A CounterStrike server plz?!

O

old.telescopi

With BarrysWorld getting a few more servers, I wonder if there would be room for a HL:CS server, it's a quite popular mod, now in it's 4th version. a Linux server has just been released also.

I am sure TFC is more popular, but I know it allready has a LOT of UK servers to play on - while CS has only demon servers (which are quite laggy from a BW diallup)

O

old.DrChris

The next of the new servers to go live will be running CounterStrike. Should be up in the next couple of days, dialup permitting.

DrChris.

O

old.telescopi

and very nice they are too
smile.gif

Nice too see they are getting used too (nothing worse than an empty server).

O

old.Riz

At last a BW CS server! And both were full last night when I was trying to get on! Nice to see lots of Quake players running about getting sniped to death and crying 'camper' every time they get whacked!
wink.gif

Any CS mapping guru's out there care to offer advice on the best mapping prog to use - I'm assuming Worldcraft is the standard for HL CS?

O

old.DrChris

The current player limit per server is 14, what do people think of this? Is it right for the size of maps, or should it be lower/higher?

DrChris.

O

old.Mad Kain

Well its been ok for me so far. I'm using a v90 modem in the uk, and I get pings of around 160-170 which are v.good
smile.gif

I haven't had any lag problems of late on the servers too.

------------------
Kain aka [EQX]Kain

O

old.Riz

I personally prefer smaller teams for CS, 6v6/5v5 works best IMHO - less people on a map makes it far more atmospheric and scary, crouching behind a door listening for enemy footsteps only to be out-foxed by some sneaky bast who's managed to creep up behind you is what I like most about CS.

What I like least is the situation when one side has a good range of weapons and rushes for the enemy asap after spawning, meanwile the other side is frantically trying to buy anything better than a popper and before they know it (esp on small maps) meet a mass of tooled-up players who just take the mick out of an out of position team with ineffective weapons. I'd really like to see a 10sec delay at the start to help prevent this and give people time to tool-up. Yes I know you can use aliases to quickly buy weaps/ammo, which I do, but it's of little use if the rest of your team doesn't...
wink.gif

O

old.telescopi

as you mention lag, I wonder, does anyone know how I can get a 'normal' ping in HL:CS?

Even on BW I get about 70-80, which, although it feels okay, isn't as low as I'd expect.

any commands / tweaks I can use?

I notice I get a lower ping with dual isdn (QW doesn't really benefit from it, ping wise).

Also, there are a lot of bad things about CS, but I'm willing to put up with them and just play the game, it's good to be doing something different after playing QW solidly for 2 years (stopping for meal breaks obviously).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom