About the BWCPMRAL settings

O

old.sansai

Hmm, do both leagues have to share the same forum ? I sense flamewars :)

Anyways :
After beginning to run the RA3FrL with cQ3 (CPMA pm0), here's a little help about BWCPMRAL rules :
Basically the rule which sets timelimit in TDM, roundlimit in CA, fraglimits in a FFA, is called, 'limit' :)
When you \callvote limit 20 in TDM it sets 20 minutes as the timelimit, and when you \callvote limit 11 in CA the first team to reach 11 rounds wins the map.
I suppose (but I may be wrong) that your roundlimit 15 means a team which has 8 rounds wins the map, but setting limit 15 would set the map to be won by the first team to have 15 rounds (long innit :) !
Just so you know that to have a winner at the best of 15 rounds, you must set limit to 8 :)

You should also set (as CPMA authorize it) maxpackets_max, maxpackets_min, timenudge_max, timenudge_min, etc, as I believe there are a lot of isdn'ers like me (tbh I connect on 128k dual channel for matches, meaning ping 50 and maxpackets 100 does not affect me, but I don't think everybody can connect on dual channel, and you know how mp100 can flood a 64k isdn'er)
I suggest maxpackets_max 60, maxpackets_min 30, and no particular limit or timenudge as it only affects people on the client side (although timenudge 0 is strongly recommended with CPMA for a question of sensations, but some use timenudge and do not suffer from it).

Another thing that CPMA offers when you're in referee mode, is \r_ip, which gives the ips from all players, useful to detect ringers.

Ammos quantity : in cQ3 CA ammos are set to a different amount than in crt's RA3. For example, at the start of the rounds, you spawn with 80 rockets in your RL, but only 15 slugs in you RG. This can only be changed (afaik) in the server's .cfg's. I think we'd rather want to keep the old 50 rockets/50 rails/etc from RA3 (unless people really want to change ? Guess not, 15 rails is quickly gone on certain popular maps like map1 :).

Promode Sounds : We have discovered in the RA3FrL (along with polish CPMA pm 1 TDM players) that 2 CPMA servers on a PIII 1 GHz with 256 Megs can put that serv on his knees. The explanation given by arQon is the promode sounds (ie hit tones that tell how many damages you've made to an enemy when you hit him). Here's the forum thread where he talked about it :
http://www.challenge-network.com/ikon-bin/topic.cgi?forum=2&topic=866
To shorten it, the problem is that vQ3's sound code is not that good.
Atm, the only known solution is to remove promode sounds (ie have back the same sounds as in RA3) until he can hack the bad ID code, test it and release a better Promode Sound code (which will certainly take a few weeks at least).
I think it won't be too harsh as most of us (if not all of us) can still remember how to play with those sounds :)
So better set target_speakers to 0 (erm, I guess it's 0, didn't tried it out yet, RA3FrL will ony be 0.99w1 at the end of the week).

One useful adress to finish with : http://www.rocketarena.org/cpma/server/ will generate a proper server cfg.

If you need the custom cfg for each map (which set armor/health, ammos, etc), contact me sansai@barrysworld.com or on IRC irc.quakenet.org #bunkland
If anyone feels I forgot something I'd be glad to read your replies :)

S

Sar

Nice links there Sans :)

Ta for the info, it'll come in handy for the admins and server monkees I'm sure :)

Maxpackets will be max 100, not 60. Other Barrys leagues cope with 100 maxpax with no adverse side effects (I honestly think people moaning about 100 maxpax lagging them just have crap conns - it never affected me when I was modem or ISDN, and doesn't effect the modemers or ISDNers in my clans either), and so the maxpackets cap will be as per usual Barrys leagues.

Getting low rail ammo on maps like map1/map4 might get camping over and done with fairly quick and encourage clans to actually fight each other, not snipe from opposite ends of the map like it's CS or summat :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom