A thought on balancing groups...

B

bracken_woodman

If you're in a group with spare healing, cc or speed and you see a group looking for one of those skills why not have a little thought for your realm mates and swap the player over? Seen on several occasions groups running with 2 minstrels (for example) and other groups asking for speed but nothing said - in fact Im sure I see the other group looking at the floor and shuffling their feet hoping that no one notices they have a little extra capacity ;)
I know having an extra bit of cc or healing is always a-good-thing, but sometimes (particularly when in a zerg war) it would be good to see more cooperation between groups. Obviously if you're all on a guild outing travelling as 1 or 2 fg then you'll want to stick together, or if you are specifically travelling into areas for 1fg fights and you've got your group well balanced then you won't wish to change that. Im talking more about situations where we're facing larger numbers of enemy. I remember one classic occasion when 3fg were moving through Odins as part of a keep taking force, and one group was looking for speed while another group had 2 minstrels. The one group asked if they could swap in a minstrel and were told to "just sprint". Its really just about using common sense and having a thought for your realm mates. ;)

O

old.LandShark

Hmm, in my experience (which, when not solo, is in FC/BF/HB/Strife zergettes) that tends to happen anyway... Someone asks in CG "anyone got two minstrels" and it gets sorted fairly fast, usually...
*shrug*
/agree on principle :p

T

Tigerius

His name isn't Minstrel, it's Landshark.
My name isn't Cleric.

Kthxbye?

Sorry I shouldn't be offensive in a intended to be constructive post, but people who think a Minstrel is your personal speedbot etc really need to rethink that. I group almost exclusively within guild because I prefer to play with friends that I enjoy it with, with people who know the game, and so forth. Don't expect people to accept being reassigned somewhere else out of "charity".

O

old.LandShark

Well, ideally if you have, say, 2fg running together composed entirely of people from the same large guild/small alliance, then there shouldn't BE any 'gimp group' and so it's no sinecure to change group to better balance out the abilities.
On the other hand, that's only ideally. :p

K

kirennia

Originally posted by Tigerius
His name isn't Minstrel, it's Landshark.
My name isn't Cleric.

Kthxbye?

Sorry I shouldn't be offensive in a intended to be constructive post, but people who think a Minstrel is your personal speedbot etc really need to rethink that. I group almost exclusively within guild because I prefer to play with friends that I enjoy it with, with people who know the game, and so forth. Don't expect people to accept being reassigned somewhere else out of "charity".

Bracken was talking about minstrels. Come on what do you expect him to do? List every single minstrel in the realm instead of calling them minstrels? Same with the cleric bit. I really don't get the point where bracken should have called a minstrel by name because it was a general point. When some1 yells 'Group looking for healer' do you shout back 'my name isn't healer, It's tigerius' even when its a general comment?

For the rest of your comment, you said you play in guild groups. Bracken in his post said if it's a guild group, of course you stay together. It was for people who make random groups, basically groups that stand at atk and invite random people, then move in larger force to counter larger enemies. Then they could mix and match to make good groups except random ones that will die quicker. You say you only play with friends? This isn't the type of grouping he was talking about.

About the comment saying a minstrel isn't your personal speedbot, well he never said it was. But it's a lot more useful to people if every group had a minstrel. Just as it's useful for every group to have a healer etc. It doesn't mean people don't appreciate their work.

If you in future are in a group of 4 casters and 4 tanks and there is another group with 3 clerics and 3 minstrels (wild example), of course they should swap people, it's plain common sence, otherwise, BOTH groups may as well be dead.

Re-read his post, then read what you wrote and realise to generalise 'minstrels' is purely to cut down on time. You say 'his name isn't minstrel, it's landshark', so what was bracken supposed to do? Really how could have he mentioned minstrels better in your eyes?

Kir

T

Tigerius

You misunderstand me. What I'm refering to is the generalisation of people into their classes. You did it too. "If a group of 4 Casters..". People in this game are personal players and like to be thought of that way, just because a group doesn't have the right classes does that mean they are obliged to reform? A group that works works.

K

kirennia

So now when i say for example mention, nerf enchanters, i cant say that? i have to list every single chanter by name?

D

Draylor

Na you can say that Kirennia - as often and as loudly as you want.

Just dont expect to see anyone from this realm object ;)

M

mac_kraakebolle

<sigh>
I wish they wanted 2 minstrels in ExP groups ;/

B

bracken_woodman

You misunderstand me. What I'm refering to is the generalisation of people into their classes. You did it too. "If a group of 4 Casters..". People in this game are personal players and like to be thought of that way, just because a group doesn't have the right classes does that mean they are obliged to reform? A group that works works.

Tigerius I dont think you get my post. My post specifically said that if you're grouped with guildies (or for that matter specific friends) or have a group set up for roaming as 1 or 2fg, then it doesn't apply. Im talking about the random groups of albs thrown together in haste who, when faced with larger numbers of enemies sometimes seem not to cooperate in maximising the effectiveness of the whole - they seem (sometimes) only to be concerned with their own little group. Which is kind of silly if you're facing large numbers of enemy who need to be beaten. I'm surprised you can't see the difference. Actually I'm sure you can. Or maybe you think its good for individual groups to not think of the bigger battle? Its abit like seeing individual groups throw themselves at large numbers of enemies and not cooperate with other groups - all because they think they'll get more rps. You get the same outcome. Dead albs ;)

Edit: Really don't think there's anything new or controvertial in what I said - more a reminder for us to apply common sense and cooperate with each other, particularly given how rvr recently has been all about large scale battles. :)

T

Tigerius

Lets put it at this, ask a player, ask his group... if both are ok with it then all is cool, common sense indeed, don't see why that needs any sort of realm wide explanation. Don't expect anything of anyone though, like groups to automatically give up a 2nd of some class because you want it. I'm sorry if I misunderstood you in that, but honestly I don't see for what other reason you'd feel the need to post here.

K

K0nah

should use the pve lfg system too, i know ive never used it re: rvr grps, doubt anyone else has either, but it could and should be used, would make building a balanced random grp soooo much easier...

B

bracken_woodman

I don't see for what other reason you'd feel the need to post here.

Was just a little nudge in the direction of more cooperation having seen it (sometimes) not happening. At times getting balanced alb groups can be a pain, and so was just a word that as a realm we could help eachother out a little more in this respect. Ive seen lots of groups help eachother out, but also seen a fair few not do so - like I said nothing new in what I said, just a straight forward post is all (seeing as thats what the board is here for) :p

T

Trinilim

Never gonna happen mate, people are too selfish really :|

L

leorin

Learn u r class

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom