ADSL router/modem that supports x-over cable?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
All,

I currently run two PC's on a network, one serves as the internet gateway that burns day and night connected to the net. I would like to get an ADSL router/modem so that both PC's can connect to the router/modem, access the net independantly and be able to power both machines off/on without disrupting anything.

The problem is that both PC's are connected via a crossover cable straight into the port on the LAN card. I could rip out the wiring between the two, but it's going to be a huge job as it's about ~20m of wiring that goes into the wall, into the ceiling/loft and into the other room with the PC connected to the net. It'd be much simpler to buy a modem/router that supported a crossover cable (i know some hubs/switches do).

Any suggestions?

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Any of the new 2600/2900 draytek routers will be fine.

Ardrias

Fledgling Freddie
Just cut the ends and put on new connectors, making the cable straight?

old.user4556

Not cheap kit though is it mate, was looking to spend ~£60, the Draytek stuff I can find on the web seems to start at upwards of £100.

Clown

Part of the furniture
The Netgear DG834G does. I guess the non-wireless one does too?

old.user4556

After a lot of digging, I found a pdf version of the DG834 reference manual which reveals that it auto-senses if it's a crossover cable or not and makes the right connection.

DG834 it is.

Ta guys :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom