3D TV's and normal TV's.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Right then, so here I was, thinking, what's the difference between them both? and I came up with a solution - this may be completely wrong or correct, but what ever, Hear me out!

A Normal TV, does broadcast SOME HD programs, as they've been around for ages - IE Jaws what ever it was where the shark blows up and you see the body parts coming towards us, all you need is a pair of glasses? - correct? and this only works for certain programmes/channels?

A 3D TV, Does this convert the normal channels into 3D with some unique god-sent powers? and eliminate the process of sitting there with some silly glasses rested on your ears?

I have tried the old google trick of looking at the difference, but to be frank, the top 10 results we're pretty much, Here, You'll understand this.. If you've got a Doctorate degree in TV's.

So then - Can anyone explain for me?!

Ta.

soze

I am a FH squatter
The Samsung 3D tvs still need glasses, at least the one i looked at did. They were nice glasses though.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
The new nintendo 3ds or whatever it is called uses a different method. It has a polarised filter built into the screen which if your holding it right should allow your eyes to pick up different images without the need for glasses, not very practical for a TV though.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I played Bad Company with a fella who bought a 3d monitor, and he said it was amazing the game play and the realistic aspect of gaming with one, but he said after gaming for 2/3 hours, he started to get quite a bad headache, which he didn't with a normal monitor, he took the monitor to work, where a few of his colleagues also got headaches, I just hope the same problem doesn't arise from these new TV's

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Anyone else like me suckered into a decent LCD before these came out lol?

soze

I am a FH squatter
I got a new Samsung about 3 weeks ago and avoided a 3d one i don't think there is enough content to warrant the price yet.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
I got a new Samsung about 3 weeks ago and avoided a 3d one i don't think there is enough content to warrant the price yet.
I still think the same about HD tbh, only films are worth watching in HD, TV sucks for it.

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Hey Whoodoo, you're forgetting about documentaries like Planet Earth, or sports.
Eurosport have bike racing in HD and it's gorgeous, and everybody is desperate for Formula 1 to be broadcast in HD.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I still think the same about HD tbh, only films are worth watching in HD, TV sucks for it.

I agree the Full HD is wasted unless you are watching a Blu Ray as i don't think SKY HD broadcasts in 1080p

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
A HDready TV (720p) will do, but trust me when I tell you that a FullHD TV is great with SkyHD. My eldest girl will see something on TV and can tell if it's HD or not. What's better is that she will choose the HD channel in preference to the SD version of the same channel. This isn't something that I've tried to influence, she does this herself.

My experience of active shutter 3D systems is negative to say the least. I get splitting headaches within a few *minutes*, not hours. Since most 3D TVs are going down this road, I won't be jumping on the bandwagon any time soon. I hope more manufacturers follow the lead of LG and go with polarised lenses, or even autostereoscopic (no glasses required). I can cope with the Real3D system (polarised lenses) my local cinema uses for 3D films.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I saw avatar, and thought it was very nice, but tbh I can't help thinking that until some fundermental problems are solved (i.e wearing comedy glasses and producing more affordable screens), 3d is still a bit of a gimmick.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I still get headaches from 3D glasses and screens. If it stops being a gimmick and starts to take off, I am going to have to watch films in half hour intervals, otherwise I will be sick. Thinks it to do with my left eye being weaker than my right.

soze

I am a FH squatter
If it really takes off it will be worth buying a decent pair, when i got mine they offered prescription ones. I got a pair with a comfortable frame for about £15 off ebay and have worn them to about 5 films, they are much nicer to wear that the cardboard free ones.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I will wait for the next batch which wont require you to wear those stupid glasses.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I don't get it, they just use shutter glasses so surely any LCD around 100hz should do, just tried it today at pcworld, pretty good , but it won't take off cos the effect is just a gimic on the relatively small screen of even a 50 inch tv.

You're gonna need to project the images seperately onto each retina at around 4kx4k pixels before 3D is of any use to cap off fully immersive vision.

Even the latest Samsung 3d tv running perfectly adjusted withh shutter glasses
still has flickering and visual distortions that will just fuck up the enjoyment of the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom