AGP Motherboard - wanna max it out!

Formia

Fledgling Freddie
As topic says I have an AGP Motherboard that I'd like to get the most out of before I do a full upgrade in 18 months-2yrs time.

Comp details at the moment
Mobo - Asustek A8V Deluxe
Memory - 2 x 512MB, PC 3200DDR (200Mhz)Corsair
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (Core speed 2200 , multiplier x 11)
Gfx - Nvidia 6600GT - 128MB

Comp struggles running todays games - LOTRO+CoH have to be run at low resolutions.
Was thinking of another 1 Gig of ram and an ATI 1950Pro 512MB.
Would the processor bottle neck the 1950? Perhaps overclock the CPU?
Maybe just upgrade to an ATI 1650?

Replace all the ram with more up to date components?
Been very very happy with my 6600GT - wouldn't mind staying with NVidia if theres an option there.

I'd prefer not to replace Motherboard/PSU/CPU due to extra expense - dont have PSU details at the mo - think its 450W.

Cheers in advance.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Socket 939 CPU? If so why not see if your motherboard can take a dual core, you can pick second hand 939 CPU's up dirt cheap these days. Aside from that an extra gig of memory will help alot and the 1950pro is a decent enough card for 99% of the games out now. To be honest though you are going to be strugging with that setup in 12 months time though mainly down to cpu and gfx, going dual core will offset that somewhat but in a years time you are really going to need a bit more power on the graphics side if you want to be playing the latest games.

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Sorry but if you are running at 1 GB ram then you really are dreaming. Go for 2Gb ram, else you are just toying with crap and you will never see your system realise its potential. :)

Formia

Fledgling Freddie
Sorry but if you are running at 1 GB ram then you really are dreaming. Go for 2Gb ram, else you are just toying with crap and you will never see your system realise its potential. :)

Comprehension not your greatest skill m8.

I did post that my idea was to upgrade from 1Gb to 2Gb.

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Comprehension not your greatest skill m8.

I did post that my idea was to upgrade from 1Gb to 2Gb.

Not your's either so it would seem, why bother posting if you weren't going to upgrade and yet wanting to max out? Only way you were going to do it is with software tweaks and your obvious negative response has only proved that people were less likely to help you. The software tweaks are hardly likely to prove anything of any real worth to your system.

Your comprehension of the forum doesn't do much to your rep either, that being that using the search button for this information as the information your require is old and it helps to look at various sticky's.

Therefore /QFT

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Unless you have a 19+inch monitor you wont need the 512mb edition of Radeon X1950pro

If you have 15inch/17inch get the 256mb

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
As mentioned, grab a S939 dual core processor for cheap as dirt in most electronic shops (Online 4tw) - Grab another GB ram - Change cooling (If you want to OC) and.. That's it :)

thergador

Fledgling Freddie
FX
fx card that mobo will take would be 1950
that would be what i would say would max out your fx

note: I still having the card for more than 5 months and I have to say that the card still going strong, I was able to max Bioshock and still surprised by the performance this most powerful AGP card, the X1950PRO will have to run at a core clock of 835MHz to have the same performance as the XT since both have the same RAM bandwidth.

memory
the mobo will take up to 4gig of PC3200 but unless your on a 64os windows will only page 3gig
so maybe up the ram

CPU

as other have said grab a new CPU

as of software tweaking use XPlite pro gut everything you don't use and then you might get a little more free resources

Formia

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for the replies guys.
Didnt think a cpu change would be viable but I might just stretch it if it gets me more time out of it.

/scratches head at Imgormiel , really dunno what set you off m8.
Crazy 1st reply to my thread using aggressive words like "dreamer" and "crap" without fully reading it. Then posting again talking about software when I never mentioned it and saying that I wasnt intending to upgrade at all , weird past time you got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom