Advice on reavers...

O

old.mattshanes

Thinking of lving one, what will be best defensive/offensive spec?i mean mixed of both?

Also any advice on how to solo well would be grateful(i.e what chants to use in what order etc)

Post away you reavers out there xD

O

old.Bubble

Hargard has a level 25 Slash Reaver, hes pretty cool.
Final Spec was going to be 39slash 42 shield 50 SR

A

AzuratMinimus

50 flex 42 shield 36+ soulrending. Need shield so you can slam and do lots of evul backstyles solo. SR isn´t close as effective at high lvls as it is in bg.
Tried 50 flex 50 soulrending rest split on shield and parry but it kind of sucks since soulrending don´t give that much damage and without slam it´s damn hard to get in backstyle solo.

O

old.Bubble

most go 50 Flex 39 SR 42 shield
With some parry instead of SR..think like 36 SR but can't remember

O

old.mattshanes

What about killing mobs?what chants should i use most and in what order?

O

old.Bubble

he exped from 1 to 25, just killing Orange undead mobs keeping DD chant on, your have to ask a level 50 for this one :D

(Slam mob, Levi 3 times mob dead)

V

voltage

lo Matts

I love soloing with my reaver, at R6L0 with IP and UTOS I find I'm very tough to kill 1on1 (of course buffbot is essential, hybrid weaponskill is atrocious and unbuffed I rarely land a hit on anyone with good defence like shield/evade)

my spec is less cookie cutter than most, 50flex 45soul 35shield 13parry and this gives me the best of both worlds(tm) as I get the top lifetap buff (which is my favourite part of being a reaver) and top dps shout (15 dps is evul) and an 8 second shield stun from positional side (not so useful in 1on1s but still of some use)

as for tactics, I use my dps debuff aura mostly, as it is higher level than the abs debuff so less resists, also if they are dps debuffed they get lower weaponskill so you block more often (supposedly)

lack of anytime style is a bit of a pain, I use viper (block chain) with diamondback (taunt style) as backup, the taunt is a bit of an end-eater with not that much damage output, but at least its a style - I used to do viper (block chain) with kingsnake (parry chain) backup, but found I'd die with 50% end left and be hitting unstyled, so gave up on that.

If grouped and in an assist train situation I'll do abs debuff solely, so everyone in the train does more damage.

my main gripe with reavers (at the moment) is that we are the most kite-able hybrid in the game. The only hybrid with: no insta snare (valewalker+champion), no castable DD (valewalker and thane), no endurance regen (paladin and friar) and also our instas are on the slowest timer (30 seconds for dot and lifetap)

so we are too easy to run away from for a non det class, especially since as flexible our only effect hindered style is 2nd in chain from positional side and if the lifetap buff proc's on the same swing then it breaks the snare immediately :p

C

cHodAX

Going high SR means you have to sacrifice slam and in group RvR for many that is a big no-no, for solo it works ok but how do you use Levi when you need to stun them to give you time to get in postition to hit the Levi? Personally I am toying with idea of 50 Flex and 50 Shield with the rest in SR, seeing the damage I do with my shield when buffed and having the extra defense it affords is very appealing. The aura chants are nice but with spellcrafting I find that occasionally I can go through half a bar of power before it hits. SR was supposed to define the Reaver class but instead it turned us in a Paladin with chain that hits hard but dies faster.

All that said, I still love my little fishface :) Great fun to play.

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by old.Bubble
You guys all think levi is worth it? :)

If a caster/healer runs they are dead, any other time it can be hard to line up but the benefits are there in the damage. Vestax is experimenting with Slash atm and the results look good, far less postional than flex but you pay the price with damage loss from not having the Flex block chains and Levi. Thrust and Crush just don't seem worthwhile, they are also very postional but lack the killer punch that is Levi.

G

Garaen

My first piece of advice is if you want to create a Reaver for RvR, don't and save yourself the effort. The Reaver is the most under estimated class in this game (imo) i believe its extremely effective in RvR but the lack of RvR groups who will take them in is extremely annoying. There a great solo class for leveling, a great solo class for RvR (if you have a bot all the better) but the lack of Det really really really, erm really hurts us when it comes to groups. (Although personally i don't see this as a problem, with Purge and a minstrel who can play half decent Mez won't be too great a problem). The very fact that not many Reavers are past RR5 and 1mil ish RP's is the highest any Reaver has (Voltage) is testimony of the phobia some people have of Reavers.

For PvE i pulled with DoT, put on engage and once you've blocked use the Viper chain, then just backup Viper with Boomslang (Increase chane to block next round, some use Diamondback but its a taunt and penalty to defence) and try get the chain off again. In PvE groups use Indigosnake (side positonal) but watch out for aggro as you'll do alot of damage 40+ the proc does'nt land that often, i was lucky and got into alot of PBAE groups so i just used taunt.

The only aura i use is the ABS debuff for both PvE and RvR (I use the AE DD aura for uncovering stealthers thats about it) - The ABS debuff adds quite a bit of damage onto attacks (Great for assist trains) and also interupts without breaking mez/root.

Tactics wise you can do either two things. Go for a slam and then 3/4 levi's behind (Will kill almost anything but landing slam is hard, or if the stun is purged) Or you can try land the Viper/Kingsnake(Parry chain)

As for spec's i would'nt go anything except 50Flex, 42shield 36 SR and rest parry. Some reavers swear by this spec (like me) but there are other interesting specs which are quite viable.

Can't think of anything else to say, give me a shout in-game if you want to know anything. This is all imo etc and i'm sure i'll get some whines :) - Also ask Reven (Sentient) in game for some advice as he is'nt as stupid as he looks, hehe :)

cba reading through that again so excuse the spelling mistakes etc.

Q

Qwegji-

Think everything has been said.

50 flex is a must.
42 shield, no only for slam but also you get higher defence and more chance to use block chain. Its also helps when guarding someone in your grp.
36 SR. no point going 39 as you get no new spells.
16 parry :)

RvR.
Solo I normally run around with me lower DD chant running which will last ages. Fighting I put on dps debuff and then no more spells till I slam them(end pots) to save some end as spells can use a lot of end. Once slam has landed, run through them, stick, use abs debuff and damage add, then just levi. If they not dead after that. Its just block combo and taunt(our anytime) as backup. And start throwing all your spells at them ;) Also I have had no problem with kiteing. Just stick an instant dot on them and they cant restealth.

Grouped. Recently Ive been leading the groups and its been working great. Spot an enemy, sprint straight at them and use debuff chants. Will interupt thier casters and wont break mezz if sorc lands mezz. Then just assist the main tank using levi and abs debuff running. If you get near the tanks, give them another dps debuff. Against caster groups is where reavers work great. Twisting the 4 debuff chants to interupt casters is great and not break CC. PBAErs willl try form a box. which means you get to interupt all of there grp or force them to use moc which you can back away from or use Asp(entended range attack) so you can hit them without being in the pbae.

PvE
I lvled in a pbae grp where it was just guard the casters and use Indigo snake. Didnt do much soloing.

Raids can sometimes be where reavers are great. Like in sidi, while everyones hitting Wars weapons for 1 damage, reavers can do 1 + 20 to 200 levi proc damage.

Matts in a good guild. Shouldnt be to hard for him to get a group. Just need more ppl to see how useful reavers are in RvR. Det is very useful, but it takes just 2-3 secs for the sorc or minstrel to demezz you or you to purge and you can just assist with the tanks that got det.

S

Sparda_soul

Originally posted by old.Bubble
most go 50 Flex 39 SR 42 shield
With some parry instead of SR..think like 36 SR but can't remember

36-40 gives nothing bub and + SR is like having + chants so stop at 36 or go for 40+:x
im 50 flex 42 shield 36 SR 16 parry and i love it, a few pasive RAs later and purge and i make a nice addition to any group. Reavers have naturaly high dex to so with 42 shield i find i block more then a pala or arms does.

For leveling if your doing it the normal way keep flex at level and SR about 2 levels below. The lvl 18 flex move indigosnake is way overpowered for its level. If your power leveling Flex, slash and Thrust all auto train.

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by Garaen
Also ask Reven (Sentient) in game for some advice as he is'nt as stupid as he looks, hehe :)

Anyone who knows Sentient knows full well that he is exactly as stupid as he looks :p

H

Huntingtons

Originally posted by Garaen

Also ask Reven (Sentient) in game for some advice as he is'nt as stupid as he looks

o_O...

V

vestax

respeccing to 50 slash, 50 sr 30+11+4+mob3 sheild tonight, will let you know how it is :eek:

I

ilum

If I made a Reaver for RvR I would take Flex to 50 for levi and Soulrending 45+ for get the last debuffs. Minstrel/Paladin can stun as it is.

Reaver's are a bit complicated tho to play, hard enough to pull of the styles, also need to manage auras and use DD/Dot at the right times.

Also they require a real good template to cap all the important stats. I think you need to put a lot into them to get something out :)

Q

Qwegji-

Ilums right. Got 11 styles I use alot, 6 pbae spells, lifetap, dot, damage add and RAs.

Also for SCing you need str/con/dex/qui/pie flex/shield/parry resists and hits. So really need mp armour weapons and high UV jewelry.

Shield spec isnt just for slam though. Instead of just paladin with guard. Now you have a reaver aswell.

I have been thinking of trying 50/50 flex/SR, but atm SR just doesnt scale up very well. The higher you spec, the less you get from it. The difference between the lvl 35 pbae debuffs and the lvl 45/47 ones is very little. 2% for abs debuff and 3% for dps debuff.

O

old.mattshanes

Why spec slash if you got a choice of crush and slash?also superior styles?oO levi hits harder than any weapon spec style...except maybe for defender's rage chain and shadow's rain dw style.But the procc seems good especially with a fast weap.

I probably go 50/42/36/16 i was thinking that anyway, only problem is lving after 250+ days played is boring ;/ especially when friar can't even get exp groups too.

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by old.mattshanes
Why spec slash if you got a choice of crush and slash?also superior styles?oO levi hits harder than any weapon spec style...except maybe for defender's rage chain and shadow's rain dw style.But the procc seems good especially with a fast weap.

I probably go 50/42/36/16 i was thinking that anyway, only problem is lving after 250+ days played is boring ;/ especially when friar can't even get exp groups too.

Tip ;

Buy a 2nd account, make a necro and level to 20. Then use the necro to PL himself and the reaver to 50. Beg borrow and steal cleric buffs, 100 hours later you have 2 more level 50's ;)

G

Gillan

If you autotrain flex to lvl 48 you can get 41 sr with 42 shield/50 flex for the last life drain shout. May be worth thinking about if you do as almost all ppl now days - plving with a necro or two.

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by Gillan
If you autotrain flex to lvl 48 you can get 41 sr with 42 shield/50 flex for the last life drain shout. May be worth thinking about if you do as almost all ppl now days - plving with a necro or two.

Vaild point, autoing is viable for a Reaver without gimping your group.

T

toxx

i was originally auto'd to 44 with 50 flex 42 shield 36 SR 19 parry.

got bored of not rvr, so tried something a little different for the hell of things.

Went 50 flex 50 shield 22 SR 21 parry.

50 shield gives amazing guard (reavers have high base dex anyway) and brutalize for solo'ing / duels that kinda thing.

50 flex - obvious

22 SR - Dropping it this low hasnt been much of a loss... only thing i miss is having a nicer DPS add. the ABS / DPS debuffs have only dropped 4% effectiveness over 36 SR, and the lifetap and DoT are only for interupting in rvr, hitting for 80 with the lifetap isnt gunna make much diff, so only hitting for 30 or so but still interupting is just aswell. The MUUUCH lower power cost of all the spells at 22 SR is very nice, i can keep a chant running all the time, without going OOP.

Anyway, maybe im biased, but i might try Voltages spec soon, just to keep me interested :p

Users who are viewing this thread