5.1 sound on an xbox

Xepheus

Fledgling Freddie
Hi all, can someone tell me how to get 5.1 sound on my xbox?

I've sure I've seen advertised that the xbox supports 5.1, and that a bunch of games use the technology, but I don't see how to do that with the default connector (in fact I'm sure it's impossable).

Am I correct in thinking that the xbox is in fact 5.1? and if so, do I need to buy a special adaptor for it or something?

Thank you

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Advanced scart block by microsoft or a third party one will do.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
The Jolt Advanced Scart Pack is pretty good, I got that and the Creative 5500 5.1 System

Xepheus

Fledgling Freddie
cheers for the feedback guys, I'll have to look into it - anyone know which shops might sell these things?

Also, I've got the Philips A5.600 speaker system (which I only got yesterday, but so far is fantastic)... it connects to the soundcard/whatever via three 3.5mm phono jacks (the green, the black and the orange)... do these adaptors have the relevent ports on them for me to be able to plug these three into it?

(Sorry, i'm a bit new to this whole thing).

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
To have full 5.1 Sound on the Xbox and not prologic, make sure your 5.1 system has an optical connection.

Xepheus

Fledgling Freddie
alas, no, it does not... (what's prologic? is that not as good or something?)

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Its not as good as 5.1 it handles the channels of sound slightly differently, it gives u the impression of 5.1 instead of actually being 5.1, a lot of GC/PS2 games use it.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You wont be able to get dolby 5.1 on your pc speaker package.

Xepheus

Fledgling Freddie
Oh, well that kind of sucks then... maybe I'll just leave it as it is then (it's connected to the speakers via the two phono inputs at the back).. it's not 5.1 - but it still sounds better than via the TV :)

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Prologic is only 4 speakers (2 front, 2 rear), and the rear speakers are matrixed rather than being separate channels, so it's not as good as DD which has 6 separate audio channels. Still beats stereo though.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I thought prologic was 3 - 2 front and 1 rear, the rear channel usually output to 2 speakers though.

Xepheus

Fledgling Freddie
well, whichever prologic it is, it's sure bound to be better than sterio... but as you say, I need one of these adaptor things? I guess i'll need one for my gamecube as well then... (bah, this is starting to become expensive).

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
No, the gamecube adoptor for multichannel digital sound was never released. Why is beyond me, as it supports it.

CurryKnight

Fledgling Freddie
5.1 DD for games isnt that vital on xbox anyway, its good if you watch movies on it.

I have logitech Z680 which handles just about everything (Dolby digital, THX, pro logic 2) and sound awareness doesn't seem as important on an xbox game as it is on a PC game.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
CurryKnight said:
5.1 DD for games isnt that vital on xbox anyway, its good if you watch movies on it.

I have logitech Z680 which handles just about everything (Dolby digital, THX, pro logic 2) and sound awareness doesn't seem as important on an xbox game as it is on a PC game.

It enhances the gameplay no-end Halo games like Project Gotham or Halo just aren't the same without 5.1, hearing cars come up behind u so u don't have to keep changing the camera.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom