2nd PC

O

old.Spanjab

Hi,

I am wanting to install DAoC on a PC at work so I can play a bit during lunch. What do I need to do to play my existing characters? Is it as simple as installing with the same serial number and password and joining the server? I don't want to risk losing my characters tho!

Cheers!

B

Brannor McThife

Yes. The only thing that is stored locally about your characters is your config. i.e. Your quickbars and layout (and quick logins). These are a bunch of .ini files in your main directory.

Other than that, you can play anywhere.

What I suggest, is burning your Camelot directory to a CD, then simply copy that CD to any machine you wish to play on and hey presto..it has your quick logins, quickbars, and serial # all ready there.

-G

O

old.Spanjab

Cheers fella, I'll do that over the weekend!

P

- Pathfinder -

Gawd, I hate people who's work doesn't block most ports :(

O

old.Spanjab

My internal PC connects via Japan and is blocked but luckily I needed a 2nd PC with ISDN for artwork transfers and EDI usage, happy me :)

A

Aileanara

Lucky Bugger

I tried many times to play from work, but cant because IP is blocked on network. wondering If I need to bribe the IT gezzer :)
but I doubt he would.

1 hour lunch just browsin forums while I could be shottin critters.

O

old.Tohtori

Just it's one helluva hazzle to play on two comps, you have to shift the ini files around and around all the time. Trust me, been there, hate that. :rolleyes:

But if you don't mind a copy/paste hell with the .ini files then go ahead, have a blast :p

S

SevenSins

Got a DSL line on my work, made it so nice that they put an <untroughgettable> linux machine between the line and our network, but accidently left the root passwords lying next to it..

While we unblocked some webbies and some outgoing ports we also did the Root DNS Crap, and now I too can go to http://atlantic.ocean

<grin>

O

old.Spanjab

Not working! I get this error:

Game has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL
Game will now close.

Any ideas?

Spanjab

F

Fafnir

KERNEL32.DLL is that not a windows .dll grafix driver, try downloading it. Worked for me last time i had that problem, when playin an old rpg on my comp...

F

Fafnir

I used Altavista and searched for the kernel32.dll, i also found it on microsoft.com page...

M

Myshra

kernal32.dll is the thing that runs windows (very basic description)

dont piss about with it for your own use :) whats your pc config? you running NT? cause im not sure you can play daoc on NT can you?

a dynamic link library (dll) baically tells the processor how to interpret instructions sent to it, and how to compute them (again very basic description) the kernal is what windows uses to run basically i thought, although i know windows basically relies on it completely, as you can see, buy ctrl alt del and closing it, youll bugger windows :)

O

old.Spanjab

I know it's the file that windows uses to decide which memory to allocate to programs.

It's Windows ME I am running.

I think I'll try installing DAOC from scratch then copying my backup over it tomorrow.

L

listepik

only time its a hazzle to play on 2 puters, is when you level, and get new stuff :)

O

old.Tohtori

As i said, one helluva hazzle if you start handling the account from two pc's. For once i was right! :clap:

F

Flimgoblin

Heh kernel32.dll..

you could download it off the internet... to some very interesting results :)

especially if you got it from m1crosoft.com or something (note the subtle difference)

Edit: I've no idea if that site exists... it's an example spoof url.
But downloading a new kernel for your operating system off the web when you don't know what yer doing and who you're getting it from is a very very bad idea.

R

Roo Stercogburn

Hehe,

check to see if your work PC is routed through a proxy server. If it is, find out the IP address of the gateway on your network and change the default gateway on your PC to be this address thus bypassing the proxy server. You can still have web browsing working through the proxy but DAoC doesn't need any DNS help since it goes straight to the IP address of your chosen server.

Of course, if the techies catch you, you got probs if you make a mess of it.

Works for me ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom