2-handed pally?

Sajspurs

Fledgling Freddie
Need advice with the intro of NF I have the chance to do a full respec of my pally. I am seriously contemplating turning him into a 2-h pally.

I understand that I will never deal as much damage as a armsman or merc but I will do more damage than a simple 1h with shield, but this rules out being a block bot but there are loads of those out there at the mo.

Need to know the pro's and cons a bit better from people that know, please help me to make the choice.

Zede

Part of the furniture
you will be about as useful as a matter sorc, or a rejuv friar.

stick with the sword & shield m8

Misleath

Fledgling Freddie
There are no pros with 2handed and 1handed + shield offers you alot

Case

Fledgling Freddie
aye bodyguard would work...but makes it kinda pointless being 2 handed as you`d be bodyguarding

just stay sword and shield every pally i know who respecced to 2 handed respecced back very quickly

DavidH

Part of the furniture
2handed is simply a no-no in our realm. Shame :\

Usura

Fledgling Freddie
if you are interested in 2h just try it... :) respecs arent that expensive.

i got both, s/s paladin and 2h paladin - i love my 2 pally. nice pve char, really nice pvp char.

people say 2h pally is gimped. but people also said the world is a disc some years ago :p

Sabu

Fledgling Freddie
Maybe the 2h pally does a decent damage but that is not the point unless you plan to solo in RvR.
If an alb group wants a damage dealer tank will no get a 2h pally, will get a merc prolly, groups need pallys for a defensive role imo. So stay with shield spec, slam all around and bg all around.

Argante

Loyal Freddie
Ive got a s/s pally atm and Ive tried all kind of specs in the past so let me tell you what I think of s/s and 2h pallies.

RvR
In rvr group, usually a s/s pally has guard role and while 2h pally would have caster killer role. But you can ask "caster killer? mercs r caster killers!" But mercs dont have chants that help group and pallies never run out of end, besides if an enemy tank goes for one of your casters Pally can guard him (with bg its amazing), Mercs r shit guarding casters they r light tanks. At the end caster attacked is dead.

What 2h pally has to offer more then mercs? merc really do more dmg but end goes off quickly, pallies do less dmg but end never ends, their chants helps group, they interrupt/kill casters like mercs do just takes longer. Anyway u wont be able to guard your own casters so 2h its out of question for rvr group.

The prob is peeps r gimps and rvr groups fotm r made of casters casters and casters with 2x clerics and sometimes 1x merc.
Usually at the end of a fight you will see merc yelling thats out of end and need a rest, if another enemy group comes merc will be useless unless he has many end pots, not to mention if an enemy tank goes right to him. he's dead.

The thing is s/s pally is as good as merc, besides he's a caster guard and has group chants.

PvE
Pally its the best aggro older in all 3 realms so go s/s
In time you will kill same mobs with s/s as 2h and get to the end of the fight with more HP left.

Atm rvring grouped with 2h pally its some how impossible, just forget it go s/s

Domerc

Fledgling Freddie
Merc will kill a target in a fraction of the time it takes for both s/s and 2-hander to kill. Which in turn means no guard needed.
However a merc depends on a paladin (or pots) for end, whereas a paladin can keep styling for as long as he lives.
And that part about merc being OOE and useless is a bit daft because mercs can still do lots of damage with no styles ( and casters can aslo run out of power leaving them 'useless').

Pally is as good as a merc?
They are two ends of the spectrum, where alb tanks are concerned.
Merc- highly offensive.
Pally- highly defensive. (s/s spec)

Paladins are the only ones that can provide end regen. Even if there are no melee people in your group, end is useful for that extra bit of sprint speed.

Imo you should draw up the pro's and cons of s/s and 2-hander... listen to the advice of those that have played both. PM people in-game that you see with those two specs.
In the end, try one out. See what you, personally like.

Lakashnik

Fledgling Freddie
but 2h just LOOKS so much kooler. im respeccing 2h wit laka :) he was 2h up untill lvl 46 then was forced to respec to do anything grpwise in pve. s/s is kool but i will always love my 2h. dont care if im gimped.. i dont use him much anymore, esp not for rvr. not untill get a pc that can handle it better anyway.

He he sajs. still remember when u decided to jump the templar in barrows wit our lvl 30 grp :D that was fun.

DavidH

Part of the furniture
If you are respecing for sure, do it tomorrow. Since you'll get a free full respec on the launch of New Frontiers. :) Saves you like 4p. :D

DavidH

Part of the furniture
Yeah, I know. Was just reminding that you SHOULD use it then :p I was also gonna put down that you HAVE to use it at your current level, dunno if its realmlevel as well. But since you're 50, I didn't have to say that. So the post was useless, I see that now ^^

Lakashnik

Fledgling Freddie
he he he. bah i should have got another char to lvl 50 so could gimp specc it wit a free respec ... to late oh well

Araudry

Fledgling Freddie
always said the days i get apoc sword i ill spec back 2hand ;p

Mybuddies

Fledgling Freddie
It's up to you if you fancy going 2h pally. You are paying for your account and (especially if you have plenty cash to respec back) then give it a try if you really feel you must. Having said that, I would ask yourself this question though: do I want to be invited to groups?

You see, I quite often see people yelling 'looking for blockbot' or 'looking for tank, 50 shield' but I've never seen anyone yelling 'looking for 2h pally'.

The paladin is meant to be a pure tank, stand there & soak up the damage and aggro while the casters/damage dealers in the group finish off the mob. I'd worry that if you respecced to 2h you may not be so popular.

I've got a paladin atm with 42 shield and 39 slash. I don't like to be 'boring'; I wanted to be able to take down mobs. But I hit like a wet hankie even toa'd and buffed. I finally figured that most of the time I use ammy slash anyway (29 slash).

So when I get my respec I am going 50 shield & 29 slash. Because I feel I can't fight against the tide. My character was meant to be a big metal obstacle to mobs and that's just the way it is.

Best of luck whatever you choose.

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
If you want to try a good 2h character then make a 2h troll/norse savage or a warrior on another server, it wouldn't hurt trying 2h spec but those people above are right, groups just wouldn't really look for 2h palas when they have merc/armsman.(soulfly was 2h and respecced back to s/s quite quickly, he will probaby reply to this thread)

Rarr

Fledgling Freddie
I respecced to the following two handed spec recently:

50 2 handed
48 chants
31 slash
8 parry

its actually pretty good. I love the damage I do now (from 160 on yellow cons to 300 - 500 depending on chain) and the added complexity of positional styles that make a BIG difference to damage and outcome of fight. I went slash because I was slashed specced before, and can therefore swap to sword and shield if I need to (using current weps such as traitors dagger) should a bow class attack me. Its surprising how much I still block.

Heres a run down for me on difference, PvE and RvR:

PvE

PROS: I can now take down yellows and oranges in double quick time, especially if they are not agro and I can get a positional style in. Have noticed that I can swap from side to back positional style as the stun effects seem to stack in PvE, rendering the mob dead often before it has a chance to hit me once.
PROS: In a group, I can still hold agro if I need (get mastery of parry, helps alot) but can also work very well with another tank, using positionals for massive damage and making xping much much quiker then the slash slash block block tedium.
CONS: I can no longer be confident at taking multiple purple mobs, such as diamond mobs in df, without buffs.
CONS: Of course I am not the first choice for traditional xp groups, since I am no longer a block bot.

RvR

PROS: I can actually kill peeps! You may laugh, but when ur s/s specced and chasing down a caster, only to hit it for 80 damage (some of which is absorbed) and realise you have to chase and hit it like 20 times, its nice to be able to hit for 250 on first hit, 300 on second and up to 500 on third.
PROS: I can also kill heavy tanks. Gone are the days when I would chip away at a Mid or Hib tank and get nowhere (last man standing but with no kills!).
PROS: I can also kill pesky stealthers, but usually only if I'm buffed, due to the problems with speccing high chants and having two weapon skill lines. Have killed a mid stealther in DF when he had SoM activated and I wasnt buffed, however.
CONS: No longer can guard peeps in group (unless have bodyguard of course)
CONS: Go down faster if more then 1 tank having a go at me
CONS: Dont have slam! This is a big one, specially against sb and ns. However, with s/s found could only get maybe 2 hits in after slam anyhow, and with 1 handed damage, this gave little advantage

Overall I like the spec, especially since it has breathed new life into a character I had previously tired of. As other peeps have said in this thread, you can always respec back (spec stones also drop in new NF dungeon) so its not a big pain if you decide you dont like it. Also, having SoM really helps if your going 2 handed, as does a decent melee health buffer proc on your weapon.

As an alternative spec, you may want to take chants down to 46 (losing major AF one, but this doesnt stack with Cleric buffs anyhow) and put the points into slash or parry. If you want to be controversial, spec low chants with no parry and go 42 shield aslo, so you can slam and then get in the high damage positionals! Whatever you do, have fun with it :drink:

dante_must_die

Loyal Freddie
2 hand pally!!!
Hmm imo dont do it m8s make an other char!
You may have good dmg but you will be the worst melle unit in the game couse pallys as you know dont have evade ability and with the little points you will put on parry you get the blows from every where!
What you want to have instand deaths in rvr from all melle units ?
If you want dmg make a good merc or a pole armsman!
This is my opinion on the matter i thought the possibility to make this pally 2 hand but i think it not worth it!
Skdante 50 lvl pally 6rr ;)

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Think make *another* pally as 2h, why?

Most people said smite clerics are gimps, yet some smite clerics are among the best because they tried and learned and people learned how good they are.

Most people said reavers are gimps for RvR yet they ended up in fotm groups when someone proven how good they are.

Mythic puts a lot of effort in balancing most of the classes and they claim 2h pally have a chance and on other servers you can see succesfull 2h pallies. So you can win. But also I have to say, most people would avoid a 2h pally in their group unless they know the said pally since low levels. A 2h pally depends on one thing to get groups: People who learned how to treat him, how to trust him, and how to use a 2h pally in their groups. Most people don't learn that and won't learn that.

With FOTM mania on prydwen where most people know the "best" speccs and claims everyone else are gimps, you see high level people who don't know how to use charges, how some procs works, don't know the best camps in the dungeons they use to level, you have many characters who PLed to level 50, and a player going in a FOTM group with NO experience about his new favorite character. A 2h pally has no chance in it.

But if you say: You got a few friends who want to have a group for fun and you leveled the character by playing from level 1 (or 20) to 50, and they know your role in group etc. that is a whole different story. And if you play for fun? Becuase it is a game and not professional sports... Play any spec you like and have fun with friends who do the same. With a 2h plally, you will know who your real friends are, and if you try to level a 2h pally you will know who will help you. And I think that worths more than anything. Friends worth more than realm points.

Usura

Fledgling Freddie
Esselinithia said:
But if you say: You got a few friends who want to have a group for fun and you leveled the character by playing from level 1 (or 20) to 50, and they know your role in group etc. that is a whole different story. And if you play for fun? Becuase it is a game and not professional sports... Play any spec you like and have fun with friends who do the same. With a 2h plally, you will know who your real friends are, and if you try to level a 2h pally you will know who will help you. And I think that worths more than anything. Friends worth more than realm points.

wise words, m8 :)

Lakashnik

Fledgling Freddie
Esselinithia said:

2h Pally lvl 1 -46. then respec to get to 50 or would never have made it.
Just respecced bck... and gimped self in process by speccing wrong. oh well nvm. may respec bck to s/s altho it will cost me.

Afran

Part of the furniture
Esselinithia said:
Most people said reavers are gimps for RvR yet they ended up in fotm groups when someone proven how good they are.

Reaver's don't run in fotm groups :p

Marchus

Fledgling Freddie
Afran said:
Reaver's don't run in fotm groups :p

Albs dunno what reavers can do, and what they should do. Tho the banelord path helped to make reavers more group friendly. There are other servers where reavers are more welcomed in groups, not every reaver soloed to +rr8 -p

I don't have endurance probs, only at the end of the fights. Zahur lvl 5 ability, end pots, second wind, tireless 1 in NF, end proc wep if needed helps a lot ;)

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Werrin said:
Stalky in AoD does.
Well learned and well played characters played in fotm groups, when people starts copying them and PLing in hurryto get a fotm character, that is responsible for losing the fotm status in many cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom