A wierd question concerning DAOC and it's COC and EULA

Kittyfantastico

Fledgling Freddie
Hi :)
I know it's a given that you can't charge people RL money for plats/items/artifacts and you can't buy them either. Well I have another question that may help me out of a bit of a quandry. I am a fantasy artist by trade, and since starting DAOC as soon as anyone looks at work/guildsites I've done/RPG Portraits they are soon asking for commisions.

Now most of the time I charge RL money and thats all well and good, but what if some of your close guild mates ask?, I always find it bloody akward to say Okay, yip one RPG Character portriat coming up. BTW it's this much money.

Would it be permissable to offer them a trade of say one picture, for say plat or a few crafting jobs. This means that I can reimbursed in a currency that is useful. But then again I don't make them faint when they realise how much my portraits actually cost in RL money. :(.

I know it's a complete bugger of a question, I know my husband would just rather I charge my going commission rate down the line, but sometimes I just don't have the heart to dissappoint someone.
And lets face it once I start doing it for free, I am going be taking such commissions till kingdom come.

Kitty

Litmus

Resident Freddy
well, not sure wether or not its against any CoC

But theres no way GoA can moniter if your tradeing RL pictures for ingame favours etc.

Kittyfantastico

Fledgling Freddie
Yes that maybe so, but I wnat to know exactley where I stand with this as this offer is going to come up at somepoint. I'd like to be able to say yay or nay and give them a reason why not :).
It will make my life so much easier if I have the correct answer and info straight off.

Kitty

Tilda

Do you have a site with some of your previous work?

Kittyfantastico

Fledgling Freddie
Hey there Tilda I have sent you a private message :), I'm sure when you read it you'll undersatnd why LOL

Kitty

BTW Happy Birthday Tilda :)
Just a side note, I don't work for plat/or crafting unless it's someone I know very very very well, this is to get me out of having to charge someone I like £25 an hour for a portrait, when they possibly didn't want to pay for it in the first place.
Ye Gads I don't want to get known as the Fantasy Artist who works for trades. This question is so that when this inevitable question comes up if it's a negative answer I can refer to the relevant rules/COC :)

Kitty

Alithiel

Fledgling Freddie
Tilda said:
Indeed, please post a link!

Having spent many hours in the past trying to find decent fantasy art pictures of red-haired dual-weilding female fighters to use as avatars etc with very little success, I may be interested in giving you a commission! ;)

Chilly

Balls of steel
I see no way that it would be against the contract you agreed to, the only point GOA/mythic might pick you up on is copyright infringement, although I highly doubt that. As long as you dont start offering daoc plats as a way of buying your services to the general public I doubt itd be a problem - assuming you keep the business between you and close friends even if it were naughty, they would never know :)

Trust me, GOA are blind ol farts anyway, I got away with selling loads of crap on ebay to various people - sold 80plat once, surprised GOA didnt notice I gave 80p to someone I'd never met before much less spoken to for no in-game item or service ;)

Elvo^Rylu

Fledgling Freddie
Tilda said:

What he said :]

Oh, and i would imagine it to be against the CoC, as you say, your work is worth IRL money and thus you are trading IRL money for ingame items.

But i'm not 100% sure. You coul try to send in a RIghtNow, or a GM will probably troll past these boards soon.

Kittyfantastico

Fledgling Freddie
Hey there :)
My buisness site that will be opening on 17th of May is http://www.scarletshadows.com and anyones welcome to come and visit and have a look around.
I'll just wait till someone has an answer, I really don't want to break any rules, but this way of payment is going to get offered at some juncture, I can just see it happening LOL

Kitty

Kittyfantastico

Fledgling Freddie
Yes I did :), and you're so 100% worth it.
Note to people out there, I did Heresy for free, because I love them, there my RL friends :).

Kitty

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
elisera said:
Try www.heresy.org.uk Warky :p U silly fat twoll

P.S. So its you who has been using the wrong link for so long ;)

the enter link on the splash screen links to the old url ;) (though the "home" link on the main page takes you back to heresy.org.uk)

Cool stuff kitty :) looking forward to your site launching.

Tareregion

Fledgling Freddie
Don't think there is anything wrong with trading your drawings for ingame cash. I'm not a lawyer though, mind you! The way I see it:

#1 Trading ingame items for DAoC currency
This is just your every day trading. You sell an artifact and get platinum coins in return for it.

#2 Trading ingame items for real life currency
This is something like what happens on E-Bay and is illegal, because GoA/Mythic hold the final rights over the ingame item, so you're basically selling something that isn't yours.

#3 Trading real life items for DAoC currency
In this case you're selling something that you made and you hold the rights to, so you also get to decide in which currency you want to be paid. If you decide to accept DAoC currency, you'll have to realise that that kind of money can dissapear at any given moment (GoA stops the game) and holds no real life value (Because then you'd be back at point #2.

If you make a drawing that is obviously DAoC related, like say a lurikeen in front of Tir Na nOg, you can't sell it for real life cash either. Even though it's your hand that made the drawing, the art on it is made by Mythic/GoA and is probably covered by their copyrights.

Bottomline is though, as Chilly said, as long as you don't put up a website called "buy DAoC-art T-shirts" and spam it on every DAoC forum, write it to rightnow and /yell it in Druim Ligen etc. every 15 seconds, GoA/Mythic will probably never find out.

Elvo^Rylu

Fledgling Freddie
7. Selling of Items

You may not sell or auction any Game characters, items, coin or copyrighted material.

The selling of items, coins or any copyrighted part of the Game's player character whether through online auctions, newsgroup or postings on message board is in violation of this EULA. In addition to violating our agreement, selling items and/or coin violates our legal rights and may cause damage to the Publisher and to the goodwill in the Dark Age of Camelot name.

That's taken directly from the EULA.

Kittyfantastico

Fledgling Freddie
They wouldn't be strictly DAOC characters though, as I don't use any of the armour, cities, items that belong in the game.
All backgrounds are taken dirctly from still photographs of Iceland, England and Ireland.
And as far as I'm aware DAOC mythic does not hole the copyright on humans/elves/trolls/vampires :).

Again I wouldn't be selling anything they would be just donating plat or armour instead of paying me the £25.00 pounds and hour that I usually charge :).

I think as it's already been asked several times already, that I am going to make an appointment with a lawer/solicitor and have some contract/terms hammered out so I don't inadvertently break any laws :)

Kitty

Tareregion

Fledgling Freddie
Kittyfantastico said:
And as far as I'm aware DAOC mythic does not hole the copyright on humans/elves/trolls/vampires :).
Kitty

Ofc not :) But if you make an elf dressed in the eldritch epic armor, they do hold the copyright to that :)

Anyway, don't bother wasting money on a lawyer really. Selling paintings for ingame cash is, I think, ok, even if it's a DAoC painting :)

Kittyfantastico

Fledgling Freddie
Lol funnily enough people want there own special armour, it's wierd...
It always amazes me what some people see there charcaters like, it's a complete eye opener :).

Thanks again all of you for all your help :)

Kitty

Zenith

Part of the furniture
Your paintings are completely stunning, some real good stuff you have there Kitty.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom