44smite 31 rejuv Cleric??

Calgacus

Fledgling Freddie
Ok I know nowt about clerics so go gentle on me :)

It seems to me that Dwarf healers do very well with their insta stun/mez etc. So I'm thinking of this spec for my cleric (Currently only in thid!):

44 Smite
31 Rejuv

This would get the best pbaoe insta mez and dmg and the second best aoe dmg. It would still have a group insta and a 50%hp rez as well as a spreadheal.

ok it's feck all enhance but there's lots of BBs and friars for that sort of thing. If base heals would be enough could even consider dropping rejuc for enh.

I know it wont be the best healer but I think it would be great in a good RvR group who knows how to use assist.

All feedback welcome because as I say I know nowt about clerics really :D

Doink-666

Fledgling Freddie
Smite would be a wase of time imho m8 :(

A) because its "pbaoe mezz"
b) as a smite cleric you'd be prone to smite'ing...would miss on healing people and some of the grps dmg out there i can be quite quick

I point out that its pbaoe mezz due to the fact that hib/mid grps run into full tilt ith insta aoe mezz everything.
Put it this way, I have played with sorcs ho have bolt range mezz "2000" and mid/hib grps were still able to insta mezz us before we got the cast of :(

Smite was nerfed heavily and nothing has been done to even it out since all that time ago i'm afraid. It has been made a pointless line to specc.

Though at the end of the day its what ya wanna play m8 :) This is just my opinion as a rejuve cleric and feel albion needs more sorcs and clerics. If ya wants to mezz roll a sorc :clap:

[Cinderella]

Fledgling Freddie
in my personal opinion i think a cleric without full ress in rvr is gimped. as enemies often goes for clerics you often have to ress the other cleric in group and if more are dead its good that the other cleric gets half manabar so he can continue ress imediatly and get full life. if mcl is down and you get a gimped ress you cant do anything at all when ressed. goes for ressing casters too. and the spreadheal must be good too as you use it 99% of the time.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Calgacus said:
It seems to me that Dwarf healers do very well with their insta stun/mez etc. So I'm thinking of this spec for my cleric (Currently only in thid!):

Healers are Midgard's primary CC class, so their CC is a whole lot more effective than clerics. There's no comparrison between PBAoE mezz and stun Vs mezz(+AoE), insta-mezz(+AoE), stun(+AoE), insta-stun(+AoE), amnesia(+AoE), demezz and root... Apparently healers are a hard class to play since ASD was nerfed :p

PBAoE mezz has it's uses, but it's not worth sacrificing the whole Rejuv line for. Killerbee is the longest playing smite cleric on the server. Should ask him if you need to know anything about the effectiveness of smite clerics in group rvr.

btw, sorcerers have longer range mezz, but bards can insta-amnesia them to interrupt. The average hib group has 3x purge, so even if you mezz first, it's no problem for them :p

Axuk

Fledgling Freddie
All the people so far have given you the perspective on a smite cleric based on the standard alb two cleric rvr set up and everything they say is perfectly correct.

However if and when you find an alb group willing to deviate from the cookie cutter group set ups you will find that having a smite cleric in a group that already has two other clerics in it works extremely well in a group that knows how to use a smiter.

With caster groups eg ranged damage more popular now there is something to be said for having a smite cleric as a damage/dealer, interupter, backup healer and emergency ccer – stun and mess can be a godsend particularly if used to stop a cleric from being interupted in healing. Smite does some nice damage and the rest of the utility works well particularly when it is used to keep the other two clerics free to heal. Smite/third cleric also as the element of surprise.. its a wild card in a game that expects oponents to be running certain set ups. With a sorc debuffing as well smite cleric can hurt.

If more groups were prepared to try the set up, the smite cleric could spec smite enhance which would mean that albion could take advantage of buff shearing which the other two realms have the luxury of using if they want and alb really does not because of the need for two rejuv clerics.

On a more practical note the main prolems you will come up against if you spec smite are:

The attitude of the rest of albion who will not wait to find out if you can heal or not but will give you a hard time about your spec... and believe me they will. I suspect that the majority of this comes from the fact that there are a lot of not so good players around and in the hands of one of those people a smite cleric is a liability in a group. By this I mean that a bad player does not adapt his play to suit circumstances and often will smite when they are the only cleric in a group and they need to be healing end of story. So the problem with smite clerics is more to do with the players than the class/spec.

Mana: Because your rejuv is not so high you will work harder to be a good healer than someone with higher rejuv spec. You will also be oom a lot more.

The above can be overcome with help pots artis etc.

You can overcome the attitude problem by proving you can play your smiter to suit the circumstances and then sticking to people that know your capabilities and have confidence in you. Of course there are always a few people that think they have the right to tell everyone else how they should play and you won't change that but there is always /ignore ;)

One thing I can't find a solution to is the guilt I feel when i do end up being cleric in a one or two cleric situation is the pants buffs. When I'm the sole cleric I feel really bad about the buffs, when there are two I can do bases. But with the huge increase in buff bots buffs are less and less of an issue.

The other is the 50% ress. I hate ghetto ressing people and I make sure that I do not offer my ress to healers and crucial casters if there is some one else to get them up fast at 100%. I stick to scraping up the less important classes where I can. If there are no full ressers left standing or when if its a toss up between ghetto ress and no ress then they have a choice to accept or lie on the floor ;)

If people I don't know invite me to group and I think my spec will be an issue (eg rvr mainly) I tell them what I am before I join the group, that way they know what they are getting so it lessens the potential for grief)

Smite cleric is not an easy choice but it is a fun one. Hope this helps a bit. At the end of the day, roll what you will enjoy playing.

And with NF just around the corner there will, I think, be far more opportunity for all classes and specs to rvr.

Killerbee

Fledgling Freddie
Axuk said:
With a sorc debuffing as well smite cleric can hurt.
Sorc can debuff fire, ice and matter - the spirit line belongs to the caba, but afaik spirit debuff won't effect your smite dmg (at least it didn't, some months ago :) ).

What I really find annoying in smite spec is the range. Single smite range is 1350 and you will meet the "Your target is too far away" msg several times after stun or with /assist nuking.

44s/31r is a nice spec (I have it for 8 months now) if you have a bb or always can get bb buffs. Otherwise it's kinda no-no. Tbh if I were you (and not a f'ckin stubborn bastard) I rather would choose 40r/35s. Ofc your smiter tools would be less effctive, but your healing abilities would help your grp better.

And as Axuk said: your primary aim to keep your grp alive (you can do it with dmg dealing as well in some cases), so rather "waste" mana on healing, then just smite. :)

Xyliana

One of Freddy's beloved
If your cleric is 50 mate then smite away!!! Lovely spec when your complete just alot of lonely nights if you are trying to level a smite cleric. I switched around a bit for my artifacts. 40 rejuv/36 enhance normally and 44 smite to level eoy

Calgacus

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for all the interesting points guys :) As I say I don't know much about a cleric as my mains are a 50 pala and merc. The main reason I was thinking about the smite route was for the insta CC. The smite dmg would be a bonus but I have a fire wiz in Thid that I'd rather lvl for a dmg dealing caster.

I think Axuk hit the nail on the head though about deviating from the cookie cutter groups. I kinda think that we go down to mids and hibs so much perhaps it's worth trying something new and a spec that has semi-decent healing, semi-decent dmg and semi-decent close range insta CC who isn't wearing cloth might be worth a look. And I have a very nice guild who will accept me even if I do play a gimped char hehe. Lets face it I have a 44 scout so it can't be any worse than that in a group :)

Thanks for the views guys

old.windforce

Part of the furniture
i love my 40 rejuv / 35 smite / 9 enh spec, great for PvE (team with a enhance cleric) and RvR (have plenty of buffbots)

i do decent heals (784 on spreadheal) and decent damage (200+ on Deep Vulcanus mobs)

in rvr it gives you a small change to get rid of grey con pets that otherwise make you look dumb and i once mezzed a whole zerg of rp horny brehon zerglings :p (ok back in the days when melee was fotm)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom