abuse of crafters

V

venerable

My tailor received an order for a full 99% af 51 cloth suit. The customer insisted on a pointy hat, so I take on the order knowing I would have to travel from Caer Diogel to Cotswolds to get the patterns needed.

I make the return trip and finish the suit. I pm the customer who then decides that he only needs 4 pieces. I reluctantly agree to this change of details. However, the customer makes no effort to come and collect the pieces.

Exasperated later on, I ask the customer about maybe getting a guild mate to pick it up for him. At this point the customer says that he does not require the pieces any longer.

Imo this is shitty behaviour and wasted a lot of my time, especially going to the trouble of addressing the cosmetic issue of a pointy hat. To add insult to injury, the customer said it was all ok because he claimed I said I would give armour free to a friend. Utter bullshit. On average it costs 600g to make this suit and I'm sorry I'm not a registered charity in Albion.

The customer has been banned from using my LGM tailor, GM alchemist and soon to be LGM SC. Furthermore, I'll be taking cash up front from now on. Sorry to have to do this, but I won't get ripped like this again.

This episode has changed my outlook on providing services for fellow realm mates. If fellow crafters wish to know the culprit's name to avoid similar episodes, pm me in game.

No wonder we lose crafters when idiots act like that towards them.

Venerable

T

tris-

i know what your saying, it is a game and people shouldnt be such twats to each other, even if they are in real life.

C

Cybwyn

Sucks :(

Shite that you have to do it, but get money up front.

Oh, and name and shame too so other crafters know who not to deal with. ;)

O

old.linnet

Yup, I wouldn't worry about asking for cash up front. I've never dealt with anyone who had any problems with that - people can understand that you have to find the money for the materials from somewhere.

Also, you can tell people who want pointy hats/ crowns that they have to go and bring you the patterns ;)

V

venerable

Originally posted by old.linnet
Yup, I wouldn't worry about asking for cash up front. I've never dealt with anyone who had any problems with that - people can understand that you have to find the money for the materials from somewhere.

Also, you can tell people who want pointy hats/ crowns that they have to go and bring you the patterns ;)

Yes I'm insisting on people bringing me patterns from now on :(

O

old.mattshanes

That's why i do not craft anymore really,made a mp set once and the guy wouldn't pay 4p when it even cost 3.8p to do and a few days,about 20 hours total probably...it's hard to even sell things at their actual going rate now.

I have self funded my tailoring so can charge what i want,heh i do not charge expensive anyway but i have had things like that too.Made a 99 set then person said he doesn't want it so i had to sell it to someone else cheaper:(

I noticed though it's always the people who do not do jack shit,can't even probably get to 100 in a crafting skill themselves without saying "i can't be bothered with this".

S

Sharma

I make pretty damn sure if i have an order with someone i pay them when they do it, i will always pay the amount of cash they request if not i work up a debt, so far i have not missed anything although i think i still owe Draugs 300g ;)

N

-Nxs-

Crafters are doing other players a favour and players should respect that.

I will ALWAYS pay in advance if asked by a crafter - and even travel to them, or pick up the components on the way. Its the least you can do - bearing in mind drops are as low as 70% qual and merchants 85%

The thing that really annoyed me was someone asking me to SC their new armour and said "just put something good on it". Those who cant be assed to spare 10 minutes to design a template for a L10 toon don't deserve my services :)

V

venerable

FFS the person in question heard that I complained in broadchat in Diogel (not naming names ofc) and has expressed sufficient remorse to buy the suit anyway...however, when I said I was next to pad at CS she ported to Emain...FFS!

If she pisses me about any more I'll name and shame then I advise all crafters to avoid her like the plague...

F

Flesh

OMG I bet that bitch was Najwa!
She's a right slapper :<

V

venerable

Right the person in question has finally traded for the whole suit as agreed.

Said person keeps asking me why I'm so angry at her :(

C

chretien

Sad to hear that sort of thing goes on Venerable. I've been lucky and only got burnt a couple of times and not for anything too expensive. Nowadays I always ask for most if not all of the cash upfront unless it's a low level order or I know for damn sure the customer is good for it - mind you I tend to have to ask for cash upfront as I don't keep a big enough float to front materials for expensive orders anyhow.
My girlfriend Ederillan does the same thing with alchemy - cash in advance unless it's something poxy like a level 10 poison or a 6 gold enamel.
The main problem I have is that people balk at paying any kind of reasonable price for crafted stuff - especially masterpieces. I was asked for a masterpiece suit a while ago and the guy threw a fit when I said I'd be charging him more than materials cost. He honestly couldn't see why I wouldn't want to spend a week in front of the forge for nothing.

S

Sharma

Had no problem paying 1.4plat for my MP hand axe :)

S

stroopwafel

having to pay in advance always triggers a big "hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm" at me, wouldn't be the first time someone got scammed :\

maybe it gets better with housing etc, so people don't have to bother with this kinda crap again

C

Cybwyn

Originally posted by stroopwafel
having to pay in advance always triggers a big "hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm" at me, wouldn't be the first time someone got scammed :\

Yeah, but how many crafters are going to spend the huge amounts of time and money (up to 25+ platinum for some trades) getting to LGM status in order to scam someone for a few plat and have their reputation ruined?

A

andyr00barb

I've usually offered to put up some funds in advance when doing a big order. At the end of the day you don't hear any stories here about people being burnt by crafters (who have a reputation to maintain).

C

chretien

Absolutely Andyroobarb. If I scammed someone for a plat or two I'd be blacklisted by his guild, his friends and his alliance for starters. if I did it more than once I'm pretty sure that word would get around and I'd only ever get orders for low level stuff from noobs who'd never heard of me - not particularly profitable. Crafters ripping off customers is like killing the goose that lays golden eggs IMO.

G

greatred

Sad stories all... I've heard recently of a certain crafter (who shall remain nameless) ripped a guildmate of mine off for 600g. My advice to both my guildmates and anyone else is to use guild crafters (or big name trusted crafters) only, at least for the big orders.

Oh and yes... Respect your crafters. They've spent time and money making your order - don't assume that they're doing it for their own enjoyment.

O

old.Morchaoron

who shall remain nameless?? i think all of these people deserve to be warned against such a twat...

B

bonna

venerable, i know how u feel.
b4 i quit weapon craft (lgm) i got many many orders. and after making the weapon some peeps wanted . they turn round and say . sorry dont need it now i asked another guy to do it . sorry i didnt tell u ( didnt care about what it cost me )
i left it at that and tryed to sell the weap later ( normaly to a merchant)
if i ask any1 to do i stay with them . if i find some 1 to do it quicker . if the first guy has not started i wud ask him not to start at all. but if he had . then ill go with that . it allt ime and money. but most dont understand that at all.

S

stroopwafel

Originally posted by Cybwyn
Yeah, but how many crafters are going to spend the huge amounts of time and money (up to 25+ platinum for some trades) getting to LGM status in order to scam someone for a few plat and have their reputation ruined?

traded ones

probably enough around

C

calif

Had the same thing before myself, so now i only craft for my guild or ppl i know well and trust.

Also doing MP orders are a pain, the cost can get well out of hand.

Users who are viewing this thread