A salutation to the greatest living Scotsman

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
No this isn't about leggy. He's clearly dead inside.

:D

No, this is about the funniest man on the planet. Most of you will have been laughing at his stand-up routines for years, if not at his dodgy facial hair. But, for offending the moral majority of Britain, then when asked about it at the airport calling the paparazzi a bunch of *****.......

Billy Connolly, we salute you.

Milkshake

Loyal Freddie
I went to see him live in the Hammersmith a week ago, travelled all the way down from Edinburgh (via Cambridge Uni to see meh cousin).

Worth every penny, and minute spent in the train. Go and see him if there are tickets.

I didn't know I could laugh so hard, for SO long. (2hr 30mins!)

We salute you BC!

nath

Fledgling Freddie
He is fantastic - why are we saluting him though?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
His 'caught in the act of wanking' joke is legendary.

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
In his book when he speaks about his prank call in edinbugh is classic

Bodhi

nath said:
He is fantastic - why are we saluting him though?

For his comment in a stand-up show he did recently about that Bigley bloke's captor's, something along the lines of "I wish they'd fucking get on with it". That offended enough people to give him nuff respec' in my book :D

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Not sure I respect out n out trying to offend, but then I'm not sure I disagree with his comment.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
If they did go through with it, it's a terrible way to go. I mean, it's not as though they do it in one fell swoop, more like hack at his neck with a kitchen knife.

:/

Whipped

Part of the furniture
They won't do it while there is still media coverage about them. I garauntuee the only reason the Americans have already got the chop is because the American TV didn't cover it. Either that or they ate all the captors French Fries ;)

As for BC, class bloke, funny as hell and someone I dearly wish to see live before he dies.

oblimov

Luver of Buckfast
billy is a genius!

his jokes are superb, the one about the dude with terets syndrom in the shopping arcade is absolute genius

Im just gutted hes not playing scotland :(

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I do like Billy Connoly, its a bit fucking shit to say that stuff though. Imagine how Bigleys family feels.

GekuL

Fledgling Freddie
I was thinking along similar lines to tell the truth. This is one person, hundreds of people who didn't have the luxury of choosing to be in Iraq died whilst he was being held captive. It's sad, but people only care because of the press coverage the hostage takers engineered.

mank!

Part of the furniture
I wonder if he feels like a right **** now.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
It's a horrible thing to say, regardless of nationality.

:/

leggy

Probably Scottish
Get over it losers. I don't see anyone crying over third world death and complaining about Ethiopans in telephone box jokes.

Bym

One of Freddy's beloved
I can't believe they did it, I really didn't think they would after all this time.

I wish I hadn't just read how they did it. :/

leggy

Probably Scottish
Bym said:
I can't believe they did it, I really didn't think they would after all this time.

I wish I hadn't just read how they did it. :/

To be perfectly honest I had a feeling this would happen and I'm not just saying that. It's better shock value and it satisfies their aim perfectly.

How to get the biggest reaction and most media attention:

Pretend you're going to let him go then chop is head off anyway.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I can believe they did it Bym, I can't understand why they did it; although these people are hundreds of years behind civilised society and are medieval in nature.

Apparently, according to the news, Bigley tried to escape but they caught him. Perhaps if he never tried to escape, things might have been different.

G

leggy

Probably Scottish
He was aided by one of his capteurs though. I assume it's because he knew that bigley's execution was imminent.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Lets get this in perspective. This chap worked in Iraq. He was obviously getting paid a lot of money to do so, and he knew the risks. He got caught, and some religeous maniacs murdered him. Horribly. And Im very sorry for that :(
But arnt we screaming a little too loudly ? The other day the americans sent a missile into a wedding party, loads of people killed, including the groom. We didnt bat an eyelid. Those people had no choice about being in Iraq, its where they live. They arnt getting paid pots of cash to be there.
Yet we dont cry over them.
It all seems a bit hypocritical to me .

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I've long thought the best comedians are the ones who don't care who they offend. Jokes come at the expense of somebody/something, thats their nature.

Bodhi

mank said:
I wonder if he feels like a right **** now.

Probably not no. I'm sure if he was that worried he wouldn't have said it in the first place.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I quote from the Sun today -

Comic Billy Connolly yesterday said he was deeply saddened and that his thoughts were with Ken Bigley's family.

He spoke out just days after saying on stage the hostages captors should "just get on with it".

Connolly, 61, later insisted he had not joked about Ken's plight

It does appear he doesn't have the balls anymore after seeing the publics reaction towards his comments.

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Uhhh. The Sun sure is a good news source! That sounds like a twisting of words, to me. Quoted from here:
And in comments posted on his website last week Connolly said he was "angry and disgusted" by the press's treatment of his remarks from the stage of the Carling Apollo in Hammersmith.

It said: "Billy's stage comments were restricted to pointing out the hypocrisy of some people, including sections of the media, faking concern about Mr Bigley's predicament while enjoying the drama of the tragedy and exploiting it for their own ends".
I imagine they've quite likely taken this statement about his comments and twisted it round to say that he claimed he didn't make the joke.

And basically Billy Connolly is quite goddamn right.

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Hrm in fact, here's the quote from Billy Connolly's website, to save you all from having to navigate that awful flash piece of crap:
STATEMENT REGARDING REPORTS OF REMARKS FALSELY ATTRIBUTED TO BILLY CONNOLLY ABOUT KEN BIGLEY

Billy Connolly is angry and disgusted by reports that he joked about Ken Bigley being harmed.

Billy's stage comments were restricted to pointing out the hypocrisy of some people including sections of the media faking concern about Mr Bigleys predicament while enjoying the drama of the tragedy and exploiting it for their own ends.

Like everyone else Billy Connolly is desperately saddened by the news of Ken Bigley's death and his thoughts are with the family.
It's a shame that the statement is phrased in such a way that it's so very easy to see how it could be twisted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom