ADSL Router

T

throdgrain

Im getting broadband installed on Monday, after BT finally agreed to swap my connection from isdn to adsl for free, instead of charging me £250 for the privilage :/
So I may need a router for 2 pc's, any suggestions as to what to buy or where to get it from ?
Cheers all :)

L

leggy

Do not get the Netgear DG814.

That's the one I bought and it's shit (I'm being fair).

C

Clowneh!

i only have two computers, and i just use internet sharing, two network cards and a crossover wire. whats the advantage of using a router? i think being able to use internet without the other computer is on but im stupid and i dont trust myself :)

S

Scooba Da Bass

ICS is shit, there's your advantage

E

Embattle

Agreed, ICS is shit and a poor man/boys alternative :p

S

]SK[

But it works and will save you £100 for a router. Unless you happen to aquire one free like me.

Spear machine you could always take a look at www.smoothwall.org

T

throdgrain

Heh Im not a poor man or boy really ...
All I want to do is to let my kids play on thier pc upstairs with a nice ping, but without my ping being compromised. Hey , Im a nice dad but im not perfect :) I think a router is the way to go, but I dunno how they work, or what sort of cables I need or owt. Ill check some ofthose links tomorrow thanks .

C

Clowneh!

my internet connection works as well on the second machine as it does on the first, what else do i need?

C

Chameleon

Originally posted by throdgrain
Heh Im not a poor man or boy really ...
All I want to do is to let my kids play on thier pc upstairs with a nice ping, but without my ping being compromised. Hey , Im a nice dad but im not perfect :) I think a router is the way to go, but I dunno how they work, or what sort of cables I need or owt. Ill check some ofthose links tomorrow thanks .

Throd, a standard router setup would be something like this:

Router (get one thats a modem and router, as some call themselves routers, but arent much more than a network hub), plugged into the ADSL socket. Configure the router for NAT mode. Then RJ45 cables from the router ports to the network cards in the pc's (assuming your router has an inbuilt hub), or RJ45 cable from Router to a network hub (lan port) then the network hub ports to the network cards (if the router has no hub). Set the router ip to something like 192.168.1.1, then on pc 1 set the ip to 192.168.1.2 and the gateway and dns server as 192.168.1.1, the second pc set ip to 192.168.1.3 and again the gateway and dns server as 192.168.1.1
Then change the connection settings in IE and OE etc and your away! :)
Although sitting behind a NAT router is a good security measure, I'd also recommend installing software firewalls on each of the pc's ..... something like Kerio Personal Firewall is very good.
Hope that helps a bit.

Btw, what happened last wednesday mate? I left red team so you could jump in, then another red left the server, so I joined back to red expecting you to join red too and even the teams ....... but you left :( Hope to see you there tonight.

Ch@m

T

Trem

Lester got a proper BT router off the guy who fitted his broadband, around about £20 I think.....................I'm not sure it was an entirely legal transaction tbh.

L

leggy

Lester is fucking crook tbh :)

£20 routers?

Router != Stokie ned dishing out data packets

:D

D

Dr_Weasel

I got the cheapo ebuyer job. Its a modem, router and 4 port switch for about 50 quid. This one

Cheap as chips but has been happily working for about 6 weeks now with no troubles.

M

Mellow-

Thanks.

I have never configured a router. How is it done? How do you tell it to use NAT?

E

Embattle

TBH most of it is automatically done on quite a few routers and even if its not they come with easy to follow guides.

T

throdgrain

I love you all !

Or something. Anyway, cheers all :)

C

Chameleon

Originally posted by Mellow-
I have never configured a router. How is it done? How do you tell it to use NAT?

I confess I'm no networking expert, but I do know a little ......

NAT= Network Address Translation

the principle of this is that the router only allows incoming network packets which are in response to outgoing requests you have made. In theory this should prevent anyone getting remote access to your pc, as these incoming packets will not be recognised by the router and so will be rejected.
Most routers afaik are able to run in NAT mode.
As Embattle said, most routers come pretty much configured when you get them. You can normally access some functions by putting the IP address of your router into your client pc's web browser, where it should load up some html pages which allow you to 'fiddle' with some settings, such as configuring port forwarding rules, should you need them.
NAT is good, but a £100 router is unlikely to provide such robust hardware firewall protection, that you should avoid a software firewall entirely. The Kerio firewall, for example, allows you to setup rules which can allow or disallow traffic, specifying traffic type (tcp, udp, etc), incoming/outgoing, end point ip address, end point port, local port and application ........ which allows some very specific rules which allow you to be just about as safe as your going to be ...... without paying a fortune for some real beefy hardware protection.

Ch@m

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by Ch@meleon
I confess I'm no networking expert, but I do know a little ......

NAT= Network Address Translation

the principle of this is that the router only allows incoming network packets which are in response to outgoing requests you have made. In theory this should prevent anyone getting remote access to your pc, as these incoming packets will not be recognised by the router and so will be rejected.
Most routers afaik are able to run in NAT mode.

not quite. NAT means that the thing (poota, router etc) rewrites all packets destined for the "outside" as if they were being sent from the "outside" IP addy and not the internal network. or something.

as to people being able to get in. maybe. heh. depends.

T

Testin da Cable

no, not quite: you have nat's principle slightly wrong. I could argue the point but I'm tired. it depends on the router's configuration what happens really.

S

smurkin

NAT is good, but a £100 router is unlikely to provide such robust hardware firewall protection, that you should avoid a software firewall entirely.

True true true....I have the much maligned Netgear DG814 (which I thought was quite ok, tbh)....it has NAT but no other firewall features...and Zonealarm has detected atacks getting inside the router looking for vulnerabilities. So an additional software firewall is a good choice (which, will probably come free with the router anyway :p) ;)

Users who are viewing this thread