a question about melee ranger specs

pjuppe

Fledgling Freddie
from what i understand the higher you spec in celtic dual the bigger is the chance that your off hand will swing. but on the other hand it seems to me that blades has better styles.

so, what's a good balance between the two?

Solari

Can't get enough of FH
from what i understand the higher you spec in celtic dual the bigger is the chance that your off hand will swing. but on the other hand it seems to me that blades has better styles.

so, what's a good balance between the two?

Okay to answer your question.

Offhand swings are calculated at a 25% base chance and then your spec * 0.68.

Formula then being 25 + 0.68 * spec.

Your question is regarding Wyrd's theories, basically it says that if your weaponspec is 50 and your using styles from CD any increase in weaponspec above the 50 had minimum returns. Allowing you to boost your cd spec.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
So in short ...

Spec 50 Celtic dual 39 stealth and 50 composite blades :eek:

Meradesh

Fledgling Freddie
So in short ...

Spec 50 Celtic dual 39 stealth and 50 composite blades :eek:

yes and your dmg will be fine with this, but your defense penetration will be higher using base styles than advanced styles, with 50 sword your enemies will evade/parry/block less when you use sword styles. And the meele ranger nightmare patch is coming =) .

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Yea , bad time to make melee ranger tbh ... make a moololer and win :D

pjuppe

Fledgling Freddie
I wrote this a long time ago, some of it might be out of date but it might give you some pointers... It's before the blade off evade stun but the rest of your question should be answered.

https://forums.freddyshouse.com/showthread.php?t=179454&highlight=guide+melee+rangers

thx, plenty of interesting reading there :)

Okay to answer your question.

Offhand swings are calculated at a 25% base chance and then your spec * 0.68.

Formula then being 25 + 0.68 * spec.

Your question is regarding Wyrd's theories, basically it says that if your weaponspec is 50 and your using styles from CD any increase in weaponspec above the 50 had minimum returns. Allowing you to boost your cd spec.

but it seems to me (looking at the char plan) that blades have growth rates on everything but the side chain so i'm wondering if i would gimp myself spec:ing higher blades and using mainly blades styles.

something like 50blades, 44cd, 36 stealth and rest in PF or 50blades, 39cd, 36 stealth and rest in pf.

Yea , bad time to make melee ranger tbh ... make a moololer and win :D

but boooring and i don't like new fotm classes :( if i just get pounded (which i probably will since i'm crap) i can always result to zerging. i don't think the germans will mind one more easy rps zerging ranger.

Solari

Can't get enough of FH
thx, plenty of interesting reading there :)

but it seems to me (looking at the char plan) that blades have growth rates on everything but the side chain so i'm wondering if i would gimp myself spec:ing higher blades and using mainly blades styles.

something like 50blades, 44cd, 36 stealth and rest in PF or 50blades, 39cd, 36 stealth and rest in pf.

Your CD quickbar should basically only have Squall, snowshower, blinding rain > blizzard and Icestorm > Tempest > (Supernova).

Your blades line would consist of either Taunting blade OR Fire blade > Spectrum blade depending on what you prefer. Then your off-evade style and that's about it.

When it comes to positionals CD styles outperform blades imo, because of the side stun and back snare. And keep in mind CD affects your chance to swing your offhand weapon, my ranger sits with a 72,6% chance for an offhand swing which adds up a whole lot of damage from what a higher blade growth rate would have done.

So to sum it up. Taunting blade and Squall have similar growth rates with little to no diffrence. Fire blade > spectrum blade outperforms Squall and has a combat speed debuff effect, but it's harder to land 2 styles in a row and Fire blade is quite end consuming, most resort to spamming squall, but if you go blades open with Fire blade > spectrum blade then return to taunting blade after the slow effect has applied to your target. When trying to dish out damage, the Icestorm chain should be your favorite because it utilizes the side stun, which is a brilliant opener from stealth of a f'in pain in the behind if your facing a good strafer. The icestorm chain is easier to land because of the stun and it also has the combat speed debuff effect. (Supernova is calculated from your weaponspec due to a bug, but bear with me I recall having read they change it in a patch so maybe that's just out of date.)

It was proven that a 50 CD, combined 50 weapon spec would outperform a 50 weapon, combined 50 CD spec. BUT that is disregarding the weaponskill debuff and as some people mention your chance to penetrate your opponents defence.

pjuppe

Fledgling Freddie
Your CD quickbar should basically only have Squall, snowshower, blinding rain > blizzard and Icestorm > Tempest > (Supernova).

Your blades line would consist of either Taunting blade OR Fire blade > Spectrum blade depending on what you prefer. Then your off-evade style and that's about it.

When it comes to positionals CD styles outperform blades imo, because of the side stun and back snare. And keep in mind CD affects your chance to swing your offhand weapon, my ranger sits with a 72,6% chance for an offhand swing which adds up a whole lot of damage from what a higher blade growth rate would have done.

So to sum it up. Taunting blade and Squall have similar growth rates with little to no diffrence. Fire blade > spectrum blade outperforms Squall and has a combat speed debuff effect, but it's harder to land 2 styles in a row and Fire blade is quite end consuming, most resort to spamming squall, but if you go blades open with Fire blade > spectrum blade then return to taunting blade after the slow effect has applied to your target. When trying to dish out damage, the Icestorm chain should be your favorite because it utilizes the side stun, which is a brilliant opener from stealth of a f'in pain in the behind if your facing a good strafer. The icestorm chain is easier to land because of the stun and it also has the combat speed debuff effect. (Supernova is calculated from your weaponspec due to a bug, but bear with me I recall having read they change it in a patch so maybe that's just out of date.)

It was proven that a 50 CD, combined 50 weapon spec would outperform a 50 weapon, combined 50 CD spec. BUT that is disregarding the weaponskill debuff and as some people mention your chance to penetrate your opponents defence.

ook, 50CD it is then. thx for the info :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom