3 new catacombs screens

Asty

Fledgling Freddie
Wonder how many actually play daoc anymore when it comes to EU servers.

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
Not sure ill be around with Catacombs, might try it if it looks really funky but I wanna start again, most games are more fun in the beginning. :S

Ancient Seagul

Fledgling Freddie
I agree. Playing DAOC was a lot more enjoyable in the early days. I guess in the post-Beta days, it was like - wow ! A MMORPG ! and wow ! look at all this neat stuff and cool monsters ! Being a newbie, getting to your first level 50, doing some stuff in RVR - was all great fun...but how many times can you do this before is all gets repetitious ?

How many of us REALLY can be arsed to go through levels 20-45 of PVE in the same old zones with the same old monsters, but knowing that cos the game has been expanded so much now, that your once loved PVE zones are now underpopulated. Example - in Lyon you could get a 45+ trees group very easily - all you needed was a Thurg. Now - you could wait like 9 hours before you would be able to get a FG to do trees / worms

Don't get me wrong - I still play - and yes PVE can get dull and I am enjoying RVR less these days - but if you can chat to nice people, any situation can be great fun and a laugh. It's the people now that inspire me still to play - not the game content.

I'm sure I'll continue to buy all the expansions if I'm being honest. I still haven't found another MMORPG that has come close to DAOC and I'll be playing (on and off) for the foreseeable future.

Cheers

:cheers:

Brunore

Fledgling Freddie
Same here, Ill be playing on and off until something better comes along or they turn the servers off.

Dakkath

Can't get enough of FH
I'm guessing a lot of us will still be here, myself included...

Why?

Because we've all put sooo much time into DAoC now that no-one cba to quit...

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
that and it's still better than a lot of the competition...

despite all the whines DAoC is a good game :)

Das_Hibbie

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm of course there will be a lot of people playing. Probably more than there is now. If 1 leaves, 10 will come due to the gfx update and new classes. Perhaps some think they don't want to start daoc due to already being too far behind, but that's where the new classes will lure even more people to joni in. Many who don't choose daoc as their mmorpg say that it looks outdate. Well once Catacombs arrives it won't anymore. I really do think that this expansion will get more people to play really.

firegird

Fledgling Freddie
Gifv Catacombs to pve addicts and greedy for loot bastards like me :)
Ok NF might be good as well but i am a sucker for good gfx,big mobs and trying out new classes :cheers:
I think i would have been extemely bored with the game without TOA (ok nerf malice xp ofc) and i am sure i will enjoy Catacombs as well

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Alot depends on NF. If it's recieved well in EU, alot of people will still be playing next year. Just hope GOA slap their publishers and start marketing the game in the UK, something which should've been done 3 years ago :p

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
I like a lot of people under estimate just how loved DAOC is in the EU. Lots of people say they're going to quit and come back within weeks as there really is nothing else that touches it. There is actually a good community here too, some very strong guilds and nice people to play with. I doubt any game currently planned with dent it's popularity in the next 2-3 years. Eventually yes, but not yet.

P.S. I've "quit" over and over and keep coming back :-P

Ancient Seagul

Fledgling Freddie
What concerns me is that unless we can continue to attract large numbers of new players onto the servers, I can't see how the game will last another two or three more expansions (at most) before the servers are pulled.

Every expansion massively increases the DAOC universe. More zones, more monsters, more characters classes, more races, more uber-levels, etc etc

Every expansion will require you to have already bought, installed, and registered all previous versions (Classic, SI, ToA so far).

When the next one comes out, everyone rushes en masse to the new zones, the existing PVE areas empty, then when you've done everything you can in the new expansion, people will start moaning again about still not being powerful enough.

I feel sorry for the Day 1 newbie who has been under the impression that this massive world is populated with a huge variety of colourful, friendly characters on hand to help. Really ? Our newbie will roll up his character, pop next to his or her trainer in Camporcorentin Forest, and (like all of us at first) not know what to do next, but critically, not be able to find anyone to level with or chat to, due to everyone being scattered over a wider gaming (zone) area.

If you're a DAOC old-timer like me, you'll want to try a new character (whether at level 1 or 20) in the new area cos the old ones are too familiar.

When I first started, I got a group within 2 minutes ! There were loads of people about. I remember wandering about on the paths in Avalon Marsh at 3am with 2FG of level 1-10 newbies killing ghostly knights. Had a right laugh ! Played all night !

What I like doing is to start a lowbie, and with the benefit of my DAOC experience, form a group of 7 newbies and let em have fun - just like we used to (and still do - but never in the way it used to be the first time !)

I think we can all do a little bit to keep the game fresh and enjoyable. OK, when it comes down to getting new players on line, GOA's marketing team need to go to work. But we can help by keeping the old post-beta spirit alive, and help and support newbies; to not make them feel they've entered into a ghost town. I'd love to see a bunch of newbies experience what it's like to hit 50 at trees / worms ! Or to watch em get minced in RVR for the first time LOL !

Whatever - if GOA have done their job and new players continue to get on line, it doesn't take a huge amount of effort to make em feel at home and hopefully they'll want to stick around for a bit like some of us here.

Apologies if this sounds gay, but I think most long term players get the jist of what I'm trying to say.

:cheers:

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Had a good time recently starting up again. There are three of us who can coordinate our playing times. So we made three characters that'd work well together (Friar / Armsman / Paladin), and went out there. As we can also be the core of a good group, we've added many casual others to that group. It's getting easier now we're past 25, but even before 20, we grouped with many others (More than my pre-SI Paladin was able to, by a long way).

Darzil

Das_Hibbie

Fledgling Freddie
I can't speak for sub 20s, but I must say that when I rerolled (without good gear and without friends to help) I was very surprised to see many places are still very popular nowadays. At 20-24ish I always had a group in Keltoi. I then went to Salisbury Plains where I also mostly had a group at the frogs. After that I went into the barrows in groups which is still very populated by sub 50s. After that I soloed some in SI and that was the only time I left classic world. At 38 or so I started going to Lyonesse and found some groups to join. There aren't 3 groups pulling at once as there was in the old days at gobo house, but it's not really hard getting people to join you ;)

Anyhoo, I hope Catacombs will be more like SI tbh :) SI was a great expansion that lasted (and in a degree still lasts) a long long time until the uberness of Atris were implemented. A SI weapon wasn't required to do good in RvR, but it sure added some pice to your attacks :)

legaoniel

One of Freddy's beloved
eek

omg - just realised - that first screen shot is from inside the barrows...

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Das_Hibbie said:
Hmm of course there will be a lot of people playing. Probably more than there is now. If 1 leaves, 10 will come due to the gfx update and new classes. Perhaps some think they don't want to start daoc due to already being too far behind.

Pfft...mebbe the case in mainland europe but teh english servers are getting a low influx of new people because nobody a) knows about it or b) can buy it anywhere!!!!111

And, yes, I am STILL griping about this!! :eek:

Revz

Fledgling Freddie
Gamah said:
Same was said about TOA

The difference here is that WoW and EQ2 will both be out by the time Catacombs hits the EU. I presume Mythic are going to release Catacombs in the US to coincide with those games coming out in order to retain some of their players but that won't work here because we get it too late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom