2010 UK General Election Predictions

rynnor

Rockhound
A new low in campaigning - odd that the Beeb have no mention of it yet?

Chilly

Balls of steel
Reading that telegraph article makes you feel so very, very small and voiceless.

In four years time, you have to pay £60 a week in tax before you even start contributing to public services, as the first 60 quid is fucking interest and maintenance on gilts :/

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Now I'm as anti labour as they come, but you have to admit that the Telegraph headline is very cleverly written. For those who haven't read the article it seems that they have targeted cancer patients with the leaflets. In fact they did use personal data, as all mailshots from all parties use when leafleting. If you do a cancer related mailshot to anyone, some you are going to hit will have been affected by cancer. Anyone here not affected by cancer in some way? If there are you're in a very small minority.

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
I did think that too, but after reading some more about it it's still sick what they've done, first this card only went out to women as it was about Breast Cancer and secondly as it seems they did this -

", it was done by using anonymous data mashup from Experian to work out roughly where someone with cancer lives. They hold anonymous hospital data with postcodes and medical diagnosis. Think of it like a shotgun being targeted at a door but the pellets spread out and hit many targets in a specific area."

But there's also the incident of one woman with breast cancer receiving the card yet none of her neighbours did... I don't know or care really, the whole ethics behind it make me so angry. People in such situations should not have to put up with the stress of getting leaflets basically saying if you don't vote for us you'll die, it's inhuman,

Gumbo

FH is my second home
I don't like it any more than you do, but to think that Labour have done anything that any other party wouldn't do with this leaflet, is naive in the extreme. There's not a lot of point in targeting a leaflet about urban decay to an agricultural area. Or about road building schemes to voters in the Hebrides.

They probably would have been better advised to leave the whole cancer thing alone, it's very emotive and touches nerves too easily, but please open your eyes. This isn't a Labour thing, it's a modern politics thing.

For the record, my Dad died of Leukaemia, my Mum is a cervical cancer survivor, my other halves sister narrowly survived breast cancer, and the thought of receiving this leaflet doesn't phase me a bit.

I'm a Tory voter too by the way.

rynnor

Rockhound
They hold anonymous hospital data with postcodes and medical diagnosis.

Yeah - that seems wrong in itself - postcodes narrows it down too far - combined with other databases this breaks patient confidentiality.

Athan

Resident Freddy
Some handy data if you're planning on staying up until at least your own constituency declares:

Constituency Declaration times 2010

Source: Election 2010: what's my constituency declaration time?

I'll likely stay up to see what happens overall, as no doubt things will be decided by 05:00 or so at the latest unless we get a nail-bitingly close race. My own constituency isn't set to declare before 12:00 (mid-day judging by the use of 24h times and at least one has '00:01').

JingleBells

FH is my second home
Some handy data if you're planning on staying up until at least your own constituency declares:

Constituency Declaration times 2010

Source: Election 2010: what's my constituency declaration time?

I'll likely stay up to see what happens overall, as no doubt things will be decided by 05:00 or so at the latest unless we get a nail-bitingly close race. My own constituency isn't set to declare before 12:00 (mid-day judging by the use of 24h times and at least one has '00:01').

I imagine those 3 Sunderland constituencies will have a race again, IIRC they get bank tellers in to count as they can count bundles of votes just like they count bundles of money :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
In four years time, you have to pay £60 a week in tax before you even start contributing to public services, as the first 60 quid is fucking interest and maintenance on gilts :/

At least the muslims have it right. It's against their religion to lend money at interest.

You have to ask yourself why this is. And maybe you will find that the only time Jesus gets violent in the bible is towards the money lenders.

If you've any sort of education you'll have memorised Thomas Jefferson's famous quote about banks and letting them control systems of credit.

Strangely though, nobody gives a fuck. At least the Bank of England should be pleased, as it's the Bank of England charging the public this 60 quid a week for the money it's lent us. :)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
At least the muslims have it right. It's against their religion to lend money at interest.

Genuine question - if there were no direct profit in it, why would anyone lend money?

Athan

Resident Freddy
Some altruism... and possibly some realisation that lending money particularly for new businesses, improves society for everyone, including the lender. That sounds better than just sitting on a big pile of cash, doesn't it ?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Some altruism... and possibly some realisation that lending money particularly for new businesses, improves society for everyone, including the lender. That sounds better than just sitting on a big pile of cash, doesn't it ?
Sure, but utterly unrealistic. Risk vs reward, if you're lending with no profit then it's all risk and 0 reward other than a warm fuzzy feeling and cats are much cheaper.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
/offensively pious ON (apologies in advance)

Genuine question - if there were no direct profit in it, why would anyone lend money?

Nath. If you're really interested in understanding that, I can't tell you.

Everyone in Britain has been brought up educated to think a certain way. Some people (not me) would call it "mind control". I just call it partial education. You don't get educated on alternatives because enough people would like the alternatives and it becomes awkward politically.

It's the reason why anyone who argues from an anti-capitalist standpoint immediately gets called communist - because the people they're arguing with haven't been educated in possible alternatives (and that's not their fault). We've seen it on this board. Anti-capitalist = communist. Against central banking as an ideological concept = conspiracy theorist. etc. etc.

Let me ask this - is a permanent growth economy, based on finite resources, even possible?

IMHO, obviously not. But it's not stopping us from pursuing it. How weird is a no-interest bank concept in that context?

Interest and inflation. Tools that are used to steal wealth. Britain had "the stick" for a few hundred years - and it worked fine. Despite the fact that you could pull them off trees - in fact, money DID grow on 'em :)

Chilly

Balls of steel
micro loans in africa and india are jump starting local economies. lending a farmer 500 quid so he cna invest in some new tools and chemicals means he can double his income and genuinely increase his own and local wealth. the fee for the loan is well worth it in his eyes the lender makes some money, of course, but it's a win win.

rynnor

Rockhound
Sure, but utterly unrealistic. Risk vs reward, if you're lending with no profit then it's all risk and 0 reward other than a warm fuzzy feeling and cats are much cheaper.

It has worked in the past but it leads to verrrry slow growth due to lack of credit.

Thats not neccesarily a bad thing but would lead to a transformation of the economy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom