Act Of War

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
Looks pretty good ... not played a good RTS in a while, downloading the demo now just hope its worth it.

Still wish they would just redo TA ... best RTS ever but its graphics really do suck now :(

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Ukle said:
Looks pretty good ... not played a good RTS in a while, downloading the demo now just hope its worth it.

At 650Mb, you'd think it would be.

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
Well it was worth it :)

Nice game ... the demo focuses a lot on air strikes, whether the real game has the same lean has to be seen but it is a good demo and will look forward to the game in March.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Ukle said:
Still wish they would just redo TA ... best RTS ever but its graphics really do suck now :(

Most underrated game ever. It should have been so much more popular than it was. Oh, and tbh I think the graphics still look ok - they've stood the test of time remarkably well.

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
nath said:
Most underrated game ever. It should have been so much more popular than it was. Oh, and tbh I think the graphics still look ok - they've stood the test of time remarkably well.
Underrated? Most people I know know of and love the game, and I seem to remember it got a lot of good press. If anything caused it to withdraw into obscurity it'd have to be the shitness of TA: Kingdoms and the subsequent demise of Cavedog, surely.

I just wish it wasn't so damned buggy multiplayer. Every time I've tried to play it, assuming we actually manage to all get into the game, someone almost always ends up with units unable to attack an enemy other than by force-attacking.

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
Bear in mind it was released around the same time as Starcraft which had Battle.net backing it up and is still insanely popular even now.

Doubt that did it a huge favour in all honesty, plus the buggy multiplayer Louster mentioned won't have played well against the competition (ie, ^).

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Louster said:
Underrated? Most people I know know of and love the game, and I seem to remember it got a lot of good press. If anything caused it to withdraw into obscurity it'd have to be the shitness of TA: Kingdoms and the subsequent demise of Cavedog, surely.

That's the thing, everyone who played it knew it was great - all the press loved it and gave it great reviews. However, it didn't sell very well. I guess underrated is the wrong choice of word - undersold, underknown etc. Basically, it should have done better than what it dun did innit.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
This "Act of War" looks like an offshoot of C&C: Generals (Which rock(s/ed).

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
nath said:
I guess underrated is the wrong choice of word - undersold, underknown etc. Basically, it should have done better than what it dun did innit.
FuzzyLogic said:
Bear in mind it was released around the same time as Starcraft which had Battle.net backing it up and is still insanely popular even now.

Anyone remember Boneyards? As nice as Starcraft's game dynamic is, and how powerful the script editor can be, it really hasn't aged anywhere near as well as TA has, at least graphically. The fact that it's stuck in 640 480 is ludicrous, where TA supports 1600 1200 (though admittedly not especially well - the GUI gets pretty hard to use at this resolution.) In any case, Boneyards would have been awesome had Cavedog survived, and easily preferable to Battle.net. Oh well.

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
Act of War is a fun game but ruined by rubbish AI. If my men are under attack, people standing right next to them do not help.
Also if you are standing next to the enemy they are not auto captured but you have to manually capture each soldier... :(

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
The voiceover/briefing guy sounds like Major John Sheperd from Stargate: Atlantis.
It really wound me up and I had to uninstall after 3 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom