10 years.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Ten years since that blonde haired manic depressive grumpy chap blew his head of with a large bore shotgun. And also took the greatest rock band in recent times with it. I cant think of one band since that has even compared to Nirvana in all honesty. There has been great bands but not ones ill get pissed off about when they fold in 10 years time.

Discuss.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Faith No More were better, and arguably more influential.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
I never understood Mr Pattons crowd peeing antics and his crazy music. Too many synthesizers for my liking and oh my word they got bad. I think the last of their stuff i heard was 'Digging a grave', my mate was very much into them and i heard most of their stuff but i just didnt get it.

IM also not talking about 'influential' bands, im talking about bands that have released several albums and havent really fucked up one song. Perfect bands. Nirvana were that to me, Nevermind was too perfect bladebla but they didnt half kick butt.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
I'll agree that FNM were a bit "gay" as the years grew by, and Nevermind was a top-quality album, but Nirvana's other stuff didn't really do much for me, so i'm more allied FNM.

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
fuck them both, their influence led to nu-metal and shite, shite SHITE grunge.

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
maxi said:

:eek7: A band as great as Nirvana is BOUND to do that. Doesnt compromise the fact that they were blinding. Have a smoke, lock yourself in your room and listen to the 4 major albums and surprise yourself.

My personal fave has to be In Utero due to the typical harsh sounding production of Steve Albini. I know they were very famous and had lots of fans etcetc, they werent 'cool' to like but their fame was very much justified.

Sydrik

Resident Freddy
RIP MrCobain. Nirvana paved the way for a lot of shite but that just shows how damn good they were. No one gets influenced by shite bands. Never a truer word spoked by doomy, nirvana were the closest to the perfect band there has ever been. Still listening, still rocking and no doubt will be in 10 years time..... ooo eck i'll be 32 by then.... meh ted'll be even older mwahahahahaha :clap:

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
mank said:
Go listen the Pixies!

Now THATS a better band... Since nirvana tho, what has there honestly been? Sonic Youth are still going but their stuff is getting weaker tho theres still genius in these people.

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
Nirvana made one good album. Doesn't make them a particularly great band, and as such they weren't a particaularly great band.

Pearl Jam were a lot better, as were Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Smashing Pumpkins, Sonic Youth, Stone Temple Pilots, Screaming Trees and so many more bands that I don't care to mention.

Don't get me wrong, they were ok but as Mudhoney sang about the Seattle scene.. so Overblown!

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Sir Frizz said:
Faith No More were better, and arguably more influential.

They were far, far better. At least Patton and Co realised that no matter how heavy the music gets, it still has to have a tune in it to be any good. What's more they never really lost it imo. Album of the Year has a coupld of ropey tracks, but The Real Thing, Angel Dust and King For a Day were all awesome, and will always be 3 of my favourite albums of the 1990's. And they don't get the maxi seal of approval either, which doubles their value to the musical world imo.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
The MTV2 Cobain week is grating at me now. I enjoy the odd Nirvana song here and there (my brother's band are headlining some tribute night which I may drift along for), but I get very sick of them very quicky.
There's also something about the tagline: "Kurt Cobain RIP Week... in association with the NME". It ceases to sound like a tribute and more like grave robbing. But then, the letters "NME" have that effect on me.

I missed Nirvana, I would have been about 8.. I think I was just getting into Roxette cassettes at the time.. :(

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
He was the dude from Mayhem who started like the entire black metal scene after Balthory and Venom. Some other dude from Mayhem and Burzum etc, Varg "Count Grishnakh" Vikerne murdered him though.

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
Wish I could say I've heard of any of them :eek7:

Good to hear that kind of black metal isn't all violent and stuff though, as most people would perceive it to be ;)

shanks

Fledgling Freddie
Jonaldo said:
Wish I could say I've heard of any of them :eek7:

Good to hear that kind of black metal isn't all violent and stuff though, as most people would perceive it to be ;)

Nah, it's just the norwegians.

And Chuck from death is far more influental then Euronymous could have ever been. But guess you cant cult worship someone if his death isnt selfinflicted in some way ( suicide, drug use, hanging with psychopats and so on)

The only "legend becaues of early death" I really miss is Hendrix anyway.

Sar

Part of the furniture
maxi said:
Much fear do I sense in you.

Sar

Part of the furniture
FNM were fucking superb. Their version of Easy is my all time fave track. Just so damn chilled. And the vid was funny as fk too.

Nirvana were excellent too - seminal and original, and SLTS is still to this day one of the most standout tracks in musical history (imo!).

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
maxi said:
Awww, I missed this on the first read. Anyway it would appear that to be an influential artist as far as maxi's concerned, you not only have to create a new genre, but it also has to be a genre he likes. So influencing twee french pop is good, but any influence in the world of metal whatsoever and it's bad.

Don't you just love it when people mix up the objective and the subjective?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom