A couple of quick Necro questions...

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
1. Is there any point at all in incorporating resists into my SC template for RvR? As far as I know resists do not transfer to the pet, so I am better off maxing Str, Con, Dex, Pow, Int and Death Sight?

2. My spec is currently 48 (+12) Death Sight 24 (+1) Death Servant. At RR2L2 my RAs are MCL 1, Aug Acuity 2, MoM 2 and WP 1. If I respec to 50 Sight and 20 Servant, so 50 (+12) rather than 48 (+12), will that increase my damage or just slightly reduce the chance of resists?

3. Are any of the ML paths available to me worth pursuing for RvR or not?

TIA :)

Frostor

Fledgling Freddie
first of all resists do transfer to ur pet.
second it should increase ur dmg and decrease ur resists if im right
third i dunno

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
for necromancers versus monsters having modified spec = level of monster+1 removes all variance, and going above it doesn't improve anything.

No idea on what it's like when you attack players - duel someone and test with 48+3 and 48+12 :) (but keep int the same)

resists started transferring to the pet a fair few patches back.

Comos

Loyal Freddie
I think allmost everything transfers to pet... or at least that's how Mythic intends it, dunno if it is in reality atm. I don't know about STR tbh, not like your pet is a melee one... though it may be able to do some dmg I guess, in that case you might as well cap QUI for faster swinging speed, but it would also make it harder to cap everything. I'd focus primarily on caster needs, that means CON, DEX, INT all resists, max skill, 50 focus to sight ofc, hits. I wouldn't waste any good points in POW. I don't in my wiz template, I don't think anyone does tbh, it doesn't matter much, those few extra points in pow. Unless you increase pow cap sufficiently for it to make a dif, with artifacts etc. But since you have pow tap, I wouldn't. There's only the STR and QUI thing to think about, ask some others about it, or if you have spare imbue points, go for that. If I'll ever sort a template for my necro, I'd have to think about it, but that won't be anytime soon ;)

As for spec, 50 DS would seem obvious to me, if you wanne be a sightnecro.

And as for ML, go convoker, like most casters do. I've seen my bro with stormlord and he respecced to convoker as well. Both ML paths aren't that great, but at least convoker has some stuff you'll use (mostly when you're on your own). Nodes are not too bad, if you are camping an MG for example. Speedwarp is GREAT. Well for my wiz anyway, you see inc, drop warp and run, may be weird but it'll save you :p unless you feel like taking on a group by yourself. (speedwarp cast time is very fast btw, allmost insta). You also get brittle guards, which are great. They won't get speed from caster, but np as a necro and wiz, so nice for soloing again! When I moc with wiz to kill a stealther that still has the potential of doing enough dmg on a short amount of time, sufficient to kill me fast enough even with moc, then 3 - 4 of those brittle guards WILL save me, with plenty of hp to spare. Still for any caster class they are great. Casters with speed have some probs with em, cuz they won't get speed but will eventually get to the caster again at tank speed, unless they get agro on the way and die... (unless casters have croc ring ofc, then they will follow). Lets see, what else you get that's worth it... well the woodsummon is actually very nice. I thought it would be crap at first, but it has come in handy more the once, excellent costless solution for upgrading your guild's keep, or helping in keep defenses. You also get a DD mine, which in fact is also nice :p Especially when u stack em up with another caster's. If you stick 3 of em in amg gate, then a stealther passing there, who didnt see them, or even a fg will do some serious dmg! When the stealther is a bit dmged from a fight, you can easily kill him that way. Also nice for uncovering stealthers, and for knowing when there's an enemy group passing an MG, cuz the 'you hit xxxxx for xxx dmg' message will reach you even far off from where the DD mine is. Ehm you also get Pow tapping mine, not that useful, but still pretty nice in longer fights. Ranged focus pet, not very useful, maybe in bigger fights, can set it up on a GT from pretty far, but is easily killed. Dmg of it is ok though. ML 10 convoker's Crystal Titan seems very nice to me, eventhough I haven't got it yet, need 2 more MLs... but it hits very, very hard (on my wiz anyway). And I read it's getting a bit of an upgrade too, in a next patch. oh I forgot the Pet boost thing at ML 9, don't know but I guess it should work on your pet, in which case it's nice as well. I may have forgotten something here, but this should give you some info on Convoker ;)
Stormlord may be nice too though, but I don't think it can be as good as convoker.

GL with it

[edit] oh yey Regular Fred with this boring post, heh

Talifer

Fledgling Freddie
Just a note on the Convoker line, since Brittle Guards are pets of your pet (the abomination) they actually end up being attackable by allies. It's great fun staffing Necromancers guards down, they even give xp :)

Talifer

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for some great replies :)

I am still confused about resists though. If they do transfer, then why is my pet ALWAYS stunned/mezzed/rooted? I have max Spirit resist, but it seems to make no difference at all. So I still fail to see what benefit I get from incorporating resists into my template. I really am happy to, but I don't see the return at the moment...

Am I correct in the assumption that only Det affects the duration of crowd control, whereas resists simply determine whether or not that spell lands?

Ilienwyn

Fledgling Freddie
Personally I prefer the 48sight 24servant specc. The 24servant damage shield can be pretty painful in rvr and pve. Once a sb pa-ed a fully buffed pet with that damage shield and lost 20-25% of his life while barely scratching the pet :D

Edit: Resists tansfer but pet take full duration CC spells and gets no immunity timer too!! :(

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Respec to servant, its the only thing that makes it possible to play a necro for more than 5 minutes without falling asleep.

Youll still be sleeping after 10 mins, but its an improvement :p

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
Draylor said:
Respec to servant, its the only thing that makes it possible to play a necro for more than 5 minutes without falling asleep.

Youll still be sleeping after 10 mins, but its an improvement :p

TBH Servant sucks for RvR - groups are too spread out to make much use of the strengths the Servant line offers.

Sight is far better IMHO...

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
Ilienwyn said:
Personally I prefer the 48sight 24servant specc. The 24servant damage shield can be pretty painful in rvr and pve. Once a sb pa-ed a fully buffed pet with that damage shield and lost 20-25% of his life while barely scratching the pet :D

Edit: Resists tansfer but pet take full duration CC spells and gets no immunity timer too!! :(

Have you ever had CC resisted in RvR? I have played a lot recently and am always taken out - I've never had a single resist.

As for the damage shield, I agree - it's great in PvE, but stealthers rarely take me on. I am just in a quandry as to whether to keep the Lvl 24 damage shield or go for the higher damage and fewer resists I believe I'd get from having full Sight spec. I'll have to think about it, but will probably respec to 50 Sight 20 Servant with the free respec we get with NF.

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
Draylor said:
Heh. Necro in RvR :eek2:

I know - don't die of shock :D

I'll continue to play RvR until I get frustrated after being chain CC'd for the 100 millionth time and smash my screen in frustration :twak:

Talifer

Fledgling Freddie
Danamyr said:
Am I correct in the assumption that only Det affects the duration of crowd control, whereas resists simply determine whether or not that spell lands?

No, spells landing are based on levels (spell levels, character levels...) not resists. Castable crowd control (i.e. This does not include melee cc like slam etc) duration IS effected by resists. However this may not be true for the Necromancer pet as the code considers it a mob not a player.

Talifer

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
Danamyr said:
Have you ever had CC resisted in RvR? I have played a lot recently and am always taken out - I've never had a single resist.

Well for mezz purposes pet in a blue con mob so chance to resist quite small....ofc that never seems to count when I wanna mezz chanter pets on clerics :(

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
pets treat mezz differently to players...

1. they have the "enraged" code - if they're below 80%, no mezz. (this may not be the case for necro pets - not sure)

2. they don't get affected by aoe dropoff - if yer on the edge of the mezz radius you get 50% duration if you're a player, not if yer a pet.

It sounds like they also don't get reduced by resistances? (this would fit - they added in the reduction from resistances to RvR along with the dropoff from aoe and said they wouldn't affect PvE)

However your resistances will be handy for reducing any spell damage.

3. they _do_ get immunity though. Have done for ages - it's a myth that they don't.

Next patch you get a pet demezz - this clears up the problems with purge not working and effectively makes every mezz last at most 8seconds (or whatever the modified cast time of a 15s spell is when you're buffed) assuming you get some dex buffs on your shade.

Konah

Fledgling Freddie
did a necro template for a mate which capped str/dex/con/qui/int/hits/skill and most resists (99%suit) its light on artis and toa bonuses but its primarily a pve/pl suit designed to be cheap, using items that only contain resists so they continue to function at 70%con and items that are easily replaced, ie DF etc.

he hasn't had it sc'd yet but im looking forward to seeing how much difference it makes to the pets performance. str certainly seems to have an effect so i dont see why qui wouldn't and hopefully itll help with the qc delay after the pet swings that big ole 2-hander ;(

Nocode

Fledgling Freddie
Str. doesnt transfer to pet not even in 1.70.
Qui is supposed to transfer to pet but asfar as i know/have read it doesnt work.
Currently only dex/con/hits/resists transfer to pet.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Flimgoblin said:
However your resistances will be handy for reducing any spell damage.
To a certain extent yes. But since the pet is a lvl44 blue con almost all spells will do cap damage - and the pet dies very very quickly.

At least necro SC is fairly easy since you can switch items while casting pet for the stats that arent required all the time. str/con/qui/hits only matter at pet-cast time from what I remember.

Comos

Loyal Freddie
Nocode said:
Str. doesnt transfer to pet not even in 1.70.
Qui is supposed to transfer to pet but asfar as i know/have read it doesnt work.
Currently only dex/con/hits/resists transfer to pet.

and Int too, yes?

Nocode

Fledgling Freddie
Intel doesnt transfer to pet cause then acui buff would work on pet too i guess.
Game just uses casters intel/power pool for spell's (if that makes sence?)

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
Given that (as many of you have pointed out) my pet is blue con and will die quickly anyway once a caster starts, I think I will max the normal stats (Str, Con, Dex, Int and Qui) for the pet, max hits (do they transfer to the pet? If not then no point really), and max melee resists and get heat, cold and matter as high as possible. I will ignore spirit completely unless it just so happens to be on some jewelry I have. I'll also add 50 levels of focus for Sight and Pain and +11 to Sight and Pain.

After a chat with Ilian in Emain last night I intend to respec from 48 Sight 24 Servant to 50 Sight 19 Pain and 7 Servant. The Pain PB is far better then the one in the Servant line, and the +2 to Sight should slightly increase damage and lower resists.

Additionally, does anyone have any thoughts on active RAs? I was looking at Ichor, but am I right in thinking it's only single target? There was another that was a PBAOE DOT which looked nice, but can't remember what it was called.

Comments?

Ilienwyn

Fledgling Freddie
Danamyr said:
Additionally, does anyone have any thoughts on active RAs? I was looking at Ichor, but am I right in thinking it's only single target? There was another that was a PBAOE DOT which looked nice, but can't remember what it was called.

Wait for NF for those ras :eek6:

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Draylor said:
To a certain extent yes. But since the pet is a lvl44 blue con almost all spells will do cap damage - and the pet dies very very quickly.

At least necro SC is fairly easy since you can switch items while casting pet for the stats that arent required all the time. str/con/qui/hits only matter at pet-cast time from what I remember.

con (and possibly dex, though it may be melee only) buffs give the pet more resistance to magic, combine with resists and it'll last longer...

redh (the necro TL) does a lot of testing - loads of good info on the VN necro boards, however just about everything is posted by 50 enhance 25% bonus spec necros ;)

http://vnboards.ign.com/Necromancer_Forum/b22324/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom