Help Advice re: Bills

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Both my parents have received bills from Southern Electric for £300 with regards to a flat I shared with my friend for a year before I went to Uni. We left this flat 15 months ago, and they've received the bills within the last couple of weeks.

I don't remember putting my parents names or addresses on any forms when we signed the tenancy for the flat, and neither does my flatmate, as we were both over 18, in work, and had the full deposit so I don't think it was required for guarantors or anything.

I've suggested to my parents to just send the bills back saying 'not at this address'.

Am I going to have to pay this because I literally don't have enough money for food, let alone enough to pay a £300 bill.

edit - Also, my flatmate was in charge of bills and is sure we were fully paid up when we left. Is it worth giving them a ring? If I do this then obviously i'm letting on that I exist, which could be fatal if it isn't just a database error.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You can try ignoring it, or you can check the bills, if they relate to a period after you left the flat then just phone the electric company and tell them you were no longer at the address, liaise with the landlord if you can, it could be that the bills were never transferred in to the names of the new tenants?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Ah i didn't think to ask about the period, i was too busy panicking. I'll find out tomorrow, cheers.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Also check with your mate, if you were fully paid up when you left then you have nothing to worry about. Did he check the meter himself when you left, or was it a case of simply settling the last bill you had?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
He's not too sure tbh, as it was quite a while ago now.

Kryten

Old Cow.
As guarantors, your parents details/your home address would have been given to the energy suppliers by the landlord/uni should they have been missing any payments/details, if that helps clear up the "where did they get these details" thing :)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
We had this from the electricity company when we moved a couple of years ago, we got a bill later on. It turned out that they were billing us for time after we left, when the house was empty, the landlord was basically trying to pull a fast one.

Firstly check the dates that they are billing you for if you weren't living there tell them where they can go. Also did you take your meter readings when you moved out? The bill should have a from and to in numbers which is converted into units used. It could well be a predicted bill, in which case give them the numbers that you had when you moved out.
If the numbers match and you were there check with your mate that he paid the bill, I presume you paid your half to him?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
As guarantors, your parents details/your home address would have been given to the energy suppliers by the landlord/uni should they have been missing any payments/details, if that helps clear up the "where did they get these details" thing :)

Only if the guarantors had their addresses listed in the tenancy agreement, and only if the energy company were sent the tenancy agreement (some ask for this when transferring bills into another name).

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
We didn't need to name any guarantors, that's why i'm confused as to how they've got my parents addresses.

edit - thanks for the further advice

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Ignore. Not your problem, provided you rang them up and gave them last readings...

And if they never had your parents address then the letter is just a speculative one, so DEFINATELY ignore ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom