ADSL Problems, will a hub help??

O

old.Nick_Currie

Hello everyone, I have had adsl from Iomart for a few months now and I am becoming incredibly frustated with it. I suffer from packetloss and very bad ping spiking every minute or less when the action is heavy making it jump as high as 500. I have run ping plots and this spiking occurs even on my first hop!! Argh! I was wondering if it was perhaps a power issue, ie when the adsl needs to send more info its jerking a bit..? Has anyone out there had a similar problem and cure it? I think I will try out an externally powered usb hub and see if that does the trick.. Or perhaps even a USB card.... Ill try anything!

O

old.RookieWan

I think I've heard of something similiar... what type of Mobo do you have? It seems some Athlon mobo's have too little power for the USB ports and this seems to cause all kinds of weird problems...

O

old.Nick_Currie

Yes, im using the infamous asus a7V. 300watt power supply though.

E

Embattle

Erm so you have the USB version. I doubt it has to do with power to the USB sockets since a 300watt supply is more than enough to power them and the small amount of data being pushed out even at max, data out is only 256k. I also doubt sticking a hub in would help...I reckon it could make it worse.

I'm not sure if pacths from ww.speedguide.net will help with the USB version but its worth giving it ago. If they don't then you need to talk to Iomart and get them to sort it.

W

Wij

The power problem with Alcatel USB Modems usually causes your motherboard to shut down all USB because the modem has tried to draw more power than USB is allowed. As such it shouldn't really matter what your PSU is. It's just the mobo thinking 'that's more than normal'. When this happened to me (on an Intel system btw) it just shut my mouse and modem down completely rather than causing any problems with it so I doubt yours is a similar issue. It's more likely to be a software problem or something at your ISP.

Incidentally, I now have a powered USB hub and I upgraded to 98 SE from 98 standard and have not had the problem since. Not sure which fixed it.

O

old.r1cko

I think you'll find IoMart is just a crap ISP.

No way in hell the A7V is the problem , I had one and the pings were fine, although it did just cut power to the USB modem on occassions (not the subject at hand anyway)

I suggest you gather traceroutes and then submit a complaint to the ISP. I guarantee you that it's most likely the network at fault rather than the hardware.

gL in that too. Some isp's are crap with dealing with issue's.

O

old.urbantus

I have the asus a7v and speedtouch usb from madasafish-iomart
My sys was working fine untill about two weeks ago
I had to reformat
After this it took ages to get adsl running sweet again
the speed touch would turn off all the time
Im now using a belkin powered hub
I also used all the help I could get at www.usbman.com
I sorted my problem in this way
My ping on wireplay q3 is about 32
I still get the odd yellow triangles on lagometer