Books A Song of Ice and Fire: A Dance with Dragons - 2 years later and finally out

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
So it's out today. My order with amazon is so old I'm on my 2nd new card and so they didn't post it out.

The good news is, it's on kindle, so I'll have it in about 30 seconds.

Let's hope the money from the Tv series motivates Martin to write faster in future.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Desperately reading what I can now at work before the clock hits 9am :<

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Paid for the hardback since i have the rest of the series physically and I'll probably end up lending it out to people. But I want to read it now :(

Ceixah

Can't get enough of FH
went on a mad spree to read all the other books before this came out :(

Failed though with rl commitments + daoc and other stuffs! got about 30% through A Storm of Swords!

god damnit! apparently this one was leaked like 2 weeks ago though heh so quite a few know what happens etc :|

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Can't wait to get stuck into this!

taB

Part of the furniture
MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!!

amazon said:
Dispatching Soon
Dispatch Estimate: 13 July 2011

Delivery Estimate: 16 July 2011 - 19 July 2011

Stayed up until 2am finishing Crippled God last night so I was ready to go!

taB

Part of the furniture
See, moaning does work:

12 July 2011 10:23
subjectYour Amazon.co.uk order has dispatched

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
What i find funneh is that Amazon.co.uk, ships faster and cheaper than Science Fiction Bokhandeln bought some books on amazon on june 24th, since they lacked one omnibus, i bougth that one from sfbok, same day, amazons delivery i got wensday after, the sfbok one i got the friday. And the books in UK/US is 40-80% cheaper, and amazon.co.uk ships for free in EU if you order for more that £25. :D

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!!

Stayed up until 2am finishing Crippled God last night so I was ready to go!

I am on the crippled god at the moment and found it to be very hard to get in to after not having read dust of dreams in a while.

I'll bet getting "Dance" after I've re-read fest for crows first though, I don't want to be confused again :(

taB

Part of the furniture
I am on the crippled god at the moment and found it to be very hard to get in to after not having read dust of dreams in a while.

I'll bet getting "Dance" after I've re-read fest for crows first though, I don't want to be confused again :(

Erikson is a singularly unhelpful writer :) . He throws dozens (hundreds?) of characters at you with little to no explanation of what's going on. I think it works amazingly well when you are caning through a book and have shut yourself away from distrations but if you pick it up and put it down a lot it's hard work. Loved the story though!

Today is going to be spent reading the wikis of the previous SoIaF books as I just don't have time to go through them again.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
i'm on the third book still. just got out the shower after having sang a great rendition of the The Bear and the Maiden Fair. Tune!

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Erikson is a singularly unhelpful writer :) . He throws dozens (hundreds?) of characters at you with little to no explanation of what's going on. I think it works amazingly well when you are caning through a book and have shut yourself away from distrations but if you pick it up and put it down a lot it's hard work. Loved the story though!

Today is going to be spent reading the wikis of the previous SoIaF books as I just don't have time to go through them again.

Yes indeed, I've read all the other books after all. But they were pretty much self-contained in the sense that they didn't directly continue off the previous book in the series. Although there are plenty of references.

But the transition Dust of Dreams->Crippled God with like a year break inbetween made me more confused than ever :p

Ormorof

FH is my second home
i am reading it and loving it :)

not available in Finland yet afaik but luckily i was in London last week and picked it up for £12 hardback :)

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
I'm almost done and kinda regret reading it so fast :( It really is awesome though, not at all like A Feast for Crows.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I'm 30% through according to Mr Kindle. I really need to re-read the other books too.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
some great new stuff in the book :)

[MODIT]DO NOT READ THIS SPOILER UNLESS HALF WAY THROUGH THE NEW BOOK[/MODIT]

holy shit another Targeryen! what the hell is the world gonna think when Bran, Rickon, Sansa and Arya all pop up too? how many dead characters (that we know are not dead) are there wandering around? will the Hound make a comeback? how many characters that we thought dead are really just hiding somewhere?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I'm not going to click the above spoiler, can you edit your post to say how much you can safely read before opening it?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
i cant edit now but i wouldnt read it until at least halfway through the book then! :)

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Well I finished it.

It's tough for me to say I'm disappointed because it is really, really good. The writing is excellent, the chapters are almost all very interesting (unlike A Feast for Crows, where I dreaded reading through each Brienne chapter as well as Sansa's and Samwell's). The real problem is that the plot moved forward very slowly. I suppose it can't be avoided with so many storylines going on at once.

We have no conclusion to Meereen (and honestly, I tire of Daenerys insisting on staying there beyond all reason). Doran Martell's epic plan for "Vengence, Justice, Fire and Blood" ended up with Quentyn roasted by a dragon (really, who thought that plan was going to work?). Jon made a mess on the wall (though I don't think he is truly dead). Stannis won one small battle and then ended up doing nothing in the snow (also: is not dead). Tyrion went through a fair bit but didn't quite end up doing anything or getting where we wanted him. Ayra's story barely went anywhere. Bran made it to the three-eyed crow and learned to see stuff, past and present seemingly, through the trees. Will be interesting to see how it plays out I suppose.

It's a shame we had to wait until so late in the book to get some Victarion Greyjoy chapters. He is one of the few true badasses still around. His chapters were so good, wish there were more, wish he actually reached Meereen and smashed the slaver fleet.

Anyway, I'm now rooting for Aegon. He has the best claim and seems the most worthy. I hope he takes Storms End quickly and gets Dorne on side.

Oh, and has there been a better prologue chapter? Fuck that was good.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Just finished this and I can't say I really enjoyed it. So much exposition and so little plot advancement. Some good chapters and some surprises good and bad.

Given how slowly it went though, I can't help worrying that we're going to end up with another Wheel of Time here with book after book of turgid non-plot until George dies and someone else wraps everything up in a couple of madcap books that read like a plot summary Powerpoint presentation.

I'm pretty sure I'll be buying the next one though, possibly in 2015 or whenever it comes out :)

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
I really liked it, you're both right in that nothing major happened but I loved it for the writing, the characters and the world building. Even the minor characters are fully fleshed (until Ramsay bolton gets hold of them anyway).

I can believe Stannis is dead but I'm highly doubtful Jon is.
Is it too obvious that Jon is Azor Azai? Melissandre looking into the flames asking to see him and seeing nothing but snow isn't exactly subtle!
Plus it would leave us without any real PoV at the wall which is obviously one of the main threads of the story...

I can see why you'd be frustrated with Dany in this book but really, I thought it was a great character arc for her. She spends the whole book trying to play to the mother side of her character and restraining the dragon part (literally). Now she knows that isnt going to work for her and honestly, I sooooo hope the TV series gets this far because I would love to see Dany mounting Drogon on film :)

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
Just finished it. Read the whole series so far in less than a week. Bloody awesome! Here's hoping that the next book isn't too long coming out!

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Was a fantastic read. Came home from work at 7PM, had dinner, started reading. Went for a bathroom break and ohshite.... it's 2AM on a school night.

That said, I do hope we don't have to wait years for the next one. Mr Martin will die of old age before he finishes at the current rate of writing.

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
That said, I do hope we don't have to wait years for the next one. Mr Martin will die of old age before he finishes at the current rate of writing.

Yeah but its ok cos he won't actually be dead and he'll be back in the next book

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Yeah but its ok cos he won't actually be dead and he'll be back in the next book

hahaha :)

when i finished i mostly was like "whaaaaaaaaaah they cant end the book like this!!" but as i am muchos excited for the next one i guess its a good marketing strategy!!

Also Aegon for the win, and i wonder who Griff will infect to cause us all heartache and grief :p

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
please only open if you've read it...

For all Varys' hopes for Aegon, and Connington's, he's turned out to be a brash, glory seeking fool. He'll die horribly :)

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
please only open if you've read it...

For all Varys' hopes for Aegon, and Connington's, he's turned out to be a brash, glory seeking fool. He'll die horribly :)

I don't agree with that. If he is going to be a leader, he has to start leading his men at some point. I think he is the same age as Loras Tyrell, older than Daenerys and Robb Stark. Loras and Robb have lead armies, why shouldn't Aegon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom