Age limit for Cigs rises to 18

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
I'm 20 and I still get ID'd so I always carry my passport with me anyway. :(

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Bit harsh on the 16-17 year old smokers who started their habit legally and now need fake ID to carry it on.

Damini

Part of the furniture
I'm amazed at how quiet the government has kept this. Good luck being a newsagent on a rough estate today, trying to convince irate chavs that you're not simply being hostile, but by law you can't sell them the same cigs you sold them yesterday.

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
Oh yeah, this just means more scary groups of youths stopping me on the way home and asking me to go in and buy their fags for them. Thanks alot, New Labour. :p

GReaper

Part of the furniture
I'm amazed at how quiet the government has kept this. Good luck being a newsagent on a rough estate today, trying to convince irate chavs that you're not simply being hostile, but by law you can't sell them the same cigs you sold them yesterday.

Have you been living under a rock?!

It hasn't been advertised to death, but it has been on the news the past few months quite a few times.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Surprise to me too but then i no longer watch the news. Good move, if you are going to fuck off an age group you may as well make it one that cant vote you out :p

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Its a load of bollocks, whats next, raising the age limit to buy alchohol 21?

Oh wait...... that "plan" is in the works too! :p

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Good idea too, fed up of drunk little chavs spoiling a night out

Damini

Part of the furniture
Have you been living under a rock?!

It hasn't been advertised to death, but it has been on the news the past few months quite a few times.

I've heard rumblings about it for ages, but you'd think something as big as that would have posters up in all shops, and a bit more of a media presence. Think how much of a fanfare the indoor smoking ban got, and how limply this has been conveyed. I'm hardly someone who lives under a rock, I read on average three newspapers a day, so it's not like I'm completely oblivious to the world around me :) Not completely...

Thadius

Part of the furniture
I've heard rumblings about it for ages, but you'd think something as big as that would have posters up in all shops, and a bit more of a media presence. Think how much of a fanfare the indoor smoking ban got, and how limply this has been conveyed. I'm hardly someone who lives under a rock, I read on average three newspapers a day, so it's not like I'm completely oblivious to the world around me :) Not completely...

I agree with what Damini says, the first time I heard about it was a little cardboard sign on the ciggie counter at Morrisons. This was months ago.

I have seen nothing on tv, radio, the internets. Just this sad, little sign who just wanted to grow up to be a billboard poster.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home

I reckon it might have something to do with the government not wanting 16/17 year olds going out and bulk buying fags before the ban came into place. I barely heard a thing about it as well, it does seem a little secret for what is a relatively major change in the sale of cigarettes...

anattic

Fledgling Freddie
Another reason for a snap-election maybe? Get safely reelected before the nicotine-starved teenagers are able to vote...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom