A few harmless ideas of how I want a new DAoC server to be!

I quited DAoC when NF came out b/c I felt that it really was the last nail in the coffin. But ever since I quited I missed what DAoC used to be... So here is my idea of how DAoC SHOULD be if I was to decide.

1st, I would introduce a new server type wich we can call DAoC-classic.
The new DAoC-classic server would be a none Trials of Atlantis server, a none New Frontiers server. The new server would still have housing zones and it would still have all the old pre ToA mobs, items and classes. Really the only thing I would keep from the "normal DAoC" servers is the enhanced catacombs graphics.

2nd, I would like to get the old realm abilities back, but I would leave out the assassin ability see hidden and the archer ability true sight since I belive those were damaging to the game. Also every realm should share the RA's just like it is in NF since I belive it will make RvR more balanced. Now iam sure somone will say that a healer with BoF and group pruge would be overpowered - I concure/agree. To solve that problem Healers PR, Clercis BoF and Druids GP could not be specced amongst those classes. For example a Thane could get BoF, a Friar could get GP, and a Mentalist could get PR. This would make these chars more desireable for a full group in RvR and still not make them overpowered in 1v1, 2v2 etc. ( this is just an example of how it could be made )

Classes like svages (for example, there is a few other obvious ones) should be "fixed" like they are on the current live servers as in, not 'quad-hitting' 24/7 and thier selfbuffs/shouts should remain as they are at the atm.

3rd, I would enlarge the old frontiers and re-vamp them in a way so that there would be less bottle-necks such as mile gates. The mile gates should still be where they were but 2 or 3 should be added in every realms frontier to avoid any massive crowding and make the RvR more diverse and changing. For example if there is 3 fg hibs camping 1 mile gate and a frontal assult would mean death then the single group could escape through another mile gate and backstabd the "zerg".

4th, The keeps should be at aproximply the same position as they were in the old frontiers but they should be gaurded by one tower. When the tower is "standing" it should enchance the durability/power/strenght of the keep in a way that it should be wiser and more strategic to first knock out the tower and then proceed to the keep itself.
There should be no teleport system nor should it be any "war-realm map" that indicates on-going fights or sieges. The gaurds in a claimed keep should notify the guild that posseses it and the guild in turn will braodcast that infromation as they wish.

5th, This new server should support the use of the classes added in ToA as in NF. Got no real good plan for how they should be introduced since I do not know thier roles in a group situation RvR/PvE/Solo.

Okej, that was 5 ideas of how a new server type could be built around. I would love to hear other peoples ideas and suggestions.
Remind you this is no flame, troll or any stealthed "x char is overpowered, nerf it now" post.

raid

Can't get enough of FH
co-op in pve zones (can group with all realm classes everywhere)
pvp in frontiers (only ur group and guild neutral, others enemy)
toa (better tank vs caster balance)
no stealthers (they bring nothing positive to nonstealther gameplay)
preferably old frontiers, or nf without towers

imo ;)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
old frontiers with the new keeps, not the towers though, no mile gates and maybe a slightly bigger emain/odins/HW area
Bring back the old RA system, with maybe a few tweeks
keep toa but remove MLs and artifacts, keeping the dropped stuff
Keep catacombs and the cata classes
remove the ability to go underwater in the frontiers
change the crafting system, at present its just shit.

raid said:
co-op in pve zones (can group with all realm classes everywhere)
pvp in frontiers (only ur group and guild neutral, others enemy)
toa (better tank vs caster balance)
no stealthers (they bring nothing positive to nonstealther gameplay)
preferably old frontiers, or nf without towers

imo ;)
Not sure but isn't that what PvP servers are like these days? :p

Keep the ideas comming... fun to read and maybe some important person at either GoA or Mythic reads it and get a clue of what ppl desire.

Septina

Part of the furniture
This thread is just one of the countless threads like this that ppl have made.
GoA cant do anything without Mythics approval and from the looks of it, this will not happen :(
I did however read something about a retro server, no idea if it was fake or not... was quite some time ago i read it :/

Anyhoo, gifv back DAoC with patch 1.65 which is imo the most balanced patch in daoc history :p

Mutoria

Fledgling Freddie
Septina said:
GoA cant do anything without Mythics approval and from the looks of it, this will not happen :(
I did however read something about a retro server, no idea if it was fake or not... was quite some time ago i read it :/

Anyhoo, gifv back DAoC with patch 1.65 which is imo the most balanced patch in daoc history :p

he said it was just his opinions though? he obviously would want it to happen but hes not directly asking them.

Helme

Resident Freddy
Am I the onlyone whos happy with the game as it is? (with few exceptions Warlocks mainly)

Septina

Part of the furniture
Helme said:
Am I the onlyone whos happy with the game as it is? (with few exceptions Warlocks mainly)

I'm quite happy with the game as it is, but... if GoA/Mythic offered a PRE ToA/NF server... would you say no to it?

rvn

One of Freddy's beloved
nf and the new RA's totally suck compared to old frontiers and old RA's

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
i love new ra system, im not really in love with most of NF content tho (not all bad tho) but i also love the old ra/frontier zone.

FallycSymbol

Fledgling Freddie
Matriarch|Sneakers said:
Not sure but isn't that what PvP servers are like these days? :p

Apart from the fact that 90% of PvP'ing goes on in ToA zones then yes

Septina said:

Well I read some letter on herald.com wich the CEO of mythic had written and where he stated a to-do list and one of the things that was "planned" was a new server type but it was not close to the things I mentioned in my post... but things is slowly moving at mythic office and he stated that they will use info from cummuntiy forums when they set up the server ( if they do it that is, since its not a prommise just a to-do list )

I guess I just wanted to see what other ppl thought of tmy ideas and if u could change anything or if u could choose what would it be then... :p .

Still would be fun to see some more suggestions and ideas and not just the same old point and flame posts.
Keep it comming :p

Xzynia

Fledgling Freddie
Personally i think NF is alot better than OF, if what ppl misses is emain where almost everyone meet and RvR'd then why dont we just make emain that place again?? Everyone can meet in emain. PPL dont have to jump at Crauch, can go Hibernian coast as well etc...

I think it would be great, cuz i miss the action in emain as well was great fun...

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
Helme said:

Nope. It ain't perfect but NF is more varied than OF (only thing would be to reduce the number of towers to 2 per keep) and new RA system is on the whole better (again with a couple of exceptions like charge). MLs/artifacts still need some work in places (e.g. grapple) but generally rvr is more fun for most people than it's been for a long time.

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Matriarch|Sneakers said:
3rd, I would enlarge the old frontiers and re-vamp them in a way so that there would be less bottle-necks such as mile gates.

So like urm...NF then?

Matmardigan

Part of the furniture
IMO We pay Mythic, So they should do WHAT WE WANT.

Give old ra/OF back.

MaddogUK

Fledgling Freddie
My 2 pennies!

Re vamp crafting so you can make the best possible equipment
Make MLs easier to get and half timers on arti's
Keep NF for relic + DF control (dont change it basicly)!
Re-introduce OF but make keep take in OF appealing as well..possibly a new dungeon or big bonous..
Possibly make a reason to seige realm gates as well..i.e destroy x and make y amount of gold/plat ..
Make Old style dungeon raids more appealing as well (make drops better basicly)
Theres a lot of aspects from the old game thats been killed off by expansions that if xp or drops where fixed would see people visiting those area's...
I'd like to say make home invasion possible but i'm thinking game as is rather than start again on new server.
:twak:

eggy said:
So like urm...NF then?

No absolutely not, read my post. And u will see that I wished for a larger OF with mile gates and such but to avoid the old zergs that always assembled around ( amg emain ) you make 2-3 new mile gates in every realms frontier so that the players themself can choose if they wanna counterzerg or just slip out the backdoor and avoid the 'zerg'.

Reason of this post was to see if other ppl thought that it should be possitive to get a new server that had a new "game-type" that was diffrent from the current live servers. I mean to me it seems to be an obvious demand for a such thing and that would ( according to what i hear from old daoc buddys etc ) be a reason for them/me to come back and play daoc again wich ofc is not a bad thing, right?
To have a choice is always good in my book. ;)

Dorin

Fledgling Freddie
majik said:
Is this your opinion or is it the unanimous vote of all the leechers on excal?

NF, the wet dream of the scout zerg (biased reply4tehwin)

achaius

Fledgling Freddie
majik said:
Is this your opinion or is it the unanimous vote of all the leechers on excal?

I only ever speak for myself. Personally I parked my merc and rolled my scout specifical for NF and it works great for me. I have a top job, a wife and two young kids, and with my scout and NF I can come on when I get some time and find some action and have some fun without too much problem. So personally NF has been a great step forward in the game.

achaius said:
I only ever speak for myself. Personally I parked my merc and rolled my scout specifical for NF and it works great for me. I have a top job, a wife and two young kids, and with my scout and NF I can come on when I get some time and find some action and have some fun without too much problem. So personally NF has been a great step forward in the game.

Course there is ppl like you ( and ur many ) that like NF and ToA and all that. But there is alot of ppl that would be happy to see a new server type introduced ( simular to "my own" dead server ) and I dont think one option should exclude an other... but i guess in the end it all comes to the $$ Mythic wanna make and not about what the players want. :p ( not sure tho, since it seems mythic is considering creating a new server type )

Ah, well I have written to mutch all ready so ill stop here ;)

waok`whips

Fledgling Freddie
Mythic are never going to take a step back and re-introduce old stuff, it's not a logical move. rather than adding new things, they should concentrate on fixing things and building on a base that players find acceptable, then they can start to add things in where nessasary. In my opinion, NF is alot better than OF, its got alot more structure to it than OF, the RA's i'm not too fond of, I liked my Purge and Ip combo, but those are old times I guess we lose but we gain something aswell.

waok`whips said:
Mythic are never going to take a step back and re-introduce old stuff, it's not a logical move. rather than adding new things, they should concentrate on fixing things and building on a base that players find acceptable, then they can start to add things in where nessasary. In my opinion, NF is alot better than OF, its got alot more structure to it than OF, the RA's i'm not too fond of, I liked my Purge and Ip combo, but those are old times I guess we lose but we gain something aswell.

Well my opinion is diffrent, I think a company should do what the customers want and ot what they think the customers want.
And just by reading on a few forums u can tell there is a certain demand of a "daoc-classic" server or somthing simular... :D
I would cancel WoW in a second if they ever introduced somthing in the lines of my OP.
/edit, dont get me wrong here i still think there should be "normal" servers but I want ( and i think others to ) an option to it. Maybe 1-2 servers of 15-20 ( dont really know how many EU daoc servers there is today ) could be a "daoc-classic" server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom