Account Splitting

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Sorry for all the n00bish questions today - when does account splitting go live on EU servers? Will it even be available on EU servers?

Oro

Fledgling Freddie
Think only a GOA rep could answer that one, if they've even decided on it. Dont' recall seeing anything anywhere.

Personally I'd prefer a proper 3rd English server and the ability to transfer accounts there ;)

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Yes we are planning on offering it.
It will be Soon*
There was news which is now quite elderly and perhaps no longer deserving of the title 'News', however 'Olds' is possibly confusing so I shan't fret about it for now.
It's very unlikely (read "not going to happen") that there will ever be the facility to transfer characters between different live servers.

*Soon means as quickly as possible given the fact that we have to develop our own tool to do it (as Mythics billing system is different to ours) and for the moment we'd rather get patches/New Frontiers translated and tested.

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah I remembered seeing something on the Camelot Europe website about it, but couldn't search for it - maybe some kind of search function on the webbie would be useful?

Aadia

Fledgling Freddie
Uhm... just out of curiosity cuz i never got this one tbh....
all the patches go live first on the US-servers (ofcours a bit buggy but they solve that in the end). I don't recall the US speaking any other language then english?

And you have to "translate" the patches again for the english european servers?

Ofcours you got a point if you say that the billing system is different from goa then from mythic but uhm....
:eek6:

Addlcove

Fledgling Freddie
armor into armour and so on :)

the translation are mainly for the french/german, and no we can't get the patch before the french/german because

1. it would require two different patch-servers one with the english patch and one with the french/german

and

2. the english servers would be so clustered with frenchies and germs that camlann would be sensible in comparison.

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
If they translate US English into UK English how come /who armourcrafter comes up with no matches? ;)

Cyfr

Banned
They sit with the code for months while you wait for them to translate to german/french. :)

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Naetha said:
If they translate US English into UK English how come /who armourcrafter comes up with no matches? ;)

I don't know, but based on experience with US coders, I suspect it goes like this.

Original coded with stuff like : (very non techy code)

print "Armourcrafter".

Then GoA get it, and it needs to be :

print translation of "Armourcrafter", looked up in translation tables, based on current local language (English, French or German).

If the original used translation tables for it's language use, you'd only have to populate the fields, and there wouldn't be so many coding issues with translation, I suspect.

Darzil

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
I don't think the english version gets translated - however the billing system is entirely different, and it'd involve changes to that to do account splitting (plus the moving of characters around accounts on the server side I imagine?)

mirieth!

Banned
there's a charge of $40/character or so in the U.S. iirc so i'd expect it to scale the same to here - about 30 euro i believe? maybe 25..

Ashash Saleem

Fledgling Freddie
Addlcove said:
armor into armour and so on :)

the translation are mainly for the french/german, and no we can't get the patch before the french/german because

1. it would require two different patch-servers one with the english patch and one with the french/german

and

2. the english servers would be so clustered with frenchies and germs that camlann would be sensible in comparison.

also afik GOA uses diferent network structure and maybe even the server clusters are set up diferently, therefore they would have to go through the whole code and redirect things so that the clusters work together coherently, things like when u cross a zone-line u expect to go to a certain zone which is on a seperate cluster, they need to tell the code which cluster to send you to etc .. only a guess might be totally wrong hehe

Hakansson

Fledgling Freddie
They don't translate it to english , they translate it to work international with other letters like åäö =P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom