2 handed weapons for Paladins

O

old.stroller

My fearless young highlander Cameron wanted to use his family double handed sword but consulting various oracles it seems he may be better off with uncle festers sword and shield combination as he can hit the ungodly more often with not much less effect. Cameron isn't a guild member and spends a lot of time on his own :( so survival is pretty important (at least to him!)

Any Paladins out there using double handed weapons. All opinions welcome.

PS. I'm really playing this game too much!

S

SFXman

Depends what level you may be, if you are still under 15 or so then 2h weapons (and polearms) are not the way to go. They only get really good sometime after L15.

O

old.dwyte

train in both sword and 2 handed, but kinda stick with shield untill 15 or i think 16 you get parry. with parry you have a defence when using 2 handed weapons.

incase you didnt already know:-

higher 2 handed skill = highest max damage (with 2 handed weapon)
higher slash / crush skill = lowest damage (with 2 handed weapon)

so with both the one handed and 2 handed skills being trained you can narrow your damage range down, making you hit harder more.

but even if you choose to train in 2 handed specificly, train shield to at least 7 for engage (handy as hell in rvr)

just my personal opinion, but i prefer the 2 handed weapons later, i would rather hit an enemy twice and kill him taking some damage myself, than fight for a lil while longer taking less damage :)

but either way you do it you cant really go wrong, unless you change your mind at lvl 30 and decide to go crush instead...

L

Lanceloc

Its all down to how much you want to be uber or the ultimate paladin.

In patch 1.48, paladins will get more hitpoints and parry twice as much with 2handed weapons.

At the moment (1.45) 2handed parry is bugged and parrying half as much as it should.

I play a 2handed paladin and at level 41 I can tell you that we do half the damage as an armsman with a 2handed weapon, we have the hitpoints of a cleric and are generally completely useless in RvR except for using the engage ability to block archer attacks.

Engage is a shield skill though.

If you want to an uber 2handed melee class, re-roll an armsman and go for a thrust or crush polearm weapon. If you want to roleplay a paladin then either 2handed or 1handed are as good as each other.

O

old.Okies Kayy

Lvl 46 now and still go back to the old sword and shield 2hand parry being bugged makes it alot harder, fair enough i can do some good damage but but the amount of damage i substain maes 1hand still the way to go solo.

O

old.stroller

Thanks very much. I guess by the time I get to level 30 the 2H skill will be repaired. For now (I'm only level 9 at the mo) i'll just up my shield skill to get engage then try 2H out at 15 or so.

Thanks again.

O

old.Pinvan Pointles

many times i have heard ppl say that 2handed paladins are gimped, and paladins should go sword+board, in my experiance being 2handed is great, i can kill most yellows solo and survive with around half to 3/4 hp left, with a little twisting.
many times have i watch okies outdamage me insanely with his nasty raven clan, but damage is not a paladins strongpoint(with piety being our main stat which we have no use for when str would be a wiser choice lol)

if your lookin for an rvr paladin(lol) 2handed is the way to go with 7 in shield for engage, for good defences sword and board, but there is no real difference in PvE from what i can tell(except for 2h parry being broken) :)

-Pin

O

old.Mitsu

And 2-handed sword looks sooo cool :D
Image a paladin in black plate with a huge red flaming sword... even telamons would flee :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom