2nd biggest MMORPG

O

offalthwaite

Well Star Wars Galaxies has finished its first month and is already the second largest Massively Multiplayer Game in the United States (behind EverQuest).

Discuss.

J

Jonaldo

Well Star Wars Galaxies has finished its first month and is already the second largest Massively Multiplayer Game in the United States (behind EverQuest).

First month is free.

Job done.

S

Sard-Nair

:eek: @ Everquest, where abouts is DAOC in the legue of MMORPG's ?

P

pitspawn

SWG has about as much hype over it as Terminator2 did. They released it too early, and put too much attention into detail rather than functionality and gameplay. The role playing has been taken a step too far, its borderline playing sims online. IMO if a game becomes too much like life then its no longer a game. Most people play a game to get away from life, and to have fun. The combat system is about the worst ive ever seen from a game. Infact, a friend of mine who still actively plays the game tells me he has left his character to level by itself for several hours. He went away to the pub for a few hours, come back and he had gained several thousand points in weaponskills. Sad, i sold my copy after the first week of playing it.

This picture sums up SWG...

http://www.gucomics.com/comics/gu_20030630.jpg

(Damn, you will have to copy and paste the address the site doesnt allow direct linking)

:bore:

SWG is going to have a LOT of people leaving after their first month. The game needs a overhaul to interest the masses.

B

Belsameth

275,000 Registered Players For SWG!
Two months after launch, LucasArts has announced that Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided now ranks as the second largest MMOG in the U.S.

B

Belsameth

the only thing you can really do unantended nowadays is dancing/music. the rest can't be anymore. or not 100% at least.

P

pitspawn

Just something else i want to add to my earlier comment...

My views is my view, if others actually enjoy all the heavy RP element SWG offers good for them. Dont let my negativity about the game affect you.

Im more of a combat, goal orientated person than a role player. I enjoy the social interaction guilds/clans can offer and enjoy good communication and teamwork to achieve a common goal.

I would have no problem recommending SWG to heavy role players. But if you are like myself, and enjoy a more intense combat experience its probably not the game for you.

O

old.LandShark

It's only in its second month. Plus, it's Star Wars. Major major franchise > the need for an actually solid game.

K

katt!

E

Ekydus

Yup. We just have to wait for the DAoC film series to come out. :)

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by Ekydus
Yup. We just have to wait for the DAoC film series to come out. :)
Darkness Falls came out already :p

Shame it was rubbish, and nothing to do with DAoC.

K

klavrynd

at least in swg you can be a dancing hairdresser that makes cake

T

The Kingpin

SW:G, <shudders> after playing it for two weeks, all i can say is...

George Lucas ows me 2 weeks of my life, and i want them back!

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

SW:G beats DAoC hands down... it's like comparing CS with Planetside.

At least you can leave a lasting impression on your gameworld which is huge to say the least.

And gods... the DAoC OT has gone to shit. :eek:
... it all started when the Fonz left.

S

SilverHood

swg is pretty shit.... but a lot better than daoc

still shit tho :)

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by Uncle Sick(tm)
SW:G beats DAoC hands down... it's like comparing CS with Planetside.

At least you can leave a lasting impression on your gameworld which is huge to say the least.

And gods... the DAoC OT has gone to shit. :eek:
... it all started when the Fonz left.
Lies.

It started when I began posting here :p

C

crazy-joedivola

SWG seems to have made a big splash but is plagued with bugs. I agree with earlier post I want an MMO that is true fantasy harken back to D&D less "real life" my real life sucks no need to live it online too. I am thinkin' UXO has something to offer.

B

Belsameth

it does have it's bugs, but they can't outweight the utter joy of buying a new ballgown or armour, one that doesn't look like the armour I've been wearing for ages already!

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

And the graphics rock - crafting? Utter fun and rewarding.

Div Landooni on Kettemoor by the way - say "hi" if you see a chubby Rhodian. ;)

O

old.Tohtori

Yo yo Ma Maindoug Unca Sick in da house! Where ya been? You popo :p You be like 5-0 and then like fozizzle when they go for the 711 and all. :D

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

I have been here mainly... and on Naboo. ;)

DAoC is dead and buried - partially due to its moronic community (with a few exceptions).

B

Belsameth

Ugh! too much water on Naboo, tho I like the Cantina's there :)
I mostly spend my days in the Tyrena Cantina, on Corellia.
that or shooting the various wildlife in the area :)

If you ever make an alt on Shadowfire, give Drendari a fluffle :)

J

Jonaldo

[BDAoC is dead and buried - partially due to its moronic community (with a few exceptions). [/B]
That some kinda hint? buttmunch! :eek:

:p

S

SFXman

DAoC is dead and buried - partially due to its moronic community (with a few exceptions).
Well thanks buddy.
Then again I wonder what sort of folk are skipping round in SWG, or have the kids left the premises already?

B

Belsameth

Originally posted by SFXman
Well thanks buddy.
Then again I wonder what sort of folk are skipping round in SWG, or have the kids left the premises already?

the maturity level, in comparison to DAoC, is surprisingly high (at least on the server where I play) possibly because it isn't all about getting high numbers for as much stats as possible...

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by Belsameth
the maturity level, in comparison to DAoC, is surprisingly high (at least on the server where I play) possibly because it isn't all about getting high numbers for as much stats as possible...

that or they found out [Belsameth "the virgin hunter" Soulcatcher] was playing there and ran off in terror :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom