5 out of 10 times I go LD when porting between city's in ToA

[NO]Magmatic

Fledgling Freddie
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced or is experiencing LD's when porting between cities in ToA... 5 out of 10 times, when I port from one city to another, I get a constant red L, I can still see people move + talk, but I cant talk myself, nor do others see me move... After a few seconds/minutes (sometimes takes a while), I'll LD...

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with my computer, as my 2nd computer doesnt have this problem...

The computer I'm having problems with is using EP-8KDA3+ motherboard (Athlon 64, nForce3 250GB chipset, onboard 1Gbit network card from Nvidia)...

Anyone have any idea? It's not my firewall, as I've turn it on/off and it had no effect...

[NO]Magmatic

Fledgling Freddie
Well its nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem, looking through the vnboards there are a lot of people that have this problem, yet no real solution that worked for everyone... For a lot it got worse due to NF having in-zone porting too (as it only happens with in-zone porting, at least for me)...

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
The reason there isn't one solution for everyone is because its usually similar symptoms caused by different problems - just like 'flu and meningitis can't be cured byt the same medicine even though they both have the same effects ;)

You don't say what sort of memory you have, yet the problems you mention indicate a lack of memory or a driver problem - make sure your RAM is seated properly and is compatible with your motherboard (I presume with your computer setup you won't have less than a gig of good ram ;)). Also make sure all your drivers are updated - graphics, NIC, motherboard, sound etc etc. Also if you're using a KVM switch to switch between the two computers, try it without and see if that helps. Does this happen only in ToA zone, or only with the ToA client? Either way a reinstall of ToA wouldn't hurt. Also are these problems happening all the time, or can you play fine sometimes?

rvn

One of Freddy's beloved
i had the same with my dlink networkcard, i switched it to another and it worked, think it has something to do with the nic drivers etc.

[NO]Magmatic

Fledgling Freddie
Naetha said:
The reason there isn't one solution for everyone is because its usually similar symptoms caused by different problems - just like 'flu and meningitis can't be cured byt the same medicine even though they both have the same effects ;)

You don't say what sort of memory you have, yet the problems you mention indicate a lack of memory or a driver problem - make sure your RAM is seated properly and is compatible with your motherboard (I presume with your computer setup you won't have less than a gig of good ram ;)). Also make sure all your drivers are updated - graphics, NIC, motherboard, sound etc etc. Also if you're using a KVM switch to switch between the two computers, try it without and see if that helps. Does this happen only in ToA zone, or only with the ToA client? Either way a reinstall of ToA wouldn't hurt. Also are these problems happening all the time, or can you play fine sometimes?
I've got 1Gb of low-latency memory (was expensive stuff ;)), all drivers are updated, no KVM switch (how would that matter though, as it doesnt affect the computer), and yes it only happens in TOA zones, and only when porting 'in-zone' (e.g. when there's no loading screen, like with Djin's)...

I'm gonna try a different NIC tonight, see if that solves anything... It would suck if I had to use it though as there's an onboard one which is v.good...

Also saw that new catalyst drivers where released today for my ATI card, I'll give those a go as well...

Even though I'd be supprised if it was a gfx driver or memory problem, as I have no problems porting in any other way, nor do I experience LD problems while playing... Only when porting through Djinn's ...

Twist

Fledgling Freddie
Bizarrely there was a post on the VN boards ages ago about this that identified everyone with the problem was running the same netgear 10/100 network card using the XP default drivers

A lot of people found installing the manufacturers latest drivers solved their problem and i know i had the issue until I build my new machine as the MB has it onboard and I've not had a single crash since (tho I do have a more powerful CPU now ofc). Dunno if it's the problem but worth looking at :)

[NO]Magmatic

Fledgling Freddie
Installed a 3com network card, instead of the onboard card... And I havent had an LD since, I'm a happy man ! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom