"90% of whites have few or no black friends"

nath

Fledgling Freddie
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1264162,00.html

Anyone else think that this sort of poll is a complete and utter waste of time? I have loads of problems with it. For starters, the headline is "few or no black friends". It then leads on to say the statistic refers to "ethnic minorities". So which is it ffs?

I hate the fact that they've conveniently put together few and no in the statistic so you have no idea which is which. If it were "80% of white people have few black friends, 10% have none" that wouldn't be that bad - and that statistic up there doesn't discount that possibility.

Also, surely polls like this are affected by the location of the people taking them. I mean, surely in certain areas there are less ethnic minorities than others. London, of course, is a hotbed of multiculturality (is that a word?) - and if the poll was restricted to just here, I think the results would be a bit different.

However, I agree with the sentiment of the article, it's just that I really dislike it when they fiddle statistics to make them look more interesting than they may well be.

So uh - any comments/thoughts/contributions - or did you see a tree once?

Clown

Part of the furniture
Maybe. I would have just skipped past the article/poll and ignored it. I think if you lived in London then the result would have been much different. It's a bit obvious that not everybody has access to black people though, which is why I would have ignored it in the first place.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
the reason i have few or no black friends is simply because none of my friends happen to be black! its nothing to do with hes black im not gonna be his friend. this poll is crap imo. its counting racists and non-racists and putting them together and hinting that everyone without a black friend is some kind of racist.

maybe, no actually probably, i mis-understood it as usual. from what i see, the point its trying to make is that 90% of us white people are racist. im probably wrong so what exactly is the point in it?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
It's not really saying that (imo). I think it's just pointing out that, for whatever reason, white people and ethnic minorities tend not to mix. I think no one/both sides are at fault - but the point I believe it's trying to make is that there are consequences of not knowing/understanding other cultures that live among us.

Clown

Part of the furniture
It's trying to point out that white people and ethnic minorities don't mix. Round here, I think us 'ethnic' people out-number the white kids. They don't stick together, they hang out with anyone/everyone who they want to.

This poll sucks.

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
I dont have many Black friends, its not because or skin colour its just because of the black guys on my course aren't the kind of people i would be friends with.

GekuL

Fledgling Freddie
The operative word here is minority. Doesn't that suggest that there are less to go around?

mank!

Part of the furniture
I don't even know any black or asian people. At all. This must mean I am racist!

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
When I've spent a decent amount of time with 'black' people I've been friends with them (work mainly but uni as well). I have a few friends who are 'indian' and don't consider it anything special. Basically I'm not an equal opportunity employer and as such don't feel the need to comb the streets for a certain ethnic minority to make friends with to balance the numbers. In day-to-day life I've not got the time nor the inclination to introduce any racial discrimination; postitive or negative.

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Black people make up just over 2% of the UK population, ethnic minorities 8% simple maths make it obvious that not every white person in the UK is going to know them, Story debunked.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Furr said:
Black people make up just over 2% of the UK population, ethnic minorities 8% simple maths make it obvious that not every white person in the UK is going to know them, Story debunked.

Did you just make that up? Most of that 2% probably play professional football then, because English football is easily evenly split with black and white players now

pcg79

One of Freddy's beloved
so there are 1200000 or so black players in professional football ?!

GekuL

Fledgling Freddie
I don't think football is representative of any race to be honest :)

mank!

Part of the furniture
pcg79 said:
so there are 1200000 or so black players in professional football ?!

OK, I generalised, but in the UK spread across the 92 league clubs you will find most clubs regardless of where they're based have a fair few black players, some are made up of mostly blacks. I don't know about precise numbers mind, but that's how it's always seemed to me.

What I was saying was that if what Furr said is true and that black people make up only 2% of the entire population, then the proportions of footballers with regards to that 2% make it seem remarkably odd.

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Thats what the last census put it about and that was 2001? so I dont expect that there would be much more than a couple of percent change in that time period.

adams901

Can't get enough of FH
Why have they worded it that way, surely if few whites have black friends then the same goes for blacks, they have few white friends.

Few blacks have White Friends, no doubt it some PC bullshit where they are just trying to get a knee jerk reaction.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
It should be common knowledge, that "black people" (isn't there anything more PC? :/) are generally better at sports than white people. Comes down to genetics; being faster, stronger etc...

As for The Guardian talking complete cock, nothing's changed. Ignore 'em.

TheJkWhoSaysNi

One of Freddy's beloved
adams901 said:
Why have they worded it that way, surely if few whites have black friends then the same goes for blacks, they have few white friends.

Few blacks have White Friends, no doubt it some PC bullshit where they are just trying to get a knee jerk reaction.

It wont work that way since there are more white people than black people in the UK, meaning statistically black people will meet more white people than white people will meet black people.

Also what's wrong with saying "Black people" I think it's perfectly PC. I'm not offended by someone calling me a "White person".

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Sir Frizz said:
It should be common knowledge, that "black people" .. are generally better at sports than white people.

Darn it. You got there first.

Although you're probably treading on dodgy ground here. It's all too easy for some fucktard to start getting pissed off that you've pointed out that there's genetic differences between the "races". It's not the done thing to point out that everyone has their advantages and disadvantages apparently, racist or not.

Stazbumpa

Fledgling Freddie
Black people don't exist where I live and the only one that did, my mate Josh, buggered off to Scotland.

Silly poll, silly results, even sillier explanation for results.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I couldn't give two fucks about such bollocks. You're actually giving the twats who write this shite more credence than they deserve just by discussing it :)

STOP PRESS

ken Livingstone introduces new law!

All white citizens of London must aquire a black friend within one month!
The penalty for failing to follow this law will be having to have at least one of your white friends painted black in order to comply.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
lol Throddy, you rock :)

as to the colour of my friends, I don't really notice tbh. I have some brownish ones, some beige(esque) ones and some that are more or less pasty-white. some have freckles, but I draw the line at polka-dotted friends. call me racist :/

mank!

Part of the furniture
TdC said:
lol Throddy, you rock :)

as to the colour of my friends, I don't really notice tbh. I have some brownish ones, some beige(esque) ones and some that are more or less pasty-white. some have freckles, but I draw the line at polka-dotted friends. call me racist :/

racist

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
at least I publicly admit a dislike of polka-dotted people. I'm a better racist than some :/

mank!

Part of the furniture
I don't like 'em either, scourge of society if you ask me

Gef

Fledgling Freddie
The local pizza delivery service is run by Asians, they know me by name now .. does this count?

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
i've got some "ethnic minority" friends (who also happen to be relations as well)

On the other hand, some of the folk who I detest also fall into the above category. Not because of the colour of their skin or their racial background but simply because they are total titwanks and should bugger off back to Pakistan.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Gef said:
The local pizza delivery service is run by Asians, they know me by name now .. does this count?
I got a Christmas card from my local company last year :(

Vae

Resident Freddy
Whipped said:
I got a Christmas card from my local company last year :(
One of my mates got a bottle of wine from his local pizza delivery company!
You know that you've spent too much money there when you say the house number and they respond with the street name before you can say it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom