1.70x - DAoC intriduces CoH style sidekicking

Arindra

Fledgling Freddie
New Grouping Level Range Changes

With 1.70, we are relaxing the rules that govern the level ranges that can effectively group together. The intent of this new system is to allow lower-level players to group with substantially higher-level group leaders, and enable them to make some contribution to combat and spellcasting.

The system works as follows:

- Whenever a low-level character (5th level or higher) joins a group led by a higher level character, they are temporarily adjusted so that they can hit and land spells on monsters of the range that are normally fought by the group leader. They will be able to hit, and also to do damage to these monsters.

- This adjustment kicks in when a player approximately 90% of the level of the group leader or less joins a group. This means that if anyone less than 17th level joins a group led by a 20th level group leader, their to-hit and damage are boosted up so that they can hit and damage monsters that are commonly fought by a 20th level group. Also, while grouped, they will take less damage per hit from high level monsters.

- This system does not affect items such as weapons or armor - only to-hit and damage, and to some extent, damage taken is affected.

- Lower level group members must be within 3000 units of the group leader in order to receive the bonus.

- Experience gained by the lower level character is the same as it currently is on the live servers when lower level characters are grouped with their higher level friends.

- There are diminishing returns on the effectiveness of wide level ranges in this system. Any character that is approximately half the group leader's level or lower will not see as much bonus from this system as characters closer to the target range; although they will still get some benefit.

Thegreatest

Fledgling Freddie
Nice addition, only thing that's bad about this is that lowbies will spam higher lvl group leaders more for a spot in a group...

Lendan

Fledgling Freddie
Excellent system. I'm not sure if it was really needed though. I keep seeing lots of kind, thoughtful, team spirited people helping players much lower level than them get xp.

For some reason it seems to be almost always a green / grey con shaman they're helping. But no matter - keep up the good work people!

Moo

Fledgling Freddie
total shameless rip of coh

and not implemented as well as coh's sidekick system either

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Moo said:
total shameless rip of coh

and not implemented as well as coh's sidekick system either

How does that work? I'm not into superhero stuff so COH didn't appeal to me.

behatch

Fledgling Freddie
Svartmetall said:

amagaaaaad!!! you like superman though,right? aha :wub:

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
rip off?
every MMORPG game these days takes from others!

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Svartmetall said:

Basicly u invite a lowbie to "sidekick" meaning he hets one level under the persone he sidekicks for. no new abilitys or anything like that.. just gets temporary higher in level.. works great when sidekicking a healer as the heals acually gets boosted loads... havent found it working to good on tanks or any other sort of damage dealing class as u still get the "low lvl" damage ur doing if ur solo. ur not getting boosted in damage calculations...

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Superb. Anything that promotes grouping and helps new players is a very welcome addition.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
cHodAX said:
Superb. Anything that promotes grouping and helps new players is a very welcome addition.

Agreed 100%, particularly the 'helping new players' bit.

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
cHodAX said:

Yes!!! thats very important, most have /level 20 and it must be really hard for new players to find groups, especially if you already have no idea where to go to...

Wichtel

Fledgling Freddie
Ctuchik said:
Basicly u invite a lowbie to "sidekick" meaning he hets one level under the persone he sidekicks for. no new abilitys or anything like that.. just gets temporary higher in level.. works great when sidekicking a healer as the heals acually gets boosted loads... havent found it working to good on tanks or any other sort of damage dealing class as u still get the "low lvl" damage ur doing if ur solo. ur not getting boosted in damage calculations...

Works for all classes, Tanks have higher HP, Blasters and Scrappers have higher damage and accuracy. In DAoC it will work even better cause you rarely get new spells but only upgraded versions.
And about the xp...
Hope they make it as in CoH that you get slightly less than being in a good group at your level.

Sarumancer

Fledgling Freddie
Errrr hangaboutaminnit !

Thats precisely the way DAOC -used- to be before they slapped the changes on the game to stop higher levels powerlevelling lowbies as easily. In the early days you got the xp for what the mobs con was to you, not what it was to the killer/high level.

Now, if we could just get them to put the damage adds back the way it was...

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
What id like to know is will this affect RvR? o_O

Can you take a level 20 player into a 50 grp and he will have same chanse to hit and take same dmg as a level 45 (90% of 50)? Doubt many would use it (specially in opted grps since they never take <50 anyway) but still, would be a substantial change in rvr if it is so.

Arindra

Fledgling Freddie
Fana said:

At level 50 in rvr, equipment, RAs, and MAs are significant.

Wheras, at level 20, in xp groups, thes ethings are not significant.

This is why, with the possible exception of relic and other zerg raids, relying on sidekicking in rvr isn't going to work.

It's just a nice tool to allow people to be slightly more flexible when building xp groups.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Sarumancer said:

Yep, I enjoyed spending a few hours every week damage buffing new chars at Prydwen Bridge. Could never understand why they nerfed it tbh, was still much slower than getting a power level and at least people actually learned to play thier class rather than start playing at 50 in emain.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Remove /level IMO, and make it so PLing only helps ppl 50% of the PL groups main char, in other words PL group wouldnt work for anyone under 25. Then the new blood stands a chance at getting to play the game.

Im surprised Mythic havnt introduced "Buy now, level later!", pay $50 and get an instant L50 RR5. Heh, maybe I speak too soon...

Pin

One of Freddy's beloved
Sarumancer said:
Errrr hangaboutaminnit !

Thats precisely the way DAOC -used- to be before they slapped the changes on the game to stop higher levels powerlevelling lowbies as easily. In the early days you got the xp for what the mobs con was to you, not what it was to the killer/high level.

Errrrrr noitisnt!

There was never anything in game which made it easier for a lower-level char to participate in a higher-level group.
Going right back (to 1.36, at least - I didn't play before) XP was always adjusted based on relative-levels of group members, and back then it was a MUCH harsher adjustment than it is now - it used to be almost impossible to powerlevel (as it is today) by grouping a lowbie, as they'd get ~1 xp total instead of capped xp. This was GREATLY relaxed somewhere around 1.4x (maybe low 1.5x) and powerlevelling became possible.

The way damage adds were, it meant that someone could do 1-10 pretty quickly with a high-level friend to help - back then the friend couldn't group-up and kill things himself as the XP would cap at ~1. Now they just group up with the same effect.

This change means that the lowbie who is being 'powerlevelled' can actually play actively (still won't be doing much - like a level 45 using a level 10 nuke for damage, or whatever).

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Pin said:
Errrrrr noitisnt!

There was never anything in game which made it easier for a lower-level char to participate in a higher-level group.

yes it was, but it never made it out of the beta.. :)

back then u could multi ding on one kill if the PL'ers were high enuff lvl...

Deepfat

Fledgling Freddie
old.Whoodoo said:
Remove /level IMO, and make it so PLing only helps ppl 50% of the PL groups main char, in other words PL group wouldnt work for anyone under 25. Then the new blood stands a chance at getting to play the game.

Im surprised Mythic havnt introduced "Buy now, level later!", pay $50 and get an instant L50 RR5. Heh, maybe I speak too soon...

See Ebay for details :D

harm

Fledgling Freddie
Fana said:

Can you take a level 20 player into a 50 grp and he will have same chanse to hit and take same dmg as a level 45 (90% of 50)? Doubt many would use it (specially in opted grps since they never take <50 anyway) but still, would be a substantial change in rvr if it is so.

Afaik it does currently not work for rvr. It wouldn't make any sense either as there are no longer a penalty to hit higher level player chars.

Arindra

Fledgling Freddie
Ctuchik said:
yes it was, but it never made it out of the beta.. :)

back then u could multi ding on one kill if the PL'ers were high enuff lvl...

Only becuase there used to be a bug where the group bonus (the bonus you get for mobs BAFing) wasn't shared according to relative levels, and didn't have the overally xp-per-kill cap applied to it.

And the point Pin was making was that even then, it didn't mean a lowbie could contribute in the group - by actually, y'know, hitting stuff.

Under these rules you still won't get the multi-level-ding thing because you will still be capped at xp equivalent to a solo orange kill, and high level players will still take more xp than lowbies if they share a group.

Rookiescot

Fledgling Freddie
Yay !! makes leveling buffbots even easier.
Which is what this game needs ..... more buffbots. : :mad:

NetNifty

Fledgling Freddie
It won't unless "sidekicking" affects buffs and heals (if the bot is healing) or the bot is assisting with melee.

judas

One of Freddy's beloved
Fana said:

think it is like that in rvr and have been for serveral patches o_O
well something a bit like that anyway.

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Sarumancer said:
Eh, no. You're thinking EverQuest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom