2h/dw

Carneus

Fledgling Freddie
If I'm playing a 2H/DW character which styles should I be using?

For instance, if I had a merc with 50 DW and 50 Crush should I be using the DW or crush styles? Is there a difference?

Obviously some styles will be used in certain situations, but overall which should I be using?

Carneus

Fledgling Freddie
Was this a dumbass question or does no-one know?

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
It's not a stupid question. Just hard to explain.

First of all, mainly use styles from the line you have the highest skill in. If you are a light tank, you most likely have 50+11+RR in both the base weapon and off-hand line, so that's a non-issue (not so for assassins though).

For how styles works, a somewhat old description can be found here:

http://daoc.nisrv.com/modules.php?name=Weapon_Style_Faq

I suggest you read that, find the table of style growth rates... then figure out which styles suits your character the best. :)

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
A simple test would be to use the styles on grey con mobs to find out which has the highest damage in each situration, if the style cannot be used on mobs (due to reactionaries) ask a player to help by taking of all their armour and resistance bonuses.

What you want to look for is your highest damage Anytime chain

Highest damage and easiest to pull of reactionary chain (preferably with bleed or stun in there somewhere).

And lastly highest damage 'positional' chain, again with a nice effect like stun or bleed or snare.

Those are the 3 common chains you'll want so find out which sets have the best for each.

If you like on the main Mythic camelotherald site theres a full list of styles there for each class.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
ur lvl 50 positional front style is good tho in rvr its often hard 2 b infront of a target 2 get off ur style, if u parry use ur parry chain that leads 2 a stun and use ur sidestyle that reduces there attack speed - all in duel wield

if ur crush us ur stun chain in crush line, u have 2 i believe, but this can be useful.

also use ur behind style in crush line which has a bleed effect i think and has nice damage, or maybe it has a reduce attack speed effect, eithar way its good for when they run :)

thats the styles i can think off :)

reason 2 use parry chain that stuns - u should parry more than u evade since u only get evade 1 as a merc :).

thats my advice, ofc do what works best for u - i preffered unclattered quickbars with just the raw styles i will use - anytime chain, reactionary chain and back positional. the side positional as merc is strong tho :D (tho that may only b in thrust line)

Shanaia

Fledgling Freddie
Darksword said:
the side positional as merc is strong tho :D (tho that may only b in thrust line)

Afaik side chain for merc has biggest growthrate you can get.

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Valewalker has the highest growth rate style followed by zerker lv50 LA style, you will want to use positionals as much as possible since that's where your damage is at, just use an anytime style to back them up vs targets who strafe a lot so then a style will land.

xanir

Fledgling Freddie
afaik, the most damaging style in the game is the 4th in scythe evade chain, conflagration at 1.44. The second is ripper, the critical strike 4th in evade chain, at 1.40. For comparison, shadow's rain, the second in dual wield side positional chain is 1.05.

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
Ripper is bugged, and doesn't actually work. :)
I know it's listed as high growth rate, but it's mentioned in recent TL reports.

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Hmmm i forgot h2h they go upto 1.45 growth rates, growth rates do not mean much though if the user of them doesn't hit caps often.

Elitestoner

Can't get enough of FH
Sycho said:
Hmmm i forgot h2h they go upto 1.45 growth rates, growth rates do not mean much though if the user of them doesn't hit caps often.

well saying u are acrush merc, the styles u should be using are:

bludgeon - contusions - for the anytime crush 6s stun

duel shadows - front style

flank/shadows rain - side chain

as for a back chain, there is shadows edge/penumbra but afaik these are lowgrowths, i wouldnt use a back chain tbh ;p

if u were 2 handed, there is the bone bruiser chain (or just spam rile if u are lazy :D) fury/recenter for off parry, and the onslaught chain for side, and the doubler chain for rear (doubler chain doing more damage)

think thats it, doing that from memory and half drunk so tell me if thats wrong :p

Crookshanks

Fledgling Freddie
Carneus said:
If I'm playing a 2H/DW character which styles should I be using?

Note if you are using 2h - you don't get a choice in using the 2h styles or slash/crush/thrust styles - using the latter will result in a "you are not wielding the correct weapon type for this style" message - even though you need to spec in the base weapon type to reduce damage variance.

The other point to take note on with the styles is the endurance burn rates - particularly if you are out without endurance regeneration. For example, the 2h parry chain fury->recenter both use very little endurance - you can almost maintain them indefinately providing you can parry enough.

Gotrag

Fledgling Freddie
Crookshanks said:
Note if you are using 2h - you don't get a choice in using the 2h styles or slash/crush/thrust styles

he said 2h/DW so im assuming by 2h he meant two weapons not two handed

Carneus

Fledgling Freddie
Gotrag said:
he said 2h/DW so im assuming by 2h he meant two weapons not two handed

No, I did mean 2H and DW, I didn't realise that 2H weapons can only be used for 2H styles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom