72 servers

Deacan

Fledgling Freddie
Sweet baby jesus and the orphans, least people won't moan they ernt got enuth room for alts hehe.

Shailaa

Loyal Freddie
wow, thats alot of servers
How many players does each server take? Anyone know?

Deacan

Fledgling Freddie
2500 the servers hold atm, but they can go up to 3000.

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Fuckin hell..... though some of them might be taken down, depends on how many people are gonna keep playing (and paying) after the free month is over

Ulcer

Fledgling Freddie
F**k a priest!!!!

Can you imagine how pissed off you would be to see that screen every time you tried to log in - after years of waiting for it you unwrap, instal, and.......somebody kill me

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
The thing is 72 servers sounds a lot but its actually less players than EQ2 has at present due to the WoW servers only holding 2.5K while EQ2 is 10K+

Although a lot of the EQ2 servers are well well beyond the 10K limit so who knows what the real number of players is on EQ2, as they dont lock you out of the server when it gets reached, wouldn't be supprised if Runnyeye (the old EU server) has 25K+ at peak.

Just hope Blizzard fix this sharpish as it could put a lot of people of what is a good game for newbies to MMO's.

nick

Fledgling Freddie
There's a big difference between WOW and the other mmorpgs in the way they handle the characters information. If you look at daoc and EQ you'll notice that from time to time it says character saved, this is infact the point where it writes the character information to the database.

WOW does this differently by making the database call everytime something on your character changes. They've probably done this to limit the chance of item duplication and other hacks occuring. This is very important in a PVP game moreso than say something carebears might play such as EQ2 as it directly affects the other paying customers.

Deacan

Fledgling Freddie
EQ2 server can only hold more as you have to fucking load a new zone every 5 second.

And with 250,000 sold in the first 24 hours, i see alot more servers, we still have a Europe and Korea release to go, and Blizzard are huge in korea.

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
Err no EQ sends a database update when ever any new object is handed to the player character i.e. when anything on the character changes. It just does these backup updates every ?5/15? minutes which sends all the info on the player and not just what has changed - including your location at the point in time and current experience which are not sent each time they are updated. Doubt WoW sends when ever you position in the world changes or you kill a mob as the DB calls would be increased exponentially and therefore the DB hardware requirements.

Ukle

One of Freddy's beloved
Deacan said:
EQ2 server can only hold more as you have to fucking load a new zone every 5 second.

And with 250,000 sold in the first 24 hours, i see alot more servers, we still have a Europe and Korea release to go, and Blizzard are huge in korea.

Yup EQ2 can hold more due to its design, which is better than a seamless world in my opinion due to the larger player numbers that i can give and due to if an area gets to busy a new instance is spawned.

As for 250,000 sold in 24 hours thats my point though the server numbers are far far to small for how many games i was expecting this to sell if this dont break 2 million + within 3 months i will be supprised ... so why the hell did they have so few servers open on American release.

Deacan

Fledgling Freddie
Seamless world are the way foward, and are alot better and alot less frustrating, not having to load main citys to a joy.

I find it annoying to have to zone alot when am going a long distance, and the server numbers are fine, with 10000 it would be far to overcrowded, and the population imbalance between Horde and Alliance would be insane.

EQ2 does not have to worry about PvP population imbalances either, but on the other hand, once the zones are less packed, i see no reason pop caps can't become higher, as each server has 2 server in, one for Azeroth and Kalimdor.

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
250,000 isn't that big compared to the 2 millions of players of Lineage (I) in South Korea.

Deacan

Fledgling Freddie
The only reason Linage has so many is because of the way online gaming works there, most of them play in Internet Cafes.

The Cafe buy about 50 subs, say if a person goes to the NetCafe, gets a Linage account, plays it for one day and never returns, that will still count towards there 250,000, once the NetCafe use all their account, even if its for one day, they go and buy anuther 50.

Linage has no way near that in active account, to bad no charts show active account, and only how many total accounts.

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Deacan said:
The only reason Linage has so many is because of the way online gaming works there, most of them play in Internet Cafes.

The Cafe buy about 50 subs, say if a person goes to the NetCafe, gets a Linage account, plays it for one day and never returns, that will still count towards there 250,000, once the NetCafe use all their account, even if its for one day, they go and buy anuther 50.

Linage has no way near that in active account, to bad no charts show active account, and only how many total accounts.

Most people in South Korea play from home, because most appartments etc, are hooked up to the internet...SK is the leading country within broadband in the world, apparantely seoul is the most wired city in the world... and you got it wrong claiming that ooh, south koreans only play from netcafes etc. because online gaming "works that way" over there. ;o

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie
72 servers but the post Blizzard made said an additional 34 to add to the 41 they brought up originally (=75). Why Blizzard only opened with 41 is a mystery.

Servers are capped at the moment as pointed out. Con-current population at any one time on day 1 exceeded 100,000. Game has sold out in most US shops - Walmart, Gamestop, EB etc

As for 'numbers will drop after first free month' - no reason to assume that. Same type of comment as 'well of course people are playing the free stress test but just wait till they have to buy the game'.

WoW is a behemoth.

lewskie

Fledgling Freddie
how can anyone predict the impact wow had in its first day, ok its blizz and everyones excited about the game but to fill up 72 servers so fast is quite somthing and doubt it could have been expected tbh. imo they will sort it and soon all the happy us customers will be playing >.< gifv eu wow tbh -.-

Deacan

Fledgling Freddie
LordjOX said:
Most people in South Korea play from home, because most appartments etc, are hooked up to the internet...SK is the leading country within broadband in the world, apparantely seoul is the most wired city in the world... and you got it wrong claiming that ooh, south koreans only play from netcafes etc. because online gaming "works that way" over there. ;o

I did not say they all play from NetCafe, but NetCafe's are a huge influence in mmorpg subscriptions in South Korea.

Unlike England, if you go the NetCafe to play a mmorpg, you usally have to already have a active account to play it there.

Vantros of the Delerium

Fledgling Freddie
Ning said:
250,000 isn't that big compared to the 2 millions of players of Lineage (I) in South Korea.

um isnt that what was sold in the first 24hours of the game being released in the us?? Its the biggest selling game ever in a 24 hour period.. and in Korea they have been begging for its release.. i think Blizzard are makeing sure the servers wont be to over packed and when u think about the fact that most EU DAoC servers only have 3500 players on them (at most) then 2500 is alot.. (average is 2100 i believe on Excal)

I wont deny that EQ II will be popular, but i think its lack of PvP will make it dwindle a little bit.. a server can hold 10k peeps thats great but no one wants to see lots of load screens.. if its all load screens then i think many will get Amiga 500+ flashbacks..

Bare in mind the open beta of WoW had 500k accounts opened up.. not includeing the ones allready playing the closed beta, and Blizzard aint stupid they will know that many of those people will not buy the game, and 250k people bought it in 24hours... dont u think that theres a big portion of those people who played the beta and wanted to play it main stream? As for the issue of people haveing problems makeing a character at that time.. i think its sorted now, i may be wrong however.

The best thing about Blizzard is they are useing any mistakes made in US servers and correcting them in the EU, hopeing it will be smoother, EU will be on the same patch as US also.. so unlike other companies (mythic/goa) the EU wont be subject to the same screw ups made in the US (previously.. although im sure they could make some in the future).. at least thats the hope.

Thats my 2 cents...

Rushster

Fledgling Freddie
Servers are actually up to 88 now, I wouldn't be surprised if we see more as well. At least hey are throwing some decenrt support behind the game :)

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
250 000 accounts / 3000 (server cap) gives out ~83 so ;o
Just to see how many that pays after the free month etc :x

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Vantros of the Delerium said:
um isnt that what was sold in the first 24hours of the game being released in the us?? Its the biggest selling game ever in a 24 hour period.. and in Korea they have been begging for its release..
Halo 2 - 2.4 million copies on the first day. :p

250,000 may well be the biggest MMOG sales in the first day though.

Incidentally, FFXI has well over half a million subscribers in the US and Japan, AFAIK it's currently the largest online game (excluding korean subs as they are not directly comparable to the rest of the world).

AhoyHoy

Fledgling Freddie
Well they must see something in it that Europeans dont, as none of the people i know personally that have played FFXI stuck with it for very long

DavidH

Part of the furniture
LordjOX said:
Thats exactly why there are 8x servers now. Not 72. :O

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie
LordjOX said:

I could say that LordjOX has no basis on which to make this statement.
I could say that it is what people said during closed beta - people will leave when all the 'kiddies' get in.
I could say that its what people said during open beta - people will leave when they have to pay to buy the game.

But I won't because the statement is fundamentally flawed.

Blizzard ran an open beta. I think we can assume that a significant number of those who bought the game tried it BEFORE they bought it. They tried it and still bought it. This strongly suggests that most of the people now playing are not going to leave after their first 'month'.

Spix

Fledgling Freddie
AhoyHoy said:
Well they must see something in it that Europeans dont, as none of the people i know personally that have played FFXI stuck with it for very long

Anime/Manga is the #1 consumable in Asia, thats probably the reason...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom