a few noob questions :)

I

iluvatur

(i havent got the game yet, i'm just planning a template that would suit me best)

would like a wandering samurei type char

(i'm a big rurouni kenshin fan if your trying to get a picture of the type of char i want)

1) wanted to start with master swordsman so i can use a katana type sword, but can anyone tell me how they hold the sword etc... do they just hack and slash or does it look like a samurai?

2) next i was told that you could get your own buffs if you went for master doctor? but are they worth going for the speccing? being able to heal yourself after battle would be handy, and i wont have any ranged attacks so i want my melee to be as strong as it can get.

3) squad leader gives group buffs... but does this affect yourself as well if you're solo? if not i'd probably go for tracking or scouting or something like that ( like a solo adventure skill )

can i even spec for all these at once? i got told that there are pr-requisites for some skills. Other specs/suggestions welcome and advice on my own

Edit: would love a skill with maybe a run speed buff or something similar if there is one .. maybe in scouting?

OH and give sunblock straw hat! :D

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

1) Depends on what you want to do - PvP or PvE wise.
For instance, you won't be able to kite that juicy rogue Famba because of your steak knife spec.
PvP... dunno - every melee char that ran into Mr. Landooni was kited to death. Sprinting etc. So ner.
They might have changed that. Haven't pvp'ed since moving to yankee land due to slow connection/lag - so don't take that for granted.

2) Just get novice medic and spec high enough to be able to use stimpack B's. That will do.

3) If you want to (or rather if you have to) solo alot - get scout, maybe even ranger, creature handler and some ranged weapon skill.

I

iluvatur

kinda wasn't the point :), i fancy some pvp and pve, but i only really want to be really handy with my katana. I plan to roleplay a little as well so not being 'uber l337' doesn't bother me.

i don't really want to use any modern equipment myself ( guns/ranged etc) i just want to enhance the melee skills and speed and run speed etc.

Edit: oh and one last question :), if i were to spec for fencing and swordsman ... would the bonuses from fencing apply when i was using a 2hand sword .. ie the defensive skills be transferred and passive? or only when i had a one hand sword in my hand?

T

Tenko

Ok I just used the Char builder on Allakazam

http://swg.allakhazam.com/

You must have the 1-handed weapon style from Brawler to use one handed sword, but not very much (lvl 1 I think!)

I took it to lvl 4.

Then, because I assumed you want to kick ass with your sword :p, I took Master Fencer. This left very little for anything else (but not as little as I'll have at Master Bounty Hunter!)

I spread it mostly in Medic and a little in Scout, just so I can go solo, which unfortunately I think camping is essential for.

But play around, the skill system is a joy to play with.

N

Nightchill

Currently, due to Center of Being being utterly broke for TKAs, a low level Fencer (with CoB up) can rape a TKM.

There's a few things you can do with kiters, the obvious one is don't chase them. presumably they want to kill you just as much, so back off to some buildings and wait. an easier method is to get some pistol skills, the DF line on smuggler is great, so is part of the pistoleer line. Stopping Shot should help a lot.

Or, if you want a more "hunting" type feel, go Overt in AH then hunt between AH and Bestine looking for rebel bases and attack the Imps who get TEFs when they attack them. I've only ever had one run off before I was on him. Not honourable perhaps but hey..

I

iluvatur

errr man ... what are you guys talking about :p

like a whole different language, i come from daoc so any linking phrases would be useful :D

well i'll play around with that builder thing, can anyone tell me what i need to spec for in doctor to get buffs?.. i don't plan on getting revive and that stuff just enough to beef me up.

i was gonna go for fencer or swordsman ... but depends which looks the coolest i guess... how they hold it etc. might wait till i'm in-game and can see some fencers and swordmasters.

found that i can't take squad leader without marksman and ranger/scouting or something ... so i guess thats out :/ unless theres some sort of shuriken type weapon, or dagger throwing.

I

iluvatur

ok i played around a bit,

I decided to master swordsman and squad leader,(for the group defense/run stuff) with just enough points left over for some medic healing.

how important are the medic buffs? can i get potions that do the same thing and increase my health and action points?

would i be more effective in melee if i were to choose the medic instead of squad leader? i want to be self sufficient so i don't want a second account with a bot like i did with daoc :)

T

Tenko

I swear we need a DAoC/SWG Dictionary sticky! :D

Spices=Drugs=Potions with side effects.

Food=Potions without side effects.

Overt = Always can be attacked in PvP

Covert = Aligned with one side or the other (Rebel Alliance or Imperial) but not attackable in PvP unless...

TEF=Temporary Enemy Flag. If you attack a Rebel/Imperial target then players and MOBS from the other side can attack you. Like it says its temporary (Minutes in length but I cant remember how long!)

To your questions....

What do you need to be self sufficient?

1) A combat class at Master.
2) A little medic (the starter class on its own, will allow you to heal upto a 1/3 of your damage with one heal with some expensive medicine, the Stim B, referred to below)

There ARE people who play without any medic but I won't be one of them, not solo. Also:

3) Scout. This allows you to harvest organic material which is then used in making medicines in the novice medic skills pllus it gives me a secondary money making line (selling hides and skins to armour crafters) I have no choice in having this skill as Im a bounty hunter but remember pets/vehicles can only be summoned in camps or cities.
4) Creature handling. I hate this class, it feels really out of place in SWG seeing people run around with bloody Rancors and panthers and crap but it does admittedly give a player a Tank to help take the heat.
5) ANYTHING YOU THINK WILL BE FUN! If the final character you want has lots of skill points left then learn something different or fun. Musicians, Chefs, dancers, whatever just dabble abit here and there, ESPECIALLY while you've still not used all your points will make your gametime much more fun.

Remeber that although you will EVENTUALLY have 250 skill points to spend on the skills you've learnt theres nothing stopping you being every Novice class in the beginning.

W

|WarpiG|

never tried the melee professions but my friend has mastered heavy swords twice :) (he loves it that much)

all i know is that with the new mitigation and a full set of buffs he can tank almost anything (bar krayts and dune kimo's)

he uses a Power Hammer that hits with blast damage, almost everything is vunerable to blast :) He slaps his 2 mind bleeds onto all the targets (totaling about 8K damage per tic on each) then spams the area combo's till they drop.

Im a MCH, an since this new stuff been introduced, i only ever use the pets to tie up NPC's for him allowing him to get into range.

In PVP he's pretty much screwed solo... unless they run towards him :p then he can incap in 1 hit :)

Z

-Ziro-

Hahahahaha, hello Ilu :p

So many questions and so many answers....

So you want melee, good for you, you will feel much like a samurai and the gfx on the combat moves are just lovely :)

I'm a master doctor, meaning I can buff myself with the best packs and apply antidote and stuff like that which is another story.

You don't have to be master doc to use buffs, you either just have nov medic (which Id say is a must for all who wants to be self sufficient) and have other docs buffing you or you can dabble doctor tree with 0240 so you can use the best buffs crafted by other master docs such as myself.

Buffs make a huge difference, the good ones will more than double all your stats except the 3 mind attributes and once you tried em you can't live without em.

My template was master doc/master carbineer but I dumped carbineer to try out melee coz I was getting bored with range. Going for pikeman, which Im told is gimped (at least in pvp) but it's great fun (and you can never really be gimped when youre buffed) and it looks very good.

Don't worry about speed when it comes to travelling, theres mounts (creature you can ride and theyre your own) and vehicles like in the movies which will make you wonder why you spend all that time on horseback in daoc taking deroutes.

Anyways if youre serious I can always let you in on some more secrets :)

Cya

I

iluvatur

i might be seeing you soon Z :D will probly try eclipse as i have some friends on there

Users who are viewing this thread