had a honda civic a couple of years ago and the air con on that went tits up as well

00dave

As for the air con - sitting the car still at idle in neutral, does turning the air con on drop the revs ever so slightly?

Yeah there is definately a drain of power going on

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You should check the condenser for impact damage from stones, etc. Apparently it is poorly protected and Honda will sometimes make a goodwill offer or repair it FOC.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I think some people are confusing the word more reliable and bulletproof :p

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I think some people are confusing the word more reliable and bulletproof :p

Fair point tbh. One anecdote is not a relevant statistic. Otherwise homeopathy would be true and all manner of other shite.

Nate

FH is my second home
I got some pretty awesome air con on my ride lately, fresh air con! Took to riding my bike and it's great, weathers great!

old.user4556

I ended up putting the roof back on the car today because it was so hot; I quite liked the icy blast of the air con.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom