Age Of Empires Online

mooSe_

FH is my second home
On the eve of gamescom 2010, the world’s largest consumer-oriented games showcase, Microsoft Corp. unveiled the newest addition to the famed “Age of Empires” franchise, “Age of Empires Online.” Microsoft also announced the development of “Microsoft Flight,” a new entry inspired by the best-selling “Microsoft Flight Simulator” franchise. Published by Microsoft Game Studios, these new titles, along with the previously announced “Fable III,” fully integrate the free* Games for Windows – LIVE online service to deliver compelling socially connected gameplay experiences.

“Today, we’re bringing powerful, inventive gaming experiences to the Windows-based PC,” said Phil Spencer, corporate vice president of Microsoft Game Studios. “Over the years, our PC heritage captured the hearts and minds of millions of players. Reinventing these iconic franchises with social, shared experiences at their core marks the beginning of our return to PC gaming in bold new ways.”

“Age of Empires” for a New Era

With more than 20 million copies sold worldwide, the “Age of Empires” series redefined real-time strategy games for Windows-based PC players. Now, the timeless franchise once again invites players to experience its rich storyline in new ways. Developed by Robot Entertainment, “Age of Empires Online” will invite players to create a living, growing online world, shared with friends and friendly rivals around the globe. Begin the journey with your own Greek civilization, and watch as it progresses from a village to an empire. Embark on quests along the way, alone or with friends, and immerse yourself in epic tales, quirky characters, adventure, history and strategy. Together with the Games for Windows – LIVE service, “Age of Empires Online” delivers a rich, social experience that lets you play however you want — anywhere, anytime.

Marrying fresh features with iconic gameplay, “Age of Empires Online” offers something for long-time fans, newcomers and everyone in between. “Age of Empires Online” will feature:

• A persistent online capital city that lives and grows even when you’re offline

• Cooperative multiplayer quests, trading and a level-based system that lets you progress at your own pace

• Fun, approachable style and storylines

• Free-to-play experiences via Games for Windows – LIVE

More information, news and chances to join the beta program are available at Home Page | Age of Empires Online.

gameplay trailer: Videos posted by Robot Entertainment: Age of Empires Online [HD] | Facebook

As a massive fan of the age of empire series I can say I'm skeptical at best, and horrified at worst. I signed up for the beta though, hopefully it won't be as fail as I think it will.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Yup, I loved Age Of Empires III, I had all the expansion packs, and played online alot, I think this idea is good and bad, the cartoony game play really, in my eyes, shows a lack of effort from the creators, but yeah, will be interersting! :)

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Apparently the beta is already running, but I only know 1 person out of like 100 who has actually been given a beta key so far.

Yup, I loved Age Of Empires III, I had all the expansion packs, and played online alot, I think this idea is good and bad, the cartoony game play really, in my eyes, shows a lack of effort from the creators, but yeah, will be interersting! :)

I played a lot of AoE3 online too before SC2 came out, what pr where you?

Wij

I am a FH squatter
AoE3 ?

Pants. AoK or AoM were much better :) I could really fancy a game of AoM. A Thor boat-build or a Loki-rush. Maybe even a Hades tech-up. Never did well with Eggies though.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
First wave of beta invites was sent out yesterday :eek: I'll be getting mine in the next couple of days because I'm awesome.

AoE3 ?

Pants. AoK or AoM were much better :) I could really fancy a game of AoM. A Thor boat-build or a Loki-rush. Maybe even a Hades tech-up. Never did well with Eggies though.

Imo it goes AoK>>>>>>>>>>>>AoE3>AoM.

sorry for late reply - but pr? :p

Power rating. The number you had for a rating between 1 and 50. On TAD I was pr29 (Major) and on vanilla aoe3 I was pr32 (Lieutenant Colonel).

Gwadien

Oh - I was like a 2nd Lieutant or something, I never got high, I kept taking breaks from it as I got higher...

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Well AoM was ok until Titans but the Atlanteans were just retarded.

Anyway I've been playing a little AoE:O and it seems ok so far. From the way they've marketed it you could believe that it was an MMORPG but it's a lot closer to old AoE games than I expected which is nice.

Gwadien

Moose, keep me/us updated on this mate :) cheers

I've applied for Beta, but no candy yet :\

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Well I'm quite relieved that the core AoE gameplay is there but I haven't played the game extensively since I'm still addicted to SC2. The 'MMO' aspect of it hasn't really interested me, and is part of the reason I haven't played it much. I cba to do quests and stuff to level up, I just want to play competitive RTS games lol.
I guess I can't really say much because of the NDA but, as an old AoE player, I think as long as you can look past the strange direction the art style has taken then you probably won't hate the game... unless you hate leveling (which was also the worst part of AOE3) and quests.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Yo I've been playing this a bit again since some other AoE buddies are. For some reason I have a problem where it keeps going out of sync when I play multiplayer :( Hopefully I can get it fixed since no one else in the beta seems to have this bug.

Btw if any of you want to get in on it you can get beta keys from curse atm: Beta Key Giveaways - Curse. Also the NDA is lifted now so you can find vids and screenshots and stuff if you want more info. Also my friend Themista sometimes streams his pvp games here: http://www.justin.tv/themista (he's a strong AoM and SC2 player)

Also as we are probably going to be adding an AoE:Online portal over at RTSSanctuary when the game launches. Atm we just have 1 sub forum for it but there will be more once there is a replay system and stuff.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
I fixed the problem I was having so I can play PvP now! It's quite fun actually. The questing is getting pretty dull and none of the quests are particularly challenging yet (except for 1 tower defence one that I tried in elite mode). They are also mostly pretty meh; 'collect 5k gold', or 'tribute 5k gold to your ally' or 'kill this dude and his base'. Luckily you can get experience from multiplayer so I'll probably be trying to level up a bit that way. There doesn't seem to be that many other people with the same idea as me though. I struggled to find a PvP game for most of today :(

This game is worth a try though if you liked previous AoE games. It feels more like AoM than AoE3 to me, but it isn't really either of them.

Gwadien

Is anyone else playing this? would like to know if you are! :) add my Windows account - Gwadien :)

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Tried this out today, they just gave away codes so you can invite a friend, similar to how Minecraft gave out a free account to all players at one point.
It's quite interesting to see the angle they are taking, putting together a "MMORTS". Potential to be a massive timesink!

mooSe_

FH is my second home
I can't bring myself to engage in any of the crafting or anything like that. I never enjoyed the single player part of MMOs (like crafting, and solo questing) and I'm a hardcore RTS nerd so I wanna spend my time smashing noobs not crafting shoes for my horses.

I'm like level 25 now I think, and my GFWL account name is iarfMoose if anyone wants to play at some point.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
signed up to beta under the impression it was good 'ole 'free to play' as in, free to play. Its not. You get shit all with just the ghetto client.
Found the game a bit weird, a little like an RTS torchlight. It was okay though. Games for windows live is the strainings from the devils jockstrap though.

Gwadien

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Sign ups are open! Post in this thread to sign up and see here for the tournament rules.

Sorry if you already signed up in the other thread; that was really just to gauge interest.

Gwadien

Signing up now, well, waiting for my account to go through, will see you in the final, Moose :p

megadave

I am a FH squatter
It came out yesterday, you get something like 40 hours free.

It's really terrible though, graphics are a joke, gameplay is crap. They've taken a fantastic series of strategy games and tried to copy WoW, it boggles the mind.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
It's not only 40 hours free; it's always free. There are a bunch of other features and things you can buy though.

I'm not impressed by the game either tbh. I might try playing again but if I can't PvP my way to level 40 I won't bother. I refuse to grind quests for gear too, so if that means I can't compete then I will give up.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
EuroGamer said:
You can certainly play Age of Empires Online without handing over any money, but the very best free-to-play games value their non-paying communities because their sheer mass and commitment support the top five per cent who pay for the thing. Age of Empires Online does not. In the long term, it's crippled for free players: no ranked player-versus-player, certain units unavailable, a stunted tech tree, limited crafting and limited storage. If you have no plans to spend money, look elsewhere, because AOE Online does not do the business model justice.

In fact, for paying players, it's even worse: £15 for each civilization (at the moment, Greek and Egyptian; the Greeks come in the £20 boxed version) or a whopping £80 for the season pass, which grants you all content released in a six-month period. If you want the new civilizations down the line, cough up. To play this game long-term will cost much, much more than its competition.
Fuck that, £15 a civilisation.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
That's more expensive than I thought it was going to be. Fuck that I'm sticking with SC2.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's more expensive than anything I can think to compare it to gaming wise. My lifetime Star Trek Online cost just under £220 and won't run out. This by comparison costs the same for 21 months and will expire???

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Liked it for an hour, now it seems rather lame. The constant barrage of advertising and invitations to purchase packs and upgrades is annoying ... the fact its all quests and I can't buy a pvp game for love nor money makes it dull as ditchwater.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Played it for around 4 hours last night i'd play it again if i was really bored apart from that £15 for a civ?

Shame on those that pay tbh.

Helme

Resident Freddy
I didn't much care for the game, though I did like the graphic style as I found it quite charming. Still, not worth continuing for that alone and since it didn't really cost me anything I can't complain too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom