Science 23andMe - DNA Testing

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Get your DNA tested!
https://www.23andme.com/

And all for just £99!*

Gain insight into your traits, from baldness to muscle performance. Discover risk factors for 97 diseases. Know your predicted response to drugs, from blood thinners to coffee. And uncover your ancestral origins

Would any of you do this?
Would you want to know your chances of being susceptible to some illness or disease?

Not sure I would as you may end up worrying about something that may happen (or possibly never will) to you that you have no control over.
On the other hand it could diagnose something very early that you could overcome!

I suppose if it said you have a 46% chance of lung cancer then you may then stop smoking so you don't increase that %!

Also Google is an investor! Scary stuff!

*Requires a 1-year commitment to the Personal Genome Service at $9/mo.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
No.

Get "monthly DNA discoveries" = pay us money every month and if science ever discovers something and lets us use it we might rescan your results and tell you and it'll be even more bad news.

Reno

One of Freddy's beloved
Nice scam.
Result reliability is probably close to 0.

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned
As above, do you know how much DNA and Blood testing actually costs? £100 would buy you a letter off the internet or a cheap STD / Blood Panel test.

Chilly

Balls of steel
I'd do it - but I'd have someone else read the report to me, getting rid of the nasty things. As has been said, the reliability is probably low and it's no way to live your life.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I looked at this a couple of years ago when it first came out (I'm actually not particularly interested in the medical stuff but I find the geneaology stuff fascinating), but despite quite a few positive reviews, I couldn't justify 500 quid to satisfy mild curiosity. 99.....might sway me.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
So lets say they discover you bear a gene that will cause your offspring to get some bad disease or disorder etc, would that be fun to hear and would that keep your from spawning kids?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom